Sign in to follow this  
sgncfc

No relegation from League Two

Its good news for Stevenage the town and its fans.  The worst team in Div 2 by a country mile.  But missed a bullet there.

But they do want promotion for top 3 and play offs for next 4.  Cannot see this being agreed by EFL and FA and relegating teams from Div 1 if the season not finished properly as proscribed by Webber yesterday this will lead to legal action by the relegated clubs.  Same as will be the case in the PL if Championship not finished.  Maybe strapped clubs cannot afford legal action this does appear to be unfair and unprecedented.

22 minutes ago, pete said:

Its good news for Stevenage the town and its fans.  The worst team in Div 2 by a country mile.  But missed a bullet there.

But they do want promotion for top 3 and play offs for next 4.  Cannot see this being agreed by EFL and FA and relegating teams from Div 1 if the season not finished properly as proscribed by Webber yesterday this will lead to legal action by the relegated clubs.  Same as will be the case in the PL if Championship not finished.  Maybe strapped clubs cannot afford legal action this does appear to be unfair and unprecedented.

it would be a class action if so

one legal action on behalf of a group

14 hours ago, Bill said:

it would be a class action if so

one legal action on behalf of a group

Class actions are not permitted in UK law. 

22 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Class actions are not permitted in UK law. 

How can they get round this? 

As has been said, individual clubs just cannot afford it. Money shouldn't be the only barrier to this (but I appreciate it currently is). A Lawyer needs to set aside  the financial gains and be prepared to step up to the professional 'challenge' and set legal history perhaps?  

Most of them could afford it. If not then am sure there will be some lawyers prepared to take up the case on affordable terms if they think there is a case.

in my view though there is a bit of a difference between a PPG enforced relegation between say league 1 and league 2 in comparison to from the premier league, not in practical terms but possibly in legal terms. League 1 and 2 are part of the same league structure overseen by the same body and such a relegation does not require clubs to forfeit their share in the EFL. 

No chance of a lawyer doing it for free. NCFC will likely need its own legal challenge soon. It will be our most expensive signing of the season.

Perhaps not free , but not at full whack. It's the kudos I was thinking of. Easy to say when it's not my skill set that needs paying for. Minor details I guess.

The legal process, and potential appeals, will swallow up time, which, seeing as we are in May already, will delay the start of next season. Get the games played will be the 'perfect' solution, but when?

The way I see this playing out is that the EFL will try and adopt this PPG and promotion/relegation protocol across all its divisions. In the champ they will say it’s the fallback because they intend to play. But once adopted there will be little incentive for them to complete the season and it will get cancelled at some point.

once adopted by the EFL the premier league will come under huge pressure from the FA to adopt the same “fallback“ protocol if the premier league cannot finish. It’s this decision that the club must fight. 

It’s getting more and more ridiculous by the day. In yesterday’s league 1 meeting there was talk of extending the play offs down to 10th to include Ipswich

43 minutes ago, JF said:

It’s getting more and more ridiculous by the day. In yesterday’s league 1 meeting there was talk of extending the play offs down to 10th to include Ipswich

Rumours on the Ipswich forum that it was at Evan's request...

3 minutes ago, Grant Holts Moustache said:

Rumours on the Ipswich forum that it was at Evan's request...

You can just see a situation where we get relegated on ppg and Ipswich end up in the play offs in 10th position and we are both back in the championship next season!

Reports this morning that how and who is getting relegated from the PL if season is curtailed will be discussed in Monday’s meeting. Hopefully the clubs involved will have their lawyers in on the call! 

15 minutes ago, JF said:

Reports this morning that how and who is getting relegated from the PL if season is curtailed will be discussed in Monday’s meeting. Hopefully the clubs involved will have their lawyers in on the call! 

When Webber said on Sky that the club didn't agree with relegation based on an incomplete season I think he was saying politely that Norwich City would sue in those circumstances. Although class actions are not allowed in the UK I think it's possible that the club could seek contributions from others. 

I have no legal knowledge but common sense and a bit of googling suggests we would stand a good chance of winning such a case. It's looking more and more likely that it won't be necessary as the Government and EPL seem determined to make June a "festival of football" 

There is a suggestion in the press this morning that 5 substitutes will be allowed. Not sure if that would be to our advantage or not! 

Well that meeting will effectively be rubber stamping us and Villa then and arguing over West ham or Bournemouth because of the two PPG variations we've read about, weighted or non-weighted.

1 minute ago, dylanisabaddog said:

When Webber said on Sky that the club didn't agree with relegation based on an incomplete season I think he was saying politely that Norwich City would sue in those circumstances. Although class actions are not allowed in the UK I think it's possible that the club could seek contributions from others. 

I have no legal knowledge but common sense and a bit of googling suggests we would stand a good chance of winning such a case. It's looking more and more likely that it won't be necessary as the Government and EPL seem determined to make June a "festival of football" 

There is a suggestion in the press this morning that 5 substitutes will be allowed. Not sure if that would be to our advantage or not! 

The chance for Stiepi to make a difference?

Seriously, it's going ahead isn't it. 

Unless R comes to the fore (and I don't mean beside our name in the table).

Any relegation based on PPG must not be accepted. We should make it clear we would regard it as unlawful and will take action if pushed through. 

The way I see it we are in a no lose situation now. We were bottom and I think most of us had pretty much accepted we were likely going down. So we either get the chance to play the matches out and have a chance on the pitch, or we get relegated on ppg and let the legal teams take the PL for as much as they can and possibly have relegation blocked 

Edited by JF
  • Like 2

That is s very fair summary JF. It's now a question of (more) waiting.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, pete said:

Not good news for our poor Kings Lynn though 🙄

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Diane said:

Not good news for our poor Kings Lynn though 🙄

Unless promotion is allowed still?

3 minutes ago, JF said:

The way I see it we are in a no lose situation now. We were bottom and I think most of us had pretty much accepted we were likely going down. So we either get the chance to play the matches out and have a chance on the pitch, or we get relegated on ppg and let the legal teams take the PL for as much as they can as possibly have relegation blocked 

Not if we don’t resist it at this stage. If we accept it as the fallback snd it then happens I don’t see how we can challenge it. 

4 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Not if we don’t resist it at this stage. If we accept it as the fallback snd it then happens I don’t see how we can challenge it. 

None of the bottom 6 will accept it

No difference what league is being discussed all teams who feel they have a chance of the playoffs should be included unless it’s physically impossible. Whatever decisions are made will not solve matters.

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

Well that meeting will effectively be rubber stamping us and Villa then and arguing over West ham or Bournemouth because of the two PPG variations we've read about, weighted or non-weighted.

I suppose f West Ham and Villa go down they will use this covid as an argument not to be fined and have points deducted for breaking the FFP rules in the EFL!

Can’t see any relegation from the premiership, like I’ve said all along they will probably promote the top two from each division, without relegation, have 5 teams relegated the following season if we don’t get back to playing! Or kill the season.

Edited by Indy

Promotion and relegation by playing only. 

Any other idea is so stupid they may as well put all 91 clubs in a hat and pick them out to decide the leagues. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

I assume we either seek an injunction or register our intention to sue should they try to relegate us in that way. I'm certain that we will already have taken legal advice and Webber was basing his statements in the Sky interview on that advice. I very much doubt that he is basing his views on anything but the best advice available. 

1 hour ago, Indy said:

I suppose f West Ham and Villa go down they will use this covid as an argument not to be fined and have points deducted for breaking the FFP rules in the EFL!

Can’t see any relegation from the premiership, like I’ve said all along they will probably promote the top two from each division, without relegation, have 5 teams relegated the following season if we don’t get back to playing! Or kill the season.

The EFL is promoting this as their protocol for curtailment across all their divisions. They want three up regardless of whether the season finishes or not.