Football in England: Government 'opens door for safe return in June'

14 minutes ago, Borman said:

Sunbathing 2 meters apart? Yes

Playing football - likely not 

Parking meters ?

Gas meters ?

52 minutes ago, C Goodenough said:

T. 

I know you'll see this. Come on answer these questions 1 and 2 + 4,5 & 6 give us a response please

Go on T. Please it would make my evening (quote sad I know) 

You are teasing me. 

Telegraph now reporting £350m due to broadcasters even if they complete the season and clubs not happy. Too right they won’t be. What a shambles. 

3 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Telegraph now reporting £350m due to broadcasters even if they complete the season and clubs not happy. Too right they won’t be. What a shambles. 

Strange one this. I presume the broadcasters are after a rebate as the product isn’t as exciting without the crowd perhaps. But on the flip side surely their viewing figures will be higher. 

1 minute ago, JF said:

Strange one this. I presume the broadcasters are after a rebate as the product isn’t as exciting without the crowd perhaps. But on the flip side surely their viewing figures will be higher. 

I just don’t get how it can contractually be the case. This acceptance that all this money is due back from the off has been a little strange to be honest. The contract must be awful because in all other respects the premier league appears to hold a lot of the cards. Certain broadcasters are nothing without premier league football. That ought to provide some leverage. 

Or maybe the governments insistence on some games to be shown free to air is a higher amount of games and more higher profile games than expected 

1 minute ago, JF said:

Or maybe the governments insistence on some games to be shown free to air is a higher amount of games and more higher profile games than expected 

I would guess as said ages ago that the broadcasters expected to show the games in the normal season time frame. They've been losing money and advertising since then. That money is lost never to return after all a cancelled subscription is a cancelled subscription.

3 minutes ago, essex canary said:

Has that idea been confirmed?

I guess a double whammy for Sky/Bt. Non contract subscribers are unlikely to return if they can get a fair chunk of football without doing so whilst no pub contracts.

I wonder if clubs have been instructed to rebate all tickets promptly at the start of June so that no one can claim they should have rights to watch the games at Carrow Road on a steam for no extra cost? 

• Like 1

Maybe the government should start with this before football. Strange to think coaches, physios etc will be given full PPE to treat a players ankle who has been tested negative 3 times in a week when our nurses and carers have to treat positive patients.

A third of UK nursing staff lack proper protective kit - survey

More than one in three nurses and healthcare assistants in the UK are caring for Covid-19 patients without adequate personal protective equipment (PPE), a poll suggests.

The survey of more than 5,000 nursing staff for the Royal College of Nursing found 34% were working without adequate PPE, including gowns and respirator masks.

Almost a quarter (23%) of respondents who need gowns said there were not enough for them to use, with a further 34% concerned about the supply for their next shift.

The government has previously said it is working "around the clock" to provide PPE to the NHS and social care sector.

Maybe when they said they are working around the clock it is to make sure the EPL get their PPE so they can boost the moral of our doctors, nurses and carers.

13 hours ago, essex canary said:

I guess a double whammy for Sky/Bt. Non contract subscribers are unlikely to return if they can get a fair chunk of football without doing so whilst no pub contracts.

Interesting that today on Skybet you can see every German game ( subject to a bet ). I wonder if Sky BT etc will be allowed all games and the likes of BT sell on to the like of UNI bet etc.

17 hours ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

I thought (s)he said that (s)he works with 'risk'? James Bond (s)he ain't. Could be the German version of Aviva?

17 hours ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

I thought (s)he said that (s)he works with 'risk'? James Bond (s)he ain't. Could be the German version of Aviva?

Nah.

Personal trainer, risk assessment, highly motivated......gotta be SAS 😉

PL to discuss the training instructions given to clubs on Monday.  Yet another obstacle to get over as there as some rather idiotic suggestions regarding issues such as wearing masks in training and looking away from the ball in corner situations.  Surprised these have not been agreed not all the proposals will be agreed needing further amendment and more delay.  Training for all to commence on 18 May when distancing still to operate PL want to start on 1 June this is getting further away and people are still dying.  And we don't know how the R factor will go after lockdown relaxed gone up everywhere relaxation taken place.

Still a long way to go for Project Restart and we haven't heard officially from the players Sterling, Aguero, Deenny and Hanley not keen, there will be some who refuse.  

Steve Bruce urges Premier League rethink over restart date from coronavirus shutdown

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52696822

Some cold water poured by Jonathan Liew in The Guardian on the idea that it is financially imperative for football as a whole for the Premier League season to be played to a finish:

There is another important point to be made here. The threat to top-level football – a terrifying spectre of Premier League giants toppling by the dozen – has been wildly exaggerated, largely by those with a clear interest in resuming the season as soon as possible. The majority of Premier League clubs have billionaire owners with access to plentiful lines of credit. Grassroots organisations, lower-league clubs, virtually the entire women’s game: this is where the real threat lies, and it is both disingenuous and deeply offensive for the very biggest clubs to paint their own plight in similar terms.

For in order to survive, the Premier League doesn’t need to prosper. It simply needs to suffer less than its rivals: Ligue 1, or the Eredivisie, or the Championship, whose ailing corpses can then be picked apart like carrion. Cash-rich clubs with deep pockets will simply be able to harvest a devastated market for bargains. The pie as a whole may be smaller, but it will be divided even more grotesquely in favour of the richest. It’s like the old joke about two hikers being chased through the woods by a ravenous bear.

“This is hopeless,” pants one of them desperately. “There’s no way either of us can outrun a bear.”

“I don’t need to outrun a bear,” his companion points out. “I only need to outrun you.”

Often you will hear it said that the prosperity of the Premier League is vital to the game as a whole. This is the sort of faddish pseudo-economics that was debunked in wider society some generations ago, and yet remains curiously persistent in football, which continues to operate by the maxim that what’s good for the top is good for everyone. According to its most recent accounts the Premier League is sitting on cash reserves of £1.5bn: enough money to guarantee the entire pyramid several times over if it so chose. If smaller clubs end up going to the wall during this crisis, remember: their fate will have been a conscious, ideological choice.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Some cold water poured by Jonathan Liew in The Guardian on the idea that it is financially imperative for football as a whole for the Premier League season to be played to a finish:

There is another important point to be made here. The threat to top-level football – a terrifying spectre of Premier League giants toppling by the dozen – has been wildly exaggerated, largely by those with a clear interest in resuming the season as soon as possible. The majority of Premier League clubs have billionaire owners with access to plentiful lines of credit. Grassroots organisations, lower-league clubs, virtually the entire women’s game: this is where the real threat lies, and it is both disingenuous and deeply offensive for the very biggest clubs to paint their own plight in similar terms.

For in order to survive, the Premier League doesn’t need to prosper. It simply needs to suffer less than its rivals: Ligue 1, or the Eredivisie, or the Championship, whose ailing corpses can then be picked apart like carrion. Cash-rich clubs with deep pockets will simply be able to harvest a devastated market for bargains. The pie as a whole may be smaller, but it will be divided even more grotesquely in favour of the richest. It’s like the old joke about two hikers being chased through the woods by a ravenous bear.

“This is hopeless,” pants one of them desperately. “There’s no way either of us can outrun a bear.”

“I don’t need to outrun a bear,” his companion points out. “I only need to outrun you.”

Often you will hear it said that the prosperity of the Premier League is vital to the game as a whole. This is the sort of faddish pseudo-economics that was debunked in wider society some generations ago, and yet remains curiously persistent in football, which continues to operate by the maxim that what’s good for the top is good for everyone. According to its most recent accounts the Premier League is sitting on cash reserves of £1.5bn: enough money to guarantee the entire pyramid several times over if it so chose. If smaller clubs end up going to the wall during this crisis, remember: their fate will have been a conscious, ideological choice.

Yes I read this nonsense on here - that the Prem teeters on the precipice and if it falls it takes football down with it . 

The prem has vast financial , global support and reserves , and would most certainly not collapse even if Sky took their  money back . The wealthy owners would just underwrite the losses . 

Football will collapse if the EPL doesn’t conclude is utter rubbish. 

I wonder if Purples post will get a response from those on here who have gone on endlessly about that which the article is challenging

7 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

I wonder if Purples post will get a response from those on here who have gone on endlessly about that which the article is challenging

As that article says, the financial threat has been way over-hyped, for obvious reasons, and in particular how much money the UK TV companies would actually demand back, as opposed to the massive headline figures that keep getting touted, including here.

Some reports says the UK companies would play nice for their longer-term benefit, not least because their bargaining position is not now as strong as it used to be, and that only the overseas groups would want paying, perhaps to the tune of as little as £150m.

But an empty (or to an extent empty) threat is only an empty threat if it is seen as such, and there is a PR machine dedicated to pretending the threat is as real as real can.