Making Plans

Football in England: Government 'opens door for safe return in June'

3 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

If that’s the case there’s little point in resuming the season as most games will be worthless barring fights for European places.

And don’t forget, we must resume the season for the ‘integrity of the game’ and to help ‘boost morale’

I’m basing that on a ppg finish if we can’t play out the fixtures, if PL and championship finish there will definitely be relegation. PL finishes and Championship doesn’t is anyone’s guess! 

You need to be honest with people and that can be brutal. Clearly some are in a state of denial and a lot of people including some  on here don’t like and can’t take the truth and get defensive aggressive. The coaches I work with are good with those who want to improve but I agree they don’t work with people who just want they egos massaged and say they want to improve but aren’t willing to hear criticism. But then good coaches don’t want to work with these people. You have to want to listen learn and improve. Clearly a lot here would rather just people died than hear the truth. 

13 minutes ago, JF said:

Most of them. Many teams will take into account that although they are safe this season it doesn’t mean they will be in future seasons if this were to happen. Any vote that sees teams relegated this way now sets a precedent on the future if this or something else were to jeopardise a season again. Basically Turkeys don’t vote for Christmas 

Depends how they structure future relegations though really doesn't it. If you were any of the mid table sides would you vote for 6 relegation spots next season? If its 4 a season for 3 seasons may be different but then will the big boys want to dilute the tv monies for 3 years?

4 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Depends how they structure future relegations though really doesn't it. If you were any of the mid table sides would you vote for 6 relegation spots next season? If its 4 a season for 3 seasons may be different but then will the big boys want to dilute the tv monies for 3 years?

No chance of an expanded league. Again Turkeys don’t vote for Christmas. If it’s ppg and I don’t think it will be as it’s looking like getting played out I can’t see any promotion or relegation irrelevant of what parry and f.a are saying 

Just now, Graham Paddons Beard said:

The only way they won’t finish the Prem is if the government stop it . I think it is as simple as that now. 

Is breaking news at the moment that in the last week the R rate has risen again. They won’t be playing until we move to the next phase 

Indeed, if the R rate goes over 1 and we will know by next Friday, back to lockdown and another 2 weeks nearer the end of the greedy boys dream.

My you, according to the briefing tonight, R is not as important as it was before Wednesday.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, T said:

You need to be honest with people and that can be brutal. Clearly some are in a state of denial (1) and a lot of people including some  on here don’t like and can’t take the truth and get defensive aggressive(2). The coaches I work with are good with those who want to improve but I agree they don’t work with people who just want they egos massaged(3) and say they want to improve but aren’t willing to hear criticism. But then good coaches don’t want to work with these people(4). You have to want to listen learn and improve. Clearly a lot here would rather just people died than hear the truth(5)

(1) Who?

(2) Who?

(3) At your level maybe, but not at top level sport.

(4) They are never going to be great coaches.

(5) What a pathetic thing to say

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JF said:

No chance of an expanded league. Again Turkeys don’t vote for Christmas. If it’s ppg and I don’t think it will be as it’s looking like getting played out I can’t see any promotion or relegation irrelevant of what parry and f.a are saying 

I disagree. I think they will push for both. The EFL is pushing this in part (or possibly certain persons on the EFL and FA Boards) to try and ensure there is promotion from the championship to the prem. If you read the statement they put out today it says that clubs were talked through and approved a framework put forward by the EFL Board for ending the season which included PPG. There is a bit of confusion because they originally announced it would be weighted PPG but has now become unweighted PPG but it appears this was part of the "framework" proposed by the EFL Board. The no relegations bit wasn't but seems to have been an additional vote by the clubs.

2 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I disagree. I think they will push for both. The EFL is pushing this in part (or possibly certain persons on the EFL and FA Boards) to try and ensure there is promotion from the championship to the prem. If you read the statement they put out today it says that clubs were talked through and approved a framework put forward by the EFL Board for ending the season which included PPG. There is a bit of confusion because they originally announced it would be weighted PPG but has now become unweighted PPG but it appears this was part of the "framework" proposed by the EFL Board. The no relegations bit wasn't but seems to have been an additional vote by the clubs.

Let’s just say that if they do try to relegate on ppg I would rather it was weighted Ppg as that would drag West Ham into the argument instead of Bournemouth. And I’d rather have the weight of Villa and West Ham with us 

1 hour ago, JF said:

I understand the argument against an expanded Premier League, but sometimes problems are solved by adopting the path of least resistance (not to mention the path of the fewest legal challenges) and it could end up that way here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Indeed, if the R rate goes over 1 and we will know by next Friday, back to lockdown and another 2 weeks nearer the end of the greedy boys dream.

My you, according to the briefing tonight, R is not as important as it was before Wednesday.

as it's just a guess they can interpret it how they wish

it comes down to

L2 - play a game and it costs you money

PL don't play a game and it costs you money

and to be honest all the evidence now emerging is that the real danger is being in a confined space for a long time - Parliament

where being out in the open is relatively safe - football pitch

3 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I understand the argument against an expanded Premier League, but sometimes problems are solved by adopting the path of least resistance (not to mention the path of the fewest legal challenges) and it could end up that way here.

Absolutely Purple. It could be about the least number of losers, but there should be no 'winners' (as that would naturally create losers) and who could 'justifiably' and for the integrity of the game, lose out as things currently stand?

I feel the legal side of this may have the largest say, in the end. 

4 hours ago, T said:

Just telling people the truth and it does take courage to tell people things that they might not like to hear but are in the their own best interest. A load of platitudes don’t help improve you  I think you will find sports coaches are brutally honest with their players  it’s a tough environment  My coaches are only being brutally honest with me because they want me to improve and I have no problem because I want to improve  if you want to be told you are performing wonderfully when you are not it may be nice to hear but if that isn’t the reality that isn’t going to help you improve  I perhaps work in a more brutal environment and am used to it and I understand will not work for some people but the best are also brutally honest with themselves  

Someone needed to be honest with Boris about his speech on Sunday because that was abysmal  

The UK has performed poorly in this crisis and needs to learn from other countries and I understand that people don’t like to hear it but they need to hear it for their own good. 

So, if you don't mind me asking, what do you actually do for a living T ?

• Haha 1

I don't mind you asking and I hope you don't mind me not answering as I'm here in a private rather than professional capacity and that is a private business matter and against my employment rules to discuss my work at all. 

3 minutes ago, T said:

I don't mind you asking and I hope you don't mind me not answering as I'm here in a private rather than professional capacity and that is a private business matter and against my employment rules to discuss my work at all. 

You true grit..? 

• Haha 1

I think the key thing here is not the Premier League but The Championship.

We cant hand over our share and title to a team thats only played 37 games when we had to play 46.

There is absolutely no chance of promotion if the Championship does not finish. You have to earn the right to play in the land of milk and honey.

Both leagues finish then Promotion and Relegation.

Championship finish and Premier league doesnt then Promotion with no relegation

Championship doesnt finish and Premier does then no promotion and no relegation.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, C Goodenough said:

You true grit..? 

I thought (s)he said that (s)he works with 'risk'? James Bond (s)he ain't. Could be the German version of Aviva?

30 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Absolutely Purple. It could be about the least number of losers, but there should be no 'winners' (as that would naturally create losers) and who could 'justifiably' and for the integrity of the game, lose out as things currently stand?

I feel the legal side of this may have the largest say, in the end. 

I entirely  agree that the path of least resistance and the solution with the least aggrieved parties is promotion and no relegation at all levels and snd a temporarily expanded top division. However will self interest from the clubs allow that path to be taken?

Just now, Jim Smith said:

I entirely  agree that the path of least resistance and the solution with the least aggrieved parties is promotion and no relegation at all levels and snd a temporarily expanded top division. However will self interest from the clubs allow that path to be taken?

Of course it’s all irrelevant if the games are played. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HairyTeeth said:

I think the key thing here is not the Premier League but The Championship.

We cant hand over our share and title to a team thats only played 37 games when we had to play 46.

There is absolutely no chance of promotion if the Championship does not finish. You have to earn the right to play in the land of milk and honey.

Both leagues finish then Promotion and Relegation.

Championship finish and Premier league doesnt then Promotion with no relegation

Championship doesnt finish and Premier does then no promotion and no relegation.

I see it slightly differently. I think the EFL will demand promotion regardless of whether the champ finishes but we will only be able to prevent relegations if the prem doesn’t finish. 

1 hour ago, JF said:

Is breaking news at the moment that in the last week the R rate has risen again. They won’t be playing until we move to the next phase 

See the main CoronaVirus thread, but I don't think that is true. At least not for the general population. Now whether anyone trusts the Government anymore to communicate honestly is a different matter, but I read that the R rate had FALLEN for the general population while it had RISEN for care homes and hospitals, such that the overall R rate had increased slightly. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

I thought (s)he said that (s)he works with 'risk'? James Bond (s)he ain't. Could be the German version of Aviva?

Gotta to be insurance. Although big scale

48 minutes ago, T said:

Do you drive a fairly new Qashqai?

26 minutes ago, Surfer said:

See the main CoronaVirus thread, but I don't think that is true. At least not for the general population. Now whether anyone trusts the Government anymore to communicate honestly is a different matter, but I read that the R rate had FALLEN for the general population while it had RISEN for care homes and hospitals, such that the overall R rate had increased slightly. 

If it does keep reducing we go to level 3 I understand and then if it tips upwards at the end of May to 1 we go back to a level 4 with associated measures if I'm correct.

EFL have confirmed their “framework” for any curtailed season is PPG with full promotion and relegation. They are going to try and push this through aren’t they as their fallback for the champ and then abandon any attempt to play the games when the time is right.

2 hours ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

(1) Who?

(2) Who?

(3) At your level maybe, but not at top level sport.

(4) They are never going to be great coaches.

(5) What a pathetic thing to say

T. 

I know you'll see this. Come on answer these questions 1 and 2 + 4,5 & 6 give us a response please

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, C Goodenough said:

T. 

I know you'll see this. Come on answer these questions 1 and 2 + 4,5 & 6 give us a response please

I see what you did there 🙂 

1 hour ago, Bill said:

where being out in the open is relatively safe - football pitch

Sunbathing 2 meters apart? Yes

Playing football - likely not