Making Plans

Football in England: Government 'opens door for safe return in June'

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Has any EFL meeting ever reached a conclusion other than 'let's meet up in a week or two and discuss it again'?

Not yet! Can’t go on much longer like it

27 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Has any EFL meeting ever reached a conclusion other than 'let's meet up in a week or two and discuss it again'?

Hey WW ! “Let’s meet up again”gives me a brilliant idea for a song . If only I could think of a melody ?🤔

53 minutes ago, T said:

I know I am being brutal but my best coaches have been absolutely brutal with me. I can’t say I particularly liked at the time either but they are the ones who have taught me the most and who I go back to to and respect the most. 

Just an FYI, they may have been you're best coaches but being “absolutely brutal” is absolutely **** leadership and you shouldn’t respect it.

Football in England: Government 'opens door for safe return in June'......but unfortunately due to it being unsafe, having to then slam it tightly shut again in early July....

36 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Just an FYI, they may have been you're best coaches but being “absolutely brutal” is absolutely **** leadership and you shouldn’t respect it.

Just telling people the truth and it does take courage to tell people things that they might not like to hear but are in the their own best interest. A load of platitudes don’t help improve you  I think you will find sports coaches are brutally honest with their players  it’s a tough environment  My coaches are only being brutally honest with me because they want me to improve and I have no problem because I want to improve  if you want to be told you are performing wonderfully when you are not it may be nice to hear but if that isn’t the reality that isn’t going to help you improve  I perhaps work in a more brutal environment and am used to it and I understand will not work for some people but the best are also brutally honest with themselves  

Someone needed to be honest with Boris about his speech on Sunday because that was abysmal  

The UK has performed poorly in this crisis and needs to learn from other countries and I understand that people don’t like to hear it but they need to hear it for their own good. 

28 minutes ago, T said:

Just telling people the truth and it does take courage to tell people things that they might not like to hear but are in the their own best interest. A load of platitudes don’t help improve you  I think you will find sports coaches are brutally honest with their players  it’s a tough environment  My coaches are only being brutally honest with me because they want me to improve and I have no problem because I want to improve  if you want to be told you are performing wonderfully when you are not it may be nice to hear but if that isn’t the reality that isn’t going to help you improve  I perhaps work in a more brutal environment and am used to it and I understand will not work for some people but the best are also brutally honest with themselves  

Someone needed to be honest with Boris about his speech on Sunday because that was abysmal  

The UK has performed poorly in this crisis and needs to learn from other countries and I understand that people don’t like to hear it but they need to hear it for their own good. 

I've just got time for a 'FFS'. Back in a bit

It goes on to say and I quote

The table is set to be decided using a points-per-game method, but promotion and relegation are not finalised.

There are still plans for the play-offs to take place as usual, with two-legged semi-finals and then a final.

Edited by Making Plans

3 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

It goes on to say and I quote

The table is set to be decided using a points-per-game method, but promotion and relegation are not finalised.

There are still plans for the play-offs to take place as usual, with two-legged semi-finals and then a final.

The radio report I just heard said that 20 out of 24 clubs voted for no relegation.

You can't decide to use PPG and then park relegation/promotion until later surely?

• Thanks 1

Is this a tactic to try and establish a precedent by getting something agreed in the division with least controversy? Then claim PPG has been established in principle. Surely its a nonsense to have different discussions for each division?

1 minute ago, Jim Smith said:

The radio report I just heard said that 20 out of 24 clubs voted for no relegation.

You can't decide to use PPG and then park relegation/promotion until later surely?

You either play out or you void it. These half and half ideas are not self consistant and leagues cannot have promotion and no relegation without affecting the leagues above and below.

Now being reported that the proposal is no relegation. Reports seem to be a bit inconsistent. If that is the case then either the FA won't ratify it or if they do then in my view we are moving to the "leaked" fall back that was doing the rounds a couple of weeks ago. 

4 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Now being reported that the proposal is no relegation. Reports seem to be a bit inconsistent. If that is the case then either the FA won't ratify it or if they do then in my view we are moving to the "leaked" fall back that was doing the rounds a couple of weeks ago. 

D2E48524-28B0-48E7-8C8C-ADF1E6947599.png

The difference here is that almost all of the games would cost the clubs more to stage than they would earn

In the PL it is quite the opposite

So it would be seen by the majority of L1 to simply start again next season

Whereas I think the financial disparity between L1 and the Championship is far greater - a loss of around £7m in tv money alone, so there will not be the same impetus there to simply write off the season.

Mind you there are only 2 relegated from League 2 and Bury have gone bust anyway. So its only actually 1 team less. EFL may just say they will only promote one from the National League and then say relegation from league 1 will apply as normal.

Just now, Bill said:

The difference here is that almost all of the games would cost the clubs more to stage than they would earn

In the PL it is quite the opposite

So it would be seen by the majority of L1 to simply start again next season

Whereas I think the financial disparity between L1 and the Championship is far greater - a loss of around £7m in tv money alone, so there will not be the same impetus there to simply write off the season.

I get that. I don't think the premier league will be written off but its more interesting in terms of what the "fallback" ends up being for the top two divisions if they can't complete and the precedents that are being (or may be) set.

3 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I get that. I don't think the premier league will be written off but its more interesting in terms of what the "fallback" ends up being for the top two divisions if they can't complete and the precedents that are being (or may be) set.

I doubt whatever happens would be used as a precedent - just as suspending football because of both world wars was not.The PL looks certain to go ahead, There is too much money involved not to, and enough money to allow it to.

Whereas neither of those really apply with the Championship - except the huge amounts due to the three who are promoted. That is the division where the real problems lie. As with the Admiral who bemoaned light cruisers as having neither the fire power to damage or the speed to runaway.

However, something I did raise a few times is that this will be a different country (virus wise) in mid June. So I expect while preparations are in hand it is a case with the Chs of let's wait and see.

No one is taking into account that the welsh government may not allow Cardiff and Swansea to play their home matches as yet

1 hour ago, Van wink said:

D2E48524-28B0-48E7-8C8C-ADF1E6947599.png

Haven't been folloing this today. So League Two has decide to promote teams to League One without knowing if League One plans to relegate teams to League Two and to allow up those teams from League Two?

20 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Haven't been folloing this today. So League Two has decide to promote teams to League One without knowing if League One plans to relegate teams to League Two and to allow up those teams from League Two?

So if all tiers above them and the one below do this, we'll have 23 teams in the Premier League, 24 in the Championship, 24 in League One and 22 in League Two...

If the Premier League opts against the bloated division, which I'm sure it will, will we have a 27-team Championship? 52 games in a season which may already start late?

• Like 1

So although it’s looking like no relegation anyway, league 2 used the weighted points per game formula, which if used in the PL would see Bournemouth escape the bottom 3 and be replaced by West Ham. I can’t see West Ham taking a relegation under those terms lightly! 

‘Overwhelming view of League 2 clubs is that no team should be relegated into the National League from a season that does not finish’

Wonder how many PL clubs will feel the same? 

2 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

‘Overwhelming view of League 2 clubs is that no team should be relegated into the National League from a season that does not finish’

Obviously the Premier League and the EFL are separate organisations, but considering that the FA is a stakeholder in both and is supposed to ensure equality at all levels, could there be some sort of legal precedent here?

7 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

Most of them. Many teams will take into account that although they are safe this season it doesn’t mean they will be in future seasons if this were to happen. Any vote that sees teams relegated this way now sets a precedent on the future if this or something else were to jeopardise a season again. Basically Turkeys don’t vote for Christmas 

Edited by JF

2 hours ago, T said:

There’s a difference between telling people things they might not want to hear and being “absolutely brutal”. If you can’t do the first without doing the second you are a garbage leader and communicator. Just telling you what you need to hear for your own good. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JF said:

Most of them. Many teams will take into account that although they are safe this season it doesn’t mean they will be in future seasons if this were to happen. Any vote that sees teams relegated this way now sets a precedent on the future if this or something else were to jeopardise a season again. Basically Turkeys don’t vote for Christmas 

If that’s the case there’s little point in resuming the season as most games will be worthless barring fights for European places.

And don’t forget, we must resume the season for the ‘integrity of the game’ and to help ‘boost morale’