CANARYKING

All quiet on vaccine

On 14/05/2020 at 13:06, CANARYKING said:

Anybody know where we are with this, not read anything lately. No vaccine, no crowds.

It’s a bit like Lambert this virus...it continues to mutate and is impossible to get rid of 

On 09/11/2020 at 18:45, Rock The Boat said:

Yes, Big pharma has kept the panic going in order to cash in. With the potential of vaccinating every living person the profits will be enormous

And that's not all.  This isn't a once and for all solution, because the virus will keep mutating.  Vaccinating every living person EVERY YEAR is what they're looking at.

Personally I'm all in favour of one-off vaccination against non-mutating viruses, because it has the potential to eradicate some very serious diseases.  The risks are clearly outweighed by the benefits.  But where eradication isn't an option, questions need to be asked about routinely submitting our immune systems to annual vaccinations for diseases which aren't life-threatening to the vast majority.  Immune system disorders have increased greatly in recent decades, of that there is no doubt.  Vaccination may or may not be a contributory factor, but no one seems willing to ask the question and anyone who does is labelled anti-vax and treated as a pariah.

Edited by benchwarmer

11 minutes ago, benchwarmer said:

And that's not all.  This isn't a once and for all solution, because the virus will keep mutating.  Vaccinating every living person EVERY YEAR is what they're looking at.

Personally I'm all in favour of one-off vaccination against non-mutating viruses, because it has the potential to eradicate some very serious diseases.  But where eradication isn't an option, questions need to be asked about submitting our immune systems to annual vaccinations for diseases which aren't life-threatening to the vast majority.  Immune system disorders have increased hugely in recent decades, of that there is no doubt.  Vaccination may or may not be a contributory factor, but no one seems willing to ask the question, and anyone who does is labelled anti-vax and treated as a pariah.

Bit early doors to be comparing the need to eradicate this global pandemic to a pointless annual vaccination programme. Especially when the medical research into said virus is ongoing.

28 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

Bit early doors to be comparing the need to eradicate this global pandemic to a pointless annual vaccination programme. Especially when the medical research into said virus is ongoing.

By its very nature, covid is not eradicable by vaccination. The family of coronoviruses (which include some strains of the common cold) constantly mutate, in a similar way to flu viruses.  That much is known by medical science.  Thankfully, covid is a disease with a very low mortality rate, especially where risk factors such as age are not present.  But we are being led by the nose to make the assumption that a vaccine will make it go away.  It won't.  Covid is here to stay.  

Edited by benchwarmer

No virus has ever been eradicated by vaccination***, but they can be controlled to a certain extent.

They also mutate. This often results in a weakening of effect. A self-destruct.

Many factors are involved with the human being's ability to cope with viruses and herd immunity should never be underestimated, in the long run at least.

Why, for example, do we see obvious peaks in infection rates before it falls away? Why, for example, is it now more virulent in areas which have in the past escaped the worst effects?

Vaccination enhances herd immunity. 

Of course Covid is here to stay but the history of these 'plagues' suggests that it's detrimental effects upon the way we live will be reduced to a degree of insignificance that should be manageable.

***Edit: Correction. Smallpox apparently has been eradicated and polio virtually. Perhaps Covid 19 is not here to stay after all.

Edited by BroadstairsR

I think I prefer to listen to the people who have actually spent their lives researching viruses than some opinions on a football messageboard.

• Like 3

60 000 dead so far (and the rest) does not make it a mild disease. This is a death toll minimised by lockdown. If people are still obsessed with pseudoscience and anti vax paranoia after a global emergency of this nature, there is no persuading you. Just don't get in my way when I go for my jab.

• Like 1