Sign in to follow this  
Harry53

How do we escape relegation?

Should be concerned with avoiding relegation from the Championship this time next year. 

We ain't going to be buying any defenders now and we're not going to walk the League outscoring everyone again next season. 

• Haha 1

While I'm loving the general optimism, I personally can't see us staying up, restart or not.

The team will set up as it has all season (apart from Klose being back).

As long as it's safe for us to play, it will just be nice to see something familiar during these difficult times. Not that bothered about relegation anymore.

P.S. He won't play Godfrey in midfield. EVER.

OTBC

• Like 1

It’s pretty simple, we need to play better football than we have averaged so far this season. Yes we’ve been a tad unlucky, but unfortunately the table doesn’t lie and we just haven’t been good enough/mentally strong enough to win enough games.

I actually think the neutral venues and lack of crowd may suit us, who knows for sure.

However I have to agree with Webber, even if we play the rest of our matches and end up remaining rock bottom, no way a championship team should replace us without completing their games. They haven’t earned the right and should stay exactly where they are. Maybe that ends up being how we avoid it.

Edited by Monty13

If there is a re-start, Daniel must stick to his beliefs. That's the best bit of advice that anyone can give him (not that he needs it).

The reason is that if we go down playing his way, then so be it. But if we went down playing a different style he would forever wonder what would have happened if he had stuck to his guns. The same applies to any manager. 

Success actors:

Teemu finding his touch again

Emi starting off well - he had a shocking spell last autumn and had to be dropped. We just can't afford for that to happen again

I understand that Timm does not believe that he is up to the pace of the Premier League, and therefore I don't think he is in the reckoning, sadly.

The young guns - Todd, Max, Ben, Jamal and maybe Adam Idah could really come back flying having now got three quarters of a Prem season under their belts (except Idah).

It still feels to me that we are one top player short in the key sitting midfielder role. That's for Daniel to sort out in the five or six weeks between now and the resumption. The more I think about it, Ben could be the answer.

1 hour ago, Number9 said:

Should be concerned with avoiding relegation from the Championship this time next year. 

We ain't going to be buying any defenders now and we're not going to walk the League outscoring everyone again next season. 

Yeah but none of the Championship clubs are going to buy any new players either, so your presumption is just that..... 

Even if we lost ALL of our young talent, plus Pukki, and we bought NOBODY we could still field - 

Krul 

Byram    Zimmerman  Klose    Stieperman

Tettey    Trybull

McLean Vrancic Hernandez

Idah

That is not a team that will be relegated even in a normal strength of opposition year, strip out all the loan players from the other teams and it could win it all again. 

Edited by Surfer

39 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Yeah but none of the Championship clubs are going to buy any new players either, so your presumption is just that..... 

Even if we lost ALL of our young talent, plus Pukki, and we bought NOBODY we could still field - 

Krul 

Byram    Zimmerman  Klose    Stieperman

Tettey    Trybull

McLean Vrancic Hernandez

Idah

That is not a team that will be relegated even in a normal strength of opposition year, strip out all the loan players from the other teams and it could win it all again. 

We'd have McCallum for left back, so Stiepermann wouldn't need to be shoehorned in.

3 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

We'd have McCallum for left back, so Stiepermann wouldn't need to be shoehorned in.

Yes good point - and then we also have Sinani available as another option up front. 

Take Leeds, WBA and Fulham out, can you see any of the other teams matching up? Just Villa and West Han to worry about, one of those two bound to be in financial or management crisis. 

I'd rather go down playing what I consider to be 'proper' football, trying to play it the right way than resort to a different philosophy and grind out results. I watch football to be entertained and last season was - without any comparison - the most entertained I have ever been. Admittedly, winning helps that but I want Farke to stick to this philosophy until the end (not just the end of this season!). Win, lose or draw, I'm with you.

(I know most people will disagree).

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

I'd rather go down playing what I consider to be 'proper' football, trying to play it the right way than resort to a different philosophy and grind out results. I watch football to be entertained and last season was - without any comparison - the most entertained I have ever been. Admittedly, winning helps that but I want Farke to stick to this philosophy until the end (not just the end of this season!). Win, lose or draw, I'm with you.

(I know most people will disagree).

Last season was very entertaining and I'd like to see us carry on playing in that style as well. The season before that had glimpses of what was to come and we have on one or two occasions shown it this season.

However, we were hampered by injuries and lack of decent quality defensive signings this season. I'm not convinced we will be the same team back in the championship if relegated and we lose a few players.

22 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

11 man line across midfield and all players instructed to cough and walk forwards slowly...

This manoeuvre shall henceforth be known as the 'Farke Cough'.  

• Haha 1

Save that last one up for the Old Farm derby KG. Good news is we have plenty of time to build it.

On 15 May 2020 at 04:03, essex canary said:

Play Mario Vrancic. Bar Martin Peters the best special awareness player to have worn a  Norwich shirt.

Not sure about that....... The Doc was always at least 2 metres away from the player he was supposed to be marking.

I wish people would stop with the 'Ben in midfield' line. It ain't gonna happen. 

I know how to save  us from relegation==       Three goal keepers,  six full backs.  one in the middle, and one at front and hope we can get a long range shot to save the day.🤣

1 hour ago, yellowrider120 said:

Agreed but that's only because Farke is too stubborn to even give it a go. We don't have a player like Ben in midfield who has pace, power and can score goals. You would think Farke would have just tried it by now, just to see. You know the famous saying.............'if you always do what you've always done you'll always get what you've always got'. Farke has refused so we'll never know. That's why he's not this 'fantastic manager' that the masses insist he is. Too inflexible I'm afraid.   

Whilst Godfrey clearly does have the abilities to play in midfield, I highly doubt that if he gets a move to a bigger club this summer he'd be used anywhere other than centre-back.

6 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

'if you always do what you've always done you'll always get what you've always got'. 

Not disagreeing with your post, but rather this saying - but isn't always doing what you've always done otherwise called practicing and doesn't another saying suggest practice makes perfect?

Looks more and more as though Project Re-start is going to happen. I quite fancy us to go on a bit of a run,. Making a good start will be key both in terms of building momentum but also in case they start and it then gets curtailed again it would be good to have either got ourselves out of the bottom three or back in the pack again for the sake of any disputes there might be over relegation.

Small amount of nervousness on my part about how many injuries we picked up in the pre-season and at the start of the season. I hope they have learnt from that and don't flog the players too hard in whatever mini "pre-season" there may be. 

11 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I quite fancy us to go on a bit of a run,. Making a good start will be key both in terms of building momentum but also in case they start and it then gets curtailed again it would be good to have either got ourselves out of the bottom three or back in the pack again for the sake of any disputes there might be over relegation.

Well we’ve not had a ‘ bit of a run ‘ all season but it looks as though it’ll have to last for all nine games as we need two points a game to get to 39. Probably stay up on less than that but it’d be tight.

A very tough call.

Will the fa cup be abandoned, can’t recall hearing anything regarding resuming it?

On 17/05/2020 at 07:22, splendidrush said:

Not sure about that....... The Doc was always at least 2 metres away from the player he was supposed to be marking.

I wish people would stop with the 'Ben in midfield' line. It ain't gonna happen. 

Read the question again..... How do we escape relegation?      It asks for thoughts.     One of those argued by many (even more the option now we have Zimmermann, Hanley and potentially Klose available) would be to put Godfrey in midfield.     Consequently, that's what the view is on this thread.    Whether it happens or not is immaterial to the thread!     

It's still our best hope of gaining dominance of the central area that we need to win these games.   Tettey for all his effort won't provide it.    Godfrey was quite obviously going to be suggested on such a thread.     

Add to change, Pukki and Buendia finding top form and we have a chance.     So how would you go about the great escape?