Sign in to follow this  
Icecream Snow

Sebastian Soto

4 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Was it Shapps or Michael Green?

At the time he was in MP guise.

2 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

Our current negotiations with the US are being done by City supporter Liz Truss, she'll make a work permit for Soto a red line in the Trade Agreement. 🙂

2 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Oh please tell me that is not true!☹️

That has ruined my afternoon.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/mar/04/liz-truss-politician-tory tells you all you ned to know.

4 hours ago, Michael Bates said:

You're getting mixed up with different American talent in the German leagues-

Norwich City are keeping tabs on Bayern Munich’s Taylor Booth and his younger brother Zach Booth.

Yes I am - sorry!! 🙂

1 hour ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

I meant gaps in our knowledge but come to think of it he might fancy a short stint in the lower Leagues 😀

Yeh I know, I was musing that T would consider anything in Germany to be too good for us 😀

2 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

There are worse Tories it could have been - Rees-Mogg, Priti Patel, Steve Baker, BoJo, Raab, Gove, Mark Francois, Ian Duncan Smith, Chris Grayling, Andrea Leadsom...

Actually i am almost starting to warm to the idea of Truss!

And how could I forget the truly abominable Nadine Dorries...

Don't use your car if you can use public transport we were told.

Now, use your car do not use public transport.

And now when we haven't got any money, at last they are going to fill in the potholes

Seems to be the forgotten man

Could it be then that the club are looking to make bigger changes to the squad than first thought

Rake in £100m or so and start again with the new young signings

Would actually welcome it, to be honest

Edited by Bill

4 minutes ago, Bill said:

Seems to be the forgotten man

Could it be then that the club are looking to make bigger changes to the squad than first thought

Rake in £100m or so and start again with the new young signings

Would actually welcome it, to be honest

This does seem the obvious plan to me, Bill, and that’s perhaps why although not wanting to see us get relegated of course, I’m still at ease with the bigger picture. If ever this was the time that we’d go down and do a Newcastle/West Ham etc by coming back up at the first attempt then I think this would be it. And I feel confident. If the paintwork was rotting off the goalposts at Colney and the foundation of the club was in a real bad place then I’d be really concerned. But it seems to me that we’ll box clever, and fingers crossed, go up in an even healthier position in 10 months time. And yes, as part of the plan, I would expect to see a few more quid spent if we get promoted but just as permanents are a gamble I would also expect us to gamble on some loans too.

20 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

This does seem the obvious plan to me, Bill, and that’s perhaps why although not wanting to see us get relegated of course, I’m still at ease with the bigger picture. If ever this was the time that we’d go down and do a Newcastle/West Ham etc by coming back up at the first attempt then I think this would be it. And I feel confident. If the paintwork was rotting off the goalposts at Colney and the foundation of the club was in a real bad place then I’d be really concerned. But it seems to me that we’ll box clever, and fingers crossed, go up in an even healthier position in 10 months time. And yes, as part of the plan, I would expect to see a few more quid spent if we get promoted but just as permanents are a gamble I would also expect us to gamble on some loans too.

I'm also at ease with the bigger picture and I actually much prefer the investment in long term youth prospects than a couple of signings that would slightly improve our starting team but still not enough to keep us up (eg Robbie Brady). However, The Championship is a hard league to get out of (Admittedly, Ipswich found it easy last season) and even if we kept all our squad that we want to, it would still be very tough.

The concern though is that once the wage bill has been met there is not a lot left.

Why so many collapse when relegated is that their spending is on the 'never never' ie payment is spread over a few seasons and so is reliant upon continuous PL money to meet those payments

Get relegated and you are left with a huge payment debt that you can only hope to reduce by selling players

At the end of season 2019 Bournemouth had outstanding payments of £79m. How on earth could they meet those payments in the Championship - more so when they would face a £60m cut in TV money.

This is never discussed or even understood I would venture to say. Instead we get 'la la land' type whines about lack of 'hambition' , not spending etc

The blunt truth is a club like City cannot really afford the PL....... just as a dozen or more in the Championship, and lower, can testify to

That doesn't mean sitting on our backsides in the Championship - but it does mean for us to remain as a thriving club we cannot gamble with the club's future by running up debts that we cannot pay.......

ask the binners, if need proof of that.

Edited by Bill

7 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

I'm also at ease with the bigger picture and I actually much prefer the investment in long term youth prospects than a couple of signings that would slightly improve our starting team but still not enough to keep us up (eg Robbie Brady). However, The Championship is a hard league to get out of (Admittedly, Ipswich found it easy last season) and even if we kept all our squad that we want to, it would still be very tough.

Oh don’t get me wrong ATG, it’s no push over or formality. But already I suspect we’re going to be in a better place than say Villa or Bournemouth. Villa for starters gambled the 3 years worth of promotion money this season before they even received it so I do think they won’t be in great shape next season, but who knows.

There is no little matter of those who want to see 'good' football

Our season before was excellent, not only in that it was a thrilling season, we won the title and still played enjoyable football.

It was also a delight to see our own youth players developing, cast offs like Krul and Pukki re-emerge and other 'cheapies' thrive.

I accept there's no guarantee that will follow next season - but I am certain we have the makings of that happening

And it is a case of believing that we can finish top rather than hoping we can finish above 18th in the PL

ps maybe with the virus still being with us we could exclude all the over 68s and have enough space to fit in all those from the Main Stand, sell Cantwell and build the new stand with no debt ......in time for us to start the 21/22 season in the PL 🥳

32 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Oh don’t get me wrong ATG, it’s no push over or formality. But already I suspect we’re going to be in a better place than say Villa or Bournemouth. Villa for starters gambled the 3 years worth of promotion money this season before they even received it so I do think they won’t be in great shape next season, but who knows.

The incoming Villa CEO gave an interview in which he outWebbered Webber, which is some feat, in saying what a financial mess he'd inherited and what hard work it woiuld be to get stable. From a distance their summer spending didn't seem quite to chime with that...

5 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

The incoming Villa CEO gave an interview in which he outWebbered Webber, which is some feat, in saying what a financial mess he'd inherited and what hard work it woiuld be to get stable. From a distance their summer spending didn't seem quite to chime with that...

‘OutWebbered Webber’ 😂😂😂

5 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Some research on their message boards suggests that they are expecting Jack to be sold for about £80m if they are relegated, and to have £100m with which to buy players and return to the Prem stronger than before.

Sounds vaguely familiar.

5 minutes ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

Some research on their message boards suggests that they are expecting Jack to be sold for about £80m if they are relegated, and to have £100m with which to buy players and return to the Prem stronger than before.

Sounds vaguely familiar.

That's the magic of relegation - all the money still owed on transfer fees is simply wiped away

and if you club name starts with an A, you don't have any large player contracts to meet

and as an added bonus there is not a £60m cut in you TV money either

Unsure about Soto but we've been following 20 year old striker Ole Romney from Dutch side Nijmegen. 9 goals in 30 last season.