Sign in to follow this  
Fiery Zac

Webber

8 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Its "fairer" because less teams get "punished" for the fact there has been a global pandemic which has prevented the completion of the season. Fans who have done well get rewarded, clubs who could still have stayed up are not arbitrarily relegated. It would minimise the number of aggrieved parties and probably the scope for legal disputes, albeit it will not remove them entirely as it remains a fudge and imperfect (particularly when you look at the league 1 promotion picture).

In truth the only 2 completely "fair" outcomes are finish the games or void the season entirely. Anything else will be a compromise/fudge.

Thanks for the reply Jim; I hope all is well with you and yours.

I see your point Jim, but I can't agree.

The moment you treat some of the league differently to the rest you are wading in the brown stuff. Whatever you do, whichever option is taken, it must be consistent throughout the league. I agree though that they are are all fudges of a lesser/greater degree. I think in the end they'll play simply because of 💰💰💰💰💰.

I have to admit though, the longer this goes on, the less I'm bothered about us being relegated. It all seems so unimportant now. May be that's a good thing - probably for my blood pressure anyway. My only lingering concern for relegation is not so much on the footballing side of things, but it's for the low paid staff who will no doubt lose their jobs if that happens.

OTBC

If the PL season is not completed in the same way it started then it needs to be voided. Those are the only two fair options. Anything else is a fudge and NOT sport.

Sky can forget about receiving any money from me in the future if it becomes a fabrication to suit the big clubs.

3 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

The moment you treat some of the league differently to the rest you are wading in the brown stuff. Whatever you do, whichever option is taken, it must be consistent throughout the league. I agree though that they are are all fudges of a lesser/greater degree. I think in the end they'll play simply because of 💰💰💰💰💰.

I have to admit though, the longer this goes on, the less I'm bothered about us being relegated. It all seems so unimportant now. May be that's a good thing - probably for my blood pressure anyway. My only lingering concern for relegation is not so much on the footballing side of things, but it's for the low paid staff who will no doubt lose their jobs if that happens.

OTBC

I am well thanks - hope you are too.

I agree that any contrived solution is messy. I just happen to think if you take relegation out of the equation at all levels then it does minimise the aggrieved parties so I would see it as the path of least resistance if a compromise is to be adopted but we will all have different views on it and I obviously have to admit we are all guided (whether consciously or sub-consciously) by our own self interest and obviously such a solution would benefit us.

I agree that as time passes and we experience this football seems less important. Ultimately we will come back once its safe regardless of what league we are in. I am sure Norwich will survive as we are better placed by many. That said I would still want the club to fight as hard as it possibly can against any unfair outcome. 

7 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

OTBC

PS forgive me but I can't place the user name. I assume we know each other?

42 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

I've seen this stated more than a few times on here over the last few weeks - allow promotion but no relegation. How on earth is that fairer or better than the other options? That would seem to be the most unfair option of all - treat some of the league like nothing has changed whilst at the same time ignoring a chunk.

I think we need to take the green and yellow glasses off...we are bottom for a reason. You can't just wish that away.

Play the games if possible (personally not bothered if they do), if not then it's going to have to be PPG or something similar to decide where we finish. They aren't going to void it.

One way or the other, get the season done so we can move forward ffs. If that means we are down, we are down. It's only football after all. Not life and death.

OTBC

Jim has made every point I would have made.

7 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

PS forgive me but I can't place the user name. I assume we know each other?

No - I'm just being friendly! Strange as that can seem on here at times.... 😁

OTBC

1 minute ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

OTBC

Rofl. The equivalent of speaking to someone on the tube!

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

OTBC

Politest poster of the month. We all could do with more of the like of you Disco.

• Thanks 1

He is spot on about the Championship having to finish for promotion to happen. 

I've seen so much on social media saying "promote Leeds and West Brom" as if they are as far clear at the top as Liverpool are. They are 7/6 points clear with 9 games left to play and both still have to play 3rd place Fulham. It is nowhere near decided! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Politest poster of the month. We all could do with more of the like of you Disco.

Oh bless you Sonyc! Top man/dog! 👍

I always try to be polite but I guess I've been trying a little harder these last few weeks... I've even managed not to bite at some of Bill's more crazy posts. There are always going to be disagreements on a forum but I'm trying to be more measured in my responses.

Hope all is well with you and your family during this difficult time.

OTBC

Edited by Disco Dales Jockstrap
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just seen the interview. It's going to upset Leeds fans. But he's right. It should either be finished on the pitch or not at all. 

Not at all gets my vote. It should have ended by now anyway. If its the football pyramid it should be one rule for everyone. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

OTBC

This may not be final but supposedly the EFL plan for Leagues One and Two is that they will not be restarted and there will be promotion but not relegation. So if the EPL and the Championship don't finish then the EFL would be demanding something from the EPL, ie relegation, they are not willing to impose in their own leagues.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Rofl. The equivalent of speaking to someone on the tube!

Haha!

I've never gone quite that far...yet...

....but who knows what might happen when I next get on public transport!

OTBC

2 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

Oh bless you Sonyc! Top man/dog! 👍

I always try to be polite but I guess I've been trying a little harder these last few weeks... I've even managed not to bite at some of Bill's more crazy posts. There are always going to be disagreements on a forum but I'm trying to be more measured in my responses.

Hope all is well with you and your family during this difficult time.

OTBC

Thank you Disco. All fine here.

Seriously,  just being considerate and friendly adds to the quality of the forum. It saves us from being like other well known football forums (fora?). 👍

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

This may not be final but supposedly the EFL plan for Leagues One and Two is that they will not be restarted and there will be promotion but not relegation. So if the EPL and the Championship don't finish then the EFL would be demanding something from the EPL, ie relegation, they are not willing to impose in their own leagues.

Is that correct Purple? Promotion but no relegation? Not read that.

13 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Is that correct Purple? Promotion but no relegation? Not read that.

I haven't read it in the media either but one poster (I forget which) has said more than once it is in the EFL plan. Apart from anything else, if you relegate from League Two you are relegating out of the league pyramid, which is a bigger step than simply relegating to a lower tier of the pyramid, so it may well be true.

22 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

It's all very confusing; you'd think after all these weeks/months they would have come to some kind of conclusion (or at least have some kind of plan) by now. 

OTBC

27 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

If that is the case Purple would you not end up with 27 teams in the championship if they relegate 3 from the premier league? Or have I missed something there. Also as you allude to if the FA sanctions that then they can hardly block the same applying at the higher level if the season can't be finished. 

8 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I haven't read it in the media either but one poster (I forget which) has said more than once it is in the EFL plan. Apart from anything else, if you relegate from League Two you are relegating out of the league pyramid, which is a bigger step than simply relegating to a lower tier of the pyramid, so it may well be true.

It was the leaked telephone call from the Bristol Rovers captain briefing his team mates that said this was the fall back plan in the football league.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

If that is the case Purple would you not end up with 27 teams in the championship if they relegate 3 from the premier league? Or have I missed something there. Also as you allude to if the FA sanctions that then they can hardly block the same applying at the higher level if the season can't be finished. 

Yes, it would, unless what is meant is that there would be relegation from the Championship but not from L1 and L2. Either way the EFL would be demanding from the EPL something they would not be asking  for in at least two of their divisions.

I’ve thought and said for a while that I can’t see it being fair to promote or relegate sides unless both leagues are completed...you have to be consistent and fair to all involved.  You can’t finish the PL and then have sides relegated to/promoted from an incomplete Championship - there’s no ‘sporting integrity’ in that.  Clearly the ideal situation is that it is all completed on the pitch - the only fair way to do it.

IMO it is good to see that it seems to be the stance of NCFC.

53 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Ultimately it could all fall back on the ‘promote the top 2’ from the Championship, that was mooted way back at the start (by Brighton).  I’m sure they could manage a on-off 42 game season - possibly by binning the League Cup

It is clear that all three EFL leagues will not be completed. Even they cannot be so immoral as to scrap L1/L2 and try and finish the Championship.

So why are the EPL bothered about relegating anyone? They only have to sort out the Title and CL places.

10 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

It is clear that all three EFL leagues will not be completed. Even they cannot be so immoral as to scrap L1/L2 and try and finish the Championship.

So why are the EPL bothered about relegating anyone? They only have to sort out the Title and CL places.

Wonder what would happen if current EPL shareholders simply refuse to transfer their shareholding to the promoted teams in the event that the EFL season is not fully completed?

Could they be compelled to (other than through the courts as a result of legal action?)

Edited by Ian

4 minutes ago, Ian said:

Wonder what would happen if current EPL shareholders simply refuse to transfer their shareholding to the promoted teams in the event that the EFL season is not fully completed?

Could they be compelled to (other than through the courts as a result of legal action?)

How do they that?

3 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

How do they that?

image.thumb.png.a4eb1340ca7bcdb6f6ed34b3949d4b14.png

Presumably there is something in the rule-book to cover this case, but interested to know what the theoretical process would be if a relegated team refuses to transfer their shares.

19 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

You are quite right about the Championship but no one is going to watch 90 matches behind closed doors to see the Champions League places decided. Probably only one place at that. 80% of the games would be meaningless and Sky wouldn't pay for them. 

22 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I think there is an argument from TV companies that no relegation will mean that if games get played as discussed, most will be meaningless.