Sign in to follow this  
City 2nd

Greed personified

The greed and randsom power of the EPL is personified today:

"Premier League clubs have been told they could have to repay an estimated £340m to domestic and international broadcasters - even if the season resumes behind closed doors"

What a disgusting attempt by the tv package companies in their quest to get their own way as clubs vote not to use neutral grounds to complete the season.

As an avid ncfc fan it hurts to say that anyone who puts greed before personal safety for profit, belongs where it now appears to be headed, in the gutter.

It's going to kill off many clubs, likely to include our very own.

Greed within the game has grown and grown since Sky etc decided to get involved. The rich clubs get richer and sold the rest. Morals fly out of the window. Newcastles upcoming takeover for instance. Doesnt matter that the Saudi prince is thought to be involved in a murder. He will bring £300 m to the table so he'll do for us. This is all going to end messy. Why don't the EPL, EFL etc just do the same as lowere leagues , cancel the lot and start again. I know of Sunday league footballers who are gutted they cant play every week. Are they not as important? Obviously not because one man and his dog watching a game on a Sunday morning for pleasure is not as important as Sky etc and their money. Football is all about the fans. Without them, be it at Carrow Road or a local park on a Sunday it is pointless. Doesnt matter if its Norwich, Liverpool, Kings Lynn, Wroxham or Raggy axxe Rovers. If the FA are for all then all should be treat the same

• Like 1

To be fair to the TV companies, what is the difference between the TV companies asking for a rebate for not receiving a product and fans asking for a rebate on tickets and packages that they will not receive?

Are fans being greedy?

The TV companies need to be brought to the table and told in no uncertain terms that if they don't come to a sensible arrangement to spread any monies owed over future seasons then they won't be getting the rights in the future. I'm sure Amazon or Al Jazeera or the likes will be more than happy to step into the void. Or alternatively as Simon Jordan keeps saying the premier league should set up its own tv streaming station and not rely on outside broadcasters.

Sky TV as a company would lose the majority of its customers if it does not have premier league football. they should not be calling the shots.

• Like 3

This is the result of what football has become over the last 28 years. The virus has just changed people's focus.

The big stake holders in football are no longer motivated by the game. Neither are many of the fans if the threads on here are representative. It's all about money. Or for the fans other people's money.

I don't see how anyone can expect this to end well. You can't plant weeds year after year and expect flowers to suddenly appear.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

This is the result of what football has become over the last 28 years. The virus has just changed people's focus.

The big stake holders in football are no longer motivated by the game. Neither are many of the fans if the threads on here are representative. It's all about money. Or for the fans other people's money.

I don't see how anyone can expect this to end well. You can't plant weeds year after year and expect flowers to suddenly appear.

My problem is that I plant flowers year after year and weeds suddenly appear.

Constant battle winky. Maybe, like many others have done, you should give up and let the weeds take over. 

Edited by nutty nigel

15 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

And what about poor old Seaweed? The Welsh have it for breakfast!

Shredded Weed ?

(and variations thereof)

2 hours ago, Van wink said:

My problem is that I plant flowers year after year and weeds suddenly appear.

🎶 Why do weeds suddenly appear

Every time Bill is near🎶

36 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

🎶 Why do weeds suddenly appear

Every time Bill is near🎶

Hogweed

42 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

🎶 Why do lies suddenly appear

Every time Bill is near🎶

Fixed it for you sam.

9 hours ago, City 2nd said:

The greed and randsom power of the EPL is personified today:

"Premier League clubs have been told they could have to repay an estimated £340m to domestic and international broadcasters - even if the season resumes behind closed doors"

What a disgusting attempt by the tv package companies in their quest to get their own way as clubs vote not to use neutral grounds to complete the season.

As an avid ncfc fan it hurts to say that anyone who puts greed before personal safety for profit, belongs where it now appears to be headed, in the gutter.

It's going to kill off many clubs, likely to include our very own.

Have you considered perhaps that a large part of the revenue TV companies make isn't from the subscriptions but from adverts, and a hell of a lot of companies aren't advertising right now and wouldn't for what would essentially be a pre-season friendly? 

Can these broadcasters afford to swallow this loss? They aren't all huge companies like Sky. Gambling etc may be one of the only areas they can still make money flogging ads, and no PROPER sport means no gambling ads. 

Of course one solution is to agree new long term deals with these broadcasters with a partial refund and the rest of the amount owed applied as a 'credit' against future payments. A compromise is needed which minimises the impact on both industries. 

Can look at this quite simply really, a television network is a business and a football club is a business. Both employ people, people who don't want to become unemployed. 

I don't think that makes TV companies any more greedy than football clubs. Football has more greedy people than most industries. 

I have said before though that people keep talking about Sky, forgetting that there are dozens or hundreds of other broadcasting deals with other businesses around the world. Agreeing deals with them all is going to be complicated. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

On what do you base the idea that football has more greedy people than other industries?

Edited by nutty nigel

22 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

On what do you base the idea that football has more greedy people than other industries?

Let me try and answer that for TvB Nuttyo, footy is an anomaly among  ' normal businesses' in that, at top levels,at least, finances, budgets etc are pretty much in the public domain. Therefore, if the size of the pie is known then all that are due a slice, go for as big a piece as possible..... but I think you were being a little cute when you asked the question. I suppose whether its greeedier than others, debatable maybe but you and I both know, as your posting indicates, the money game in footy is well out of control.

TvB will give you a better response from his POV,  I'll leave it to you two to split hairs.  But jaysus the money is mental.

Waits for Nuttyo to ask just how he was being 'cute ' .

Edited by wcorkcanary

47 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Have you considered perhaps that a large part of the revenue TV companies make isn't from the subscriptions but from adverts, and a hell of a lot of companies aren't advertising right now and wouldn't for what would essentially be a pre-season friendly?

It is also true that TV companies have NO sports that they can broadcast now, so their advertising income in that field is ZERO. So the ability to broadcast some kind of meaningful sport live, however restricted it would be should mean a lot to them. Asking for a rebate from the EPL / clubs DESPITE showing the games is not a credible position. If they came up with a cost sharing formula, O.K, but this seems like economic blackmail. Or more likely someone with an agenda is telling porkies again.

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

Let me try and answer that for TvB Nuttyo, footy is an anomaly among  ' normal businesses' in that, at top levels,at least, finances, budgets etc are pretty much in the public domain. Therefore, if the size of the pie is known then all that are due a slice, go for as big a piece as possible..... but I think you were being a little cute when you asked the question. I suppose whether its greeedier than others, debatable maybe but you and I both know, as your posting indicates, the money game in footy is well out of control.

TvB will give you a better response from his POV,  I'll leave it to you two to split hairs.  But jaysus the money is mental.

Waits for Nuttyo to ask just how he was being 'cute ' .

I just don't think more money means greedy. Not really splitting hairs, I just see it differently. 

As an unhealthy desire for more money is greed then maybe there's more outside the game? Or even on this board?

I agree though. The money is ridiculous. I can honestly say that for me the game is no better for it. 

Edited by nutty nigel