Sign in to follow this  
Pugin

The players won't stand for Project Restart

35 minutes ago, Cyan said:

Ideally I'd like the games played, the season completed when it's safe to do so. 

But if they can't finish then it's PPG for me. None of this null and void folderol. Can't have you lot being rewarded for failure now can we. 

But you keep changing your mind every time you reply. 

Despite your assumptions my view has always been if the season can't be finished under the rules it was started and 3/4 played then it should be scrapped. Any decisions about outcomes should be decided from that point. 

Play the new season when safe to do so.

PPG is contrived. Any decision other than null and void will be contrived. Then, as with most things in football, he who pays the Piper calls the tune.

48 minutes ago, king canary said:

I'm not convinced a super league would be that much of a disaster.

It depends how willing fans of smaller clubs are to trade off quality for competitiveness. 

I really do wonder what appeal a closed off super league would have

Even when Norwich were in league 1, I maintained an interest in the leagues above not only because of the standard of football - but because thats where I want Norwich to be.

The champions league may not be a competition i'm likely to see Norwich compete in anytime soon but it's a good way of seeing how some of our best competitors fair up against the best of Europe

But that won't be the case with a Super league, it will be some unattainable league and those big ties won't be quite so special to me when they are on every single week.

At the same time it will open our own league up to "the rest" and especially here in England we will still (hopefully) have a fantastic pyramid to back it up.

My only condition is if you decide to go into this league then any re entry into our own will start from the bottom - no running back when you've suddenly gone years without winning anything and you're the SL whipping boys.

Edited by Throwaway
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, king canary said:

I totally agree.

I mentioned in another thread that is due some form of financial apocalypse to basically reset the sport. Didn't expect it to look like this though.

Only issue is I don't really trust the authorities and the clubs to employ and stick to sensible measures for the good of the game.

If it's not this it will be something else. Ultimately something that's unsustainable can't last.

Perhaps they could decide the final games on the difference between the owners wealth. Apparently that's how the league table is decided anyway. The winner's fans can then wave bank notes at the losers because even though it represents other people's money it's something to celebrate.

Edited by nutty nigel

13 minutes ago, Rivvo said:

So unless the Championship clubs complete their season then they won’t have earned the right to be there presumably? Didn’t you have more points at the same stage last season as when the fixtures were stopped this season, how did that work out

Last season we had around the same number of points a this stage. We were fighting it out for 2nd with a relentless Sheff Utd and i think you lot were starting to pull away. We wilted, threw it away. Absolutely. 

This year is different I feel. We are top, clear of 3rd by seven points not just one, top of the form table, coming off the back of 5 wins, 10 goals scored none conceded in those 5 games. On a roll playing well, scoring some excellent goals. Full of confidence. I believe we would have made it. Not without some drama no doubt but we'd have got there. 

So those who will say we won't have earned it well their bitter tears will just make it all the sweeter. 

Just now, Cyan said:

Last season we had around the same number of points a this stage. We were fighting it out for 2nd with a relentless Sheff Utd and i think you lot were starting to pull away. We wilted, threw it away. Absolutely. 

This year is different I feel. We are top, clear of 3rd by seven points not just one, top of the form table, coming off the back of 5 wins, 10 goals scored none conceded in those 5 games. On a roll playing well, scoring some excellent goals. Full of confidence. I believe we would have made it. Not without some drama no doubt but we'd have got there. 

So those who will say we won't have earned it well their bitter tears will just make it all the sweeter. 

leeds and WBA were the best two teams this season. I'm sure you would have seen it home on this occasion. I also believe though Cyan that we would have won 5 of our last 9 matches (our form for the past 10 games was good) and who knows we might have drawn one. Our fixtures (on paper) were easier than others around us. It would be patently unfair for us to be relegated without playing those last 9 matches. We were denied European competition too on 3 occasions because of Liverpool fans. That wasn't fair either. So all this talk about artificially ending the season seems wrong. But there we are

Im starting to wonder whether we are going to see Leeds declared champions.

And given a chance to defend their title next season.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

But you keep changing your mind every time you reply. 

Despite your assumptions my view has always been if the season can't be finished under the rules it was started and 3/4 played then it should be scrapped. Any decisions about outcomes should be decided from that point. 

Play the new season when safe to do so.

PPG is contrived. Any decision other than null and void will be contrived. Then, as with most things in football, he who pays the Piper calls the tune.

Haven't changed my mind at all. Play when it is safe to do so. If it can't be done then PPG. 

I just think that some of the rhetoric on here and elsewhere is laughable. You'd think the players were looking death square in the face every time they put on their boots 😂

Null and void seems to be the only option to you. No surprise there. 

Personally I don't think rewarding failure is a good idea. 

latest news is that if the Championship isn't completed then the EPL may not accept promotion. Which is entirely reasonable - otherwise its one rule for one league and a completely separate one for another. I would allow promotion but have an expanded EPL so that litigation is minimised for all kinds of reasons of unfairness (us being relegated without being able to complete and Leeds and WBA for example the same for promotion)

45 minutes ago, Cyan said:

Haven't changed my mind at all. Play when it is safe to do so. If it can't be done then PPG. 

I just think that some of the rhetoric on here and elsewhere is laughable. You'd think the players were looking death square in the face every time they put on their boots 😂

If the EFL decides it wants to finish its season by PPG then fair enough. If a way can be found to accommodate teams in the premier league that the EFL believes deserve promotion then that should be discussed. But it should not be at the expense of clubs who have been relegated on PPG and not had a chance to preserve their status over 38 games. That's my view. If we have to wait and complete the season in September then I don't really have a problem with that but we seem to be told that's not an option. 

4 minutes ago, Cyan said:

Again you're just assuming that nul and void means nothing will be decided. What I said was that nul and void should be the point it's decided from. What's decided is secondary to the health and safety of the nation.

Where do you get 'rewarding failure' from that? 

2 hours ago, Cyan said:

Well, no. It's factually correct to say that under normal league rules, you currently have not earned promotion to the Premier League.

If circumstances gift it to you, as the most likely team to go up, then fair enough. Clearly that is not the same thing as earning the title.

3 hours ago, Cyan said:

Imagine being known as the team that hadn't earned the right to be there. Why I think I would never live down the ignominy. 

Neither have you, yet. And in classic Leeds fashion you'll probably throw it away, believe you are owed it regardless, get cocky about the playoffs and then f**k that up too.

Imagine constantly falling short of THAT team's achievements no matter how hard you try. Season after season.

Imagine once being a big club and now being Norwich City's feeder club, at best.

Imagine bottling it every chance you get.

Imagine the name of your main fan forum being a constant reminder to how bitter you are as a club.

Move on, I'm sure there are some halfwits with a Napoleon complex on WACCOE that are missing you.

Edited by Flying Dutchman
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

If I was Farke and the other managers I would play the minimum players that can be on the pitch I think it 7 , then have the players given a dedicated zone they can play in a bit like the old fashioned table football game on sticks

no contact , little risk and they are sticking it to Sky in the process 

3 hours ago, Cyan said:

How about a 2 legged play off Norwich vs Leeds.. will give the country a boost and a good laugh when the Mighty Leeds bottle it, again.. 

4 hours ago, Cyan said:

Na

PPG for me

I’d like to see a restart just for the opportunity to watch Leeds bottle it again.

8 hours ago, Orly said:

1) Irrelevant.

2) Strawman argument - these are your words, not mine.  However, why and when should anybody consider the 'opinion' of non-experts in matters requiring expert opinion?  I assume you would agree with me that the answer is "never"?    

3) This is a fair point and am open to further discussion.  My definition of morality (in the context that I meant in my original post) is based upon the concept that we all have a 'moral' obligation to fulfill our pre-corona societal roles with courage (whilst taking all reasonable precautions), to heed scientific and government advice, and to be a good citizen.  This virus is here to stay for some time, if not in perpetuity.  Should scientific advice change, then I'd be willing to re-evaulate my own views.   Additionally, being 'moral' doesn't necessarily mean "hide in our houses, cowering from the virus until it it's safe to come out again", although I accept that we may have to do this repeatedly at various times in the coming years as and when necessary re: R number.

The debating-society answer to that is then that this moral duty to go back to work applies as much to the bank robber as the nurse. The more serious answer is that you can argue that a nurse, having signed up to the job knowing its dangers, should go back to work, or carry on working, because that is a vital role. You cannot make the same argument for footballers. Football is simply not an indispensable occupation.

Since when did any player worry their salary would ruin a football club? 

The EPL lot are so wealthy they have no reason to take the slightest risk. 

I am surprised how little football has mattered to me during this lock down. It has become irrelevant and the players are mostly shown up as living in a bubble. 

If clubs had to play though and their elite players refused they should field reserves or trainees. Now that would be interesting. 

6 hours ago, Flying Dutchman said:

Neither have you, yet. And in classic Leeds fashion you'll probably throw it away, believe you are owed it regardless, get cocky about the playoffs and then f**k that up too.

Imagine constantly falling short of THAT team's achievements no matter how hard you try. Season after season.

Imagine once being a big club and now being Norwich City's feeder club, at best.

Imagine bottling it every chance you get.

Imagine the name of your main fan forum being a constant reminder to how bitter you are as a club.

Move on, I'm sure there are some halfwits with amplex on WACCOE that are missing you.i

Oh so salty. And we are the bitter ones 🤔

Na f the games are played out we will secure promotion. Not without some drama no doubt but we will get there. Due to play Fulham at home. A draw, maintain the points gap and we'd be almost home. That isn't arrogance just belief.

If the games are played out Norwich will be relegated. A wonderfully memorable little trip into the EPL the rest of the division will be sad to see you go. The noise, the glamour, the atmosphere that the NCFC fans bring on away trips will be much missed I'm sure. 

Hopefully the EPL can survive such a loss. I hope little Leeds can live up to the high standards your club has set. We will see. 

If it's PPG that puts us up that's not ideal but not our doing so happy to take it. The fact that it will wind up so many fans of other clubs will just make it sweeter. 

Stay strong in these difficult times. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ian said:

Well, no. It's factually correct to say that under normal league rules, you currently have not earned promotion to the Premier League.

If circumstances gift it to you, as the most likely team to go up, then fair enough. Clearly that is not the same thing as earning the title.

Clearly. And it will really grind the gears of so many Leeds haters. Beautiful. 

If you're such a big club, why do you come on here to try to wind us up? The very definition of tin pot.....

Edited by Taiwan Canary

12 hours ago, Ian said:
14 hours ago, Cyan said:

Well, no. It's factually correct to say that under normal league rules, you currently have not earned promotion to the Premier League.   If circumstances gift it to you, as the most likely team to go up, then fair enough. Clearly that is not the same thing as earning the title.

This ^^^    Any team that is "promoted" under present circumstances gets it through the back door.......the real pressure comes in the last few games of a season - and that is where Leeds traditionally find it difficult.  Anyhow, seven points clear is nothing - you only need one bad result or a couple of draws and the teams below are suddenly breathing down your neck.

Promoted with nine games to go?  Nope, that is just wrong and if it happens, Leeds fans should not find that anything other than embarrassing. 

Edited by lake district canary

Just now, lake district canary said:

This ^^^    Any team thst is "promoted" under present circumstances gets it through the back door.......the real pressure comes in the last few games of a season - and that is where Leeds traditionally find it difficult.  Anyhow, seven points clear is nothing - you only need one bad result or a couple of draws and the teams below are suddenly breathing down your neck.

Promoted with nine games to go?  Nope, that is just wrong and if it happens, Leeds fans should not find that anything other than embarrassing. 

It’s the only way they will ever get promoted. 

5 hours ago, Cyan said:

Oh so salty. And we are the bitter ones 🤔

Na f the games are played out we will secure promotion. Not without some drama no doubt but we will get there. Due to play Fulham at home. A draw, maintain the points gap and we'd be almost home. That isn't arrogance just belief.

If the games are played out Norwich will be relegated. A wonderfully memorable little trip into the EPL the rest of the division will be sad to see you go. The noise, the glamour, the atmosphere that the NCFC fans bring on away trips will be much missed I'm sure. 

Hopefully the EPL can survive such a loss. I hope little Leeds can live up to the high standards your club has set. We will see. 

If it's PPG that puts us up that's not ideal but not our doing so happy to take it. The fact that it will wind up so many fans of other clubs will just make it sweeter. 

Stay strong in these difficult times. 

Bitter? Not sure you’ll find much bitterness or jealously from Norwich fans towards Leeds here. I know it hard for you to understand due to the massive chip on your collective shoulders but we don’t really give a toss. And apart from a few years where you cheated and bullied yourselves to a few trophies before most of us were born, including you I assume, you’ve actually hugely underachieved for such a ‘huge club’. 16,000 in league one for one of, if not the biggest one club citIes in Europe is pretty poor and shows the fickleness rather than this die hard, loyal following you’ll try to convince us of. Having a reputation for beating up kids and pensioners isn’t something to be hugely proud of either.. 

1 minute ago, rondy said:

Bitter? Not sure you’ll find much bitterness or jealously from Norwich fans towards Leeds here. I know it hard for you to understand due to the massive chip on your collective shoulders but we don’t really give a toss. And apart from a few years where you cheated and bullied yourselves to a few trophies before most of us were born, including you I assume, you’ve actually hugely underachieved for such a ‘huge club’. 16,000 in league one for one of, if not the biggest one club citIes in Europe is pretty poor and shows the fickleness rather than this die hard, loyal following you’ll try to convince us of. Having a reputation for beating up kids and pensioners isn’t something to be hugely proud of either.. 

While I'm not a Leeds fan, I'd suggest this posts indicates you actually do give a toss...

5 hours ago, Cyan said:

Clearly. And it will really grind the gears of so many Leeds haters. Beautiful. 

If you say so. I expect most people would struggle to even raise an eyebrow given what's happened worldwide over the last few months.

And if you think winning the league by default is "beautiful" then that is your choice. I expect most clubs would find it quite embarrassing to be handed a title in such a way, particularly when they have a history of rather bottling it. Such a big club. 🤔

14 minutes ago, king canary said:

While I'm not a Leeds fan, I'd suggest this posts indicates you actually do give a toss...

Not really, it’s only because he’s come on our board acting all Billy big balls

Edited by rondy