Sign in to follow this  
Pugin

The players won't stand for Project Restart

Good news in my opinion. While the Government tries to creakingly get the country working again, it seems that at most Premier League clubs the players themselves are wisely resistant to a premature resumption of games. Even at Liverpool there is a groundswell of fear and resistance amongst some if not all the players.

This story will run. The press should get hold of it quickly and no doubt put their own spin on it. Public opinion will be behind the players and it is hard to see how any restart can take place with reluctant participants. I know this to be the case within at least four clubs, and suspect it applies to many / all.

Todd Cantwell has tweeted his concern. Clearly not happy. I don't blame any of them for being worried. It's a lung disease and there is no guarantee that it doesn't cause long term effects. Even a 5% reduction in lung function would be the end of a Premier League career 

19 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Todd Cantwell has tweeted his concern. Clearly not happy. I don't blame any of them for being worried. It's a lung disease and there is no guarantee that it doesn't cause long term effects. Even a 5% reduction in lung function would be the end of a Premier League career 

Absolutely, it really is astonishing that anyone can be in favour of this when there is so much we still dont know about the virus and its effects.

Talksport have launched into Danny Rose. Woods McCoist and Flintoff were all focused on attacking how it was said, little comment on why he may have said it - "is there any need for this language" "he hasn't put his point across very well" 

Then on the news summary its labelled as a "foul mouth rant on instagram where he states he doesn't care about public moral because he's more worried about public safety" - where the last two words are said almost as if they belong in air quotes.

I know the obvious reasons for the bias but hopefully if player safety is this much of an issue enough will speak out to get the public onside despite the noise coming out of the sports media.

At Norwich there are very strong feelings amongst the players, all being fielded and pulled together by players' rep Timm Klose. But I think it's important to leave Norwich out of the discussion as they could be accused of having a vested interest. Other clubs have exactly the same response from players.

It is the other mid-table and not relegation-thrwatened clubs that will make all the difference.

The mid table clubs players have lots to lose and nothing to gain by the season being restarted anytime soon.

• Like 2

I have spoken to somebody this morning who told me that the games will resume on 12th June as a fact. When i asked where has that been announced i was told Sky !

All part of a propaganda campaign by them if you ask me with nothing but money, money, money behind it.

In an ideal world the 50 page document said it hopes to commence professional sport in stadiums sometime in June subject to certain criteria and this virus continuing to be on the decline but looks like Sky are twisting that proposal purely for their own gain.

• Haha 1

Tyrone Mings tweeted on how if a player from a top team says they are worried about playing it is natural but if a player from a team in the bottom six says it they are obstructive and trying to avoid relegation.

It amazes how all these owners, who I assume from their wealth are successful business people would want to risk their valuable assets. Sterling is now questioning the wisdom of playing. He must be worth £150M to ManC and yet they would be willing to risk him and others of similar value, for the sake of TV money and possibly next seasons CL money.

I agree with this. Notable how more and more players are starting to come out and express doubts. I can see this being the thing that ultimately sinks Project Re-Start. They may obviously have to accept that if they do take that stance the pay cuts may have to follow so i hope the PFA engage constructively rather than just protecting wages at all costs. You can;t put a price on health/safety.

In the alternative we end up with games re-starting with many star players opting out which would make the games even more of a farce. 

3 hours ago, Van wink said:

Absolutely, it really is astonishing that anyone can be in favour of this when there is so much we still dont know about the virus and its effects.

Yes. The Washington Post had a piece about this yesteday, saying doctors were discovering new problems with organs other than the lungs, such as the kidneys, the heart and the brain.

If the restart doesn't go ahead then weighted PPG it is. 

N&V definitely off the table. 

Stay strong. 

2 minutes ago, Cyan said:

If the restart doesn't go ahead then weighted PPG it is. 

N&V definitely off the table. 

Stay strong. 

I think that is probably quite likely - to protect the integrity of the game, of course.

No doubt legal battles will rage for some time, but I would rather be relegated than risk the lives of players and staff given it is still very early days for this virus.

7 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

Gary Neville saying that there are as many as 25% of players who don't want to restart and he thinks that if it happens then it shouldn't be until July

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8310875/They-need-start-thinking-July-start-Neville-warns-PL-faces-Project-Restart-delay.html

July!? So when will it finish? Mid-August, maybe even early September?

That's not going to happen in a million years. Let's ruin next season and the TV money that comes with it just to play a quarter of this one. 

It will be PPG before this. It just remains to be seen if they promote and relegate or not.

No doubt legal battles will rage for some time, but I would rather be relegated than risk the lives of players and staff given it is still very early days for this virus.

Exactly. As long as we play again, the proper way of course, then there is nothing to worry about. Will people stop going if we are relegated? Of course not. It doesn't matter if you lose to Southampton or beat Middlesborough. It is football.

• Like 1

That's not going to happen in a million years. Let's ruin next season and the TV money that comes with it just to play a quarter of this one. 

If the rumour is true that the media want money back even if its behind closed doors, they certainly won't be handing any out for a messed up, truncated next season.

What nobody is even mentioning is the vunerability of BAME players, in particular Black players to this disease. Many more BAME people are dying for reasons we dont know, deprivation being a factor but there is more to it than that imo. What proposals have been made as how the EPL will be paying particular attention to protection especially vunerable players?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Van wink said:

What nobody is even mentioning is the vunerability of BAME players, in particular Black players to this disease. Many more BAME people are dying for reasons we dont know, deprivation being a factor but there is more to it than that imo. What proposals have been made as how the EPL will be paying particular attention to protection especially vunerable players?

Don't you think TV money, global markets, and the "integrity of our sport" trumps any minor issues like the one above Van?

Just now, Ian said:

Don't you think TV money, global markets, and the "integrity of our sport" trumps any minor issues like the one above Van?

No but I know somebody that does 😉

I think it is noticeable that the ones questioning it are Sterling, Rose, Mings. All BAME and international standard.

3 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Agreed. Look at the players who are starting to come out against this this week. Rose, Sterling, Macanuff (I know he's retired). These are guys who will be influencial in the BAME player communities. if this is how they feel about it then i think its a reasonable assumption that their concerns will be shared quite widely. That's not to say that its not a risk to white players as well though!

It seems most of you are aware that everyone else in the entire country is returning to work, with little / no access to testing, having to take public transport in some instances, and getting paid a few quid an hour?  But somehow, premier league players paid millions, with access to plentiful resources for protecting staff and players somehow need to be protected above and beyond the general populace??

Also, I couldn't give two sh1ts about a footballer's opinion on a virus.  That's like asking the milkman for a 10,000 word dissertation on Ugandan cultural appropriation and economic recovery in the 1990s.

They are entitled to not FEEL safe if they wish.  They are not entitled to NOT do their jobs.  AND in my opinion, they have a moral obligation to do them,  like I have when I have gone to work when possible, so as to not burden the self-employment scheme more than I absolutely have to.

Big John Ruddy has got it right in the story on the main site now:

https://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/john-ruddy-on-return-1-6648853

9 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

July!? So when will it finish? Mid-August, maybe even early September?

It will be PPG before this. It just remains to be seen if they promote and relegate or not.

I find it difficult to envisage football starting next season, at least in the same form that it has in the past. The big problem is still going to be maintaining social distancing on the terraces plus dangers to the players in a contact sport. And I can't see how these will be overcome in a reasonable and satisfactory way. 

If we get to late autumn and these problems are unresolved not only do we face the prospect of the season overrunning but how to finance an expensive squad that isn't playing.

And even if you do solve the issues will people still want to watch live football? NCFC demographics show we are heavily weighted towards the elderly season ticket holder. Will they want to risk their lives?

It will affect every single team, not just us, and I predict  clubs will fall into bankruptcy before the end of the year. 

2 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

I find it difficult to envisage football starting next season, at least in the same form that it has in the past. The big problem is still going to be maintaining social distancing on the terraces plus dangers to the players in a contact sport. And I can't see how these will be overcome in a reasonable and satisfactory way. 

If we get to late autumn and these problems are unresolved not only do we face the prospect of the season overrunning but how to finance an expensive squad that isn't playing.

And even if you do solve the issues will people still want to watch live football? NCFC demographics show we are heavily weighted towards the elderly season ticket holder. Will they want to risk their lives?

It will affect every single team, not just us, and I predict  clubs will fall into bankruptcy before the end of the year. 

Whilst I agree with everything you say, the Premier League and football in general have to plan for next season as if it's going to happen. That's why a July restart isn't practical; it eliminates the possibility of next season starting (and therefore finishing, you have to assume) on time.

37 minutes ago, Orly said:

It seems most of you are aware that everyone else in the entire country is returning to work, with little / no access to testing, having to take public transport in some instances, and getting paid a few quid an hour?  But somehow, premier league players paid millions, with access to plentiful resources for protecting staff and players somehow need to be protected above and beyond the general populace??

Also, I couldn't give two sh1ts about a footballer's opinion on a virus.  That's like asking the milkman for a 10,000 word dissertation on Ugandan cultural appropriation and economic recovery in the 1990s.

They are entitled to not FEEL safe if they wish.  They are not entitled to NOT do their jobs.  AND in my opinion, they have a moral obligation to do them,  like I have when I have gone to work when possible, so as to not burden the self-employment scheme more than I absolutely have to.

No.

56 minutes ago, Orly said:

1) It seems most of you are aware that everyone else in the entire country is returning to work, with little / no access to testing, having to take public transport in some instances, and getting paid a few quid an hour?  But somehow, premier league players paid millions, with access to plentiful resources for protecting staff and players somehow need to be protected above and beyond the general populace??

2) Also, I couldn't give two sh1ts about a footballer's opinion on a virus.  That's like asking the milkman for a 10,000 word dissertation on Ugandan cultural appropriation and economic recovery in the 1990s.

3) They are entitled to not FEEL safe if they wish.  They are not entitled to NOT do their jobs.  AND in my opinion, they have a moral obligation to do them,  like I have when I have gone to work when possible, so as to not burden the self-employment scheme more than I absolutely have to.

1) The extra protection for players is being called for by the Premier League/the top clubs because they are desperate to finish the season for financial reasons. I imagine many of the players are embarrassed that they might get preferential treatment.

2) The 'footballers are thickoes' argument writ very large. You do not need to be an epidemiologist to work out that this virus could kill you.

3) There is no moral obligation to do your job if that endangers your health and that of those around you.

Edited by PurpleCanary
  • Like 5