Sign in to follow this  
Jezzard

Whose mad idea is Points per Game?

2 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

Leeds fans are panicking because if they don't go up this season they're ****ed, the coaching staff and the better players will be gone and they'll be right back to where they were before Bielsa became coach. 

Every cloud... 

1 hour ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Don't be all logical and factual with him 😂

As I've said on here many times about our resident know-it-all; you can't reason with an idiot as they're an idiot for a reason 

Precious little factual in what he wrote. Much conjecture, presumption mixed in with a healthy dose of emotive nonsense. 

But let's run with it. If the season cannot be finished what is the plan? No football until there is a widely available vaccine? Mothball the game for 12 months? 

Or do you lot really mean don't resume the game until they announce no relegation or void. Then hey ho let's go.

Yes, thought so. 

Which is fair enough by the way, you are just looking after No1. Just don't dress it up as something else eh?

15 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Leeds fans are panicking. 

If you read what Parry has said/commented on it's always been with the view that their season will be complete. Never once has he said (I don't believe) that he is expecting any teams to be promoted based on PPG or any other kind of system.

All of his statements/comments have been about finishing the Championship season.

I suspect he's being quite clever in that and that would suggest that things aren't quite so cast iron if the season cannot be finished in the normal fashion, ie completing all the fixtures.

I've said it before, the final situation will be dictated by lawyers and negotiations not through completing games in both the EPL and Championship.

Yes and i'm not convinced that he/the EFL have any genuine intention of completing their season. They certainly don't seem to have an equivalent of "project re-start" yet and one would have to question if they can get a plan in place in time. He's still talking about playing games on club's home grounds for example which we are told is a no-go.

2 minutes ago, Cyan said:

Precious little factual in what he wrote. Much conjecture, presumption mixed in with a healthy dose of emotive nonsense. 

But let's run with it. If the season cannot be finished what is the plan? No football until there is a widely available vaccine? Mothball the game for 12 months? 

Or do you lot really mean don't resume the game until they announce no relegation or void. Then hey ho let's go.

Yes, thought so. 

Which is fair enough by the way, you are just looking after No1. Just don't dress it up as something else eh?

😂

Just now, Jim Smith said:

Yes and i'm not convinced that he/the EFL have any genuine intention of completing their season. They certainly don't seem to have an equivalent of "project re-start" yet and one would have to question if they can get a plan in place in time. He's still talking about playing games on club's home grounds for example which we are told is a no-go.

Without question there is going to be masses of politicking going on at the top of the EPL and EFL. I strongly suspect they are making whatever statements they can now to reflect well with their members, whilst privately hoping the Government do their job for them and force a cancellation. Always looking to pass the blame.

4 minutes ago, Cyan said:

Yes, thought so. 

I think if you asked the fans most would say don't resume the game until its safe (or at least much safer). The clubs might be different in that they want/need the tv monies but I've not actually heard any of the bottom 6 say that they will proceed on neutral grounds if relegation is scrapped. That has been a media spin put out there but i'm far from convinced its coming from the bottom 6. They have just said they want to resume but not on neutral grounds.

Just now, DraytonBoy said:

Bit unkind, not all Leeds fans are muppets.:classic_smile:

No I’m sure they are not. Unfortunately for Leeds they do have more than their fair share! 

Just now, DraytonBoy said:

Bit unkind, not all Leeds fans are muppets.:classic_smile:

No I’m sure they are not. Unfortunately for Leeds they do have more than their fair share though! 

Money talks - clubs will see massive reduction in revenue from sky etc and that will force clubs to play -even if its mean playing weaken squads 

35 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

Leeds fans are panicking because if they don't go up this season they're ****ed, the coaching staff and the better players will be gone and they'll be right back to where they were before Bielsa became coach. 

Exactly.....

If the EPL restarts as muted in mid June and plays out to a finish and we are relegated, then that's the way it is. It will be ended as if was meant quite naturally. No other club though from the EFL beneath will have 'earned' promotion or relegation. A crazy situation. 

Money's talked more and more each year since 1992. It got to the point where other people's money became some sort of entitlement. Why would that change because of the virus? If it does change let's hope it's a sea change for the future.

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

If the season is made nul and void is it still 4,041 days since we lost to the binners...

You've got to feel sorry for them...another year in the wilderness too...🤭🤣

Apples

4 minutes ago, Mr Apples said:

You've got to feel sorry for them...another year in the wilderness too...🤭🤣

Apples

Isn't 40 years the standard for that?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cyan said:

Yes, thought so. 

That's a talent, ask us a question and then answer it for us 👍

I believe that a large number of Norwich fans couldn't care less about the PL, it's set up to support the big clubs and let's be honest VAR is just making it even easier to let the big teams get the decisions, I see that plenty of fans from across a lot of clubs have christened is LiVARpool so I'm sure you guys are right behind it being used and love it.

I don't speak to others on here but quite frankly I couldn't be any less bothered about football right now if I tried, the fact that you and your local friends and Leeds fans are so determined to undermine what the country is going through speaks volumes and is all I need to know.

Oh and as for the plan, the PLAN should be to give this virus a bit longer to see if the country can get better control of it rather than trying to force players in to playing just for the benefit of completing a season to give you lot the title.

Always knew that Liverpool fans were classless, now I know it; thanks for confirming 👍

Liverpool? Try again Poirot. 

So you couldn't care less about football right now? Fair enough if it goes to PPG there will be no squealing from you. Good to know. 

4 hours ago, Pugin said:

OK, I'll bite. I know I shouldn't do, and that you are not here for the long haul, but despite all that I will still bite.

• There is benefit to the country's economy to resume Premier games quickly. Therefore 'return to work' is not the issue.
  • There is a real and tangible risk of exposing professional athletes to potential infection. If say 5 or 10 players do become infected during the Resume process, it will put proper resumption back months if not years.
  • Who in their right mind would risk the death (we are talking about potential death) if not essential.
  • Can you imaging the effect of only one player at your club becoming infected, and dying? Can you?
  • There is evidence growing that the fitter the individual, the more potential damage the virus will cause.
  • We do not have any concept of the long term effect of the virus.
  • Do you understand how mentality traumatic the experience will be for all those players and non-players involved, and their loved ones? Think about it.
  • We don't yet understand why BAME people appear more susceptible to the virus.
  • There will be players who find a way of avoiding playing. Who can blame them. They deserve support.
  • We don't know if you can be tested 'Negative' on Day One but be 'Positive' the next day (game day). 
  • A return to playing behind closed doors will be artificial in every sense. It will prove little.
  • The country will be teetering around the +1 'R' rate in a month's time. We are playing with fire to have unnecessary mass gatherings such as games of football.
  • Think of the message it would send to the population. Relax folks, you will be OK.

So no, we can't play while this virus is around. At least, not until it is fully understood and we are able to mitigate the risks. If we don't understand the risks, how do we know that any mitigation is adequate?

Someone needs to knock this on the head very soon. The Government and EPL will not, the PFA should but won't as frankly they are not intellectually capable or inclined, the clubs could but it remains to be seen if they will. 

Please respond.

Players risking death, mentally traumatic for players and their families. Hyperbole. 

Hopefully you and these poor players facing death head on will take some heart from a study that La Liga is about to release. It concludes that the chances of players contracting the virus at a game is 'virtually nil'. 

1 hour ago, Cyan said:

Players risking death, mentally traumatic for players and their families. Hyperbole. 

Hopefully you and these poor players facing death head on will take some heart from a study that La Liga is about to release. It concludes that the chances of players contracting the virus at a game is 'virtually nil'. 

I'm guessing you may be a Leeds fan. Many have come on here over the years for some reason. I suspect the EPL will play out their games and relegations and other places will be sorted. Yet the Championship won't be played out and instead it will be PPG. Therefore two different rules. Leeds will get their promotion and if you are a fan, you'll be happy (and won't need to land here again unless we recover some form in the weird remainder of the season). Fairness? Life isn't about fairness is it.

Edited by sonyc

1 hour ago, Cyan said:

Comparison with Spain is not like-for-like. Spain reports 13,055 deaths to date. England reports 29,710. Spain is far ahead of England in terms of the progress of the virus. Spain is planning a resumption on 12th June. The Premier League does not yet have a resumption date but the signs are that it will be sooner.

For you information, across most EPL clubs the players are very reluctant to resume playing until if is safe to do so. We shall see how this plays out. There are considerable rumblings which can only get louder.

As for a risk assessment giving an infection likelihood rating of 'virtually nil', I shall believe it when I see it. Quite honestly, it is impossible to accept.

I love it when everyone is talking of PPG, i can assure you that will not happen. You just cant relegate teams for the sake of it. 

There are 27 points to play for and we could get at least 15 or more no problem.

Look at Leicester the year before they won the league, say no more........

1 minute ago, HairyTeeth said:

I love it when everyone is talking of PPG, i can assure you that will not happen. You just cant relegate teams for the sake of it. 

There are 27 points to play for and we could get at least 15 or more no problem.

Look at Leicester the year before they won the league, say no more........

Although you are correct it has emerged that the F.A have insisted in the PL meeting today that if the season is curtailed then ppg will be used and teams relegated by it. And yes it will end up going to court and will get very messy 

5 minutes ago, JF said:

Although you are correct it has emerged that the F.A have insisted in the PL meeting today that if the season is curtailed then ppg will be used and teams relegated by it. And yes it will end up going to court and will get very messy 

If it happens then however much you get by staying in the league would be our compensation amount. We are not legally relegated and the loss of earnings would be what we get. 

I still think it wont happen as its one of the worst ideas. 

Who goes up from the Championship? The clubs below Leeds and West Brom can put in an injuction stopping promotion resulting in no relegation.

3 minutes ago, HairyTeeth said:

If it happens then however much you get by staying in the league would be our compensation amount. We are not legally relegated and the loss of earnings would be what we get. 

Who goes up from the Championship? The clubs below Leeds and West Brom can put in an injuction stopping promotion resulting in no relegation.

Agree, it’s going to get very messy and lawyers will get very rich 

2 minutes ago, HairyTeeth said:

Personally the big stick that any team threatened with such an 'unfair'  relegation holds is simply to tie up the start of the next season until the legal arguments are settled. An injunction. 2022 anybody.... Billions lost.

A lawyer on R4 this morning was if the view that if it came to a financial settlement/resolution or legal action then it would more likely to be the former. He thought the EPL would wish to throw additional money at parachute payments as a 'compensation'.

10 minutes ago, sonyc said:

A lawyer on R4 this morning was if the view that if it came to a financial settlement/resolution or legal action then it would more likely to be the former. He thought the EPL would wish to throw additional money at parachute payments as a 'compensation'.

Agree and said that before, the value will depend on whether it gets messy.

Will also see how the EFL cover that also as the teams in 4th, 5th and 6th will miss out on the chance and have every right to expect to be promoted as the 'rules' for the EFL are clear that 1st and 2and go up and the next 4 play off to gain promotion.

Does the EFL have the funds to defend that as that potentially equates to £100m of loss to one of them.

Really does make you wonder why they are so determined to do it because the point of least resistance is null & void and they have every justification to do that with the pandemic.

3 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Agree and said that before, the value will depend on whether it gets messy.

Will also see how the EFL cover that also as the teams in 4th, 5th and 6th will miss out on the chance and have every right to expect to be promoted as the 'rules' for the EFL are clear that 1st and 2and go up and the next 4 play off to gain promotion.

Does the EFL have the funds to defend that as that potentially equates to £100m of loss to one of them.

Really does make you wonder why they are so determined to do it because the point of least resistance is null & void and they have every justification to do that with the pandemic.

Agree...Yet isn't the null and void option now definitely off the table?

Just now, sonyc said:

Agree...Yet isn't the null and void option now definitely off the table?

Yes, hence my point; what is the real driver for not following that path.

The whole integrity piece is let's be honest bull stuff and the financials can be renegotiated with longer deals.

Efl are looking for a neutral venue to play the play offs over 1 leg and then the final to determine the final promotion place from the 4 teams current in the play offs. Again this is on the presumption that none of the teams just outside the play offs challenge this and that Fulham don’t also challenge Leeds and West Brom getting automatically promoted! There should have been clear direction to null and void all leagues from the top as this is going to end is mass litigation