Sign in to follow this  
Well b back

Brighton player tests positive

A third Brighton player has tested positive for coronavirus.

The unnamed player, who will now self isolate for 14 days, was tested on Saturday - two other players tested positive earlier in the pandemic.

I reckon this proposed project restart will consist of 7 a side games with players testing positive here,there and everywhere and some  deciding not to play.

Other teams will love the prospect of playing against Brighton. Great opportunity to get right in the faces of the opposition and start horking and spitting. 

I have  suspicion that the player themselves in the event will refuse to play / be quarantined for weeks away from family .

Would you ?

45 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

I have  suspicion that the player themselves in the event will refuse to play / be quarantined for weeks away from family .

Would you ?

They will have no choice unless they get the backing of their clubs;  breach of contract. We're all going to have to return to work at some point potentially in more hazardous environments than we are used to, so I have little sympathy for them. They've been taking full pay, now they have to earn it.

It will be football with a twist - Russian Routlette!

Todd Cantwell getting a lot of grief now from these brain dead Liverpool and Leeds fans for this tweet

22 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

They will have no choice unless they get the backing of their clubs;  breach of contract.

I have already posted somewhere the both OGS and Chris Wilder will respect their players decisions if they decide they have no desire to play. I suspect there are other managers who feel the same way but have not gone public. Farke may well be one of them for all we know.

• Like 1

Do you really think though Til that players would actually say that they would have no desire to play? So, in effect it's easy for Wilder and IGS to say that. Perhaps I'm being too cynical.

42 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

They will have no choice unless they get the backing of their clubs;  breach of contract. We're all going to have to return to work at some point potentially in more hazardous environments than we are used to, so I have little sympathy for them. They've been taking full pay, now they have to earn it.

Unless the government advice changes I’m not sure. Every other business is having to put reasonable measures in place to observe 2m distancing and protect employees.

Why does football get a pass and get to force its employees to ignore the advice?

Edited by Monty13
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, KeiranShikari said:

Knowing their recent history why on earth do Leeds fans want the season to finish?

They don’t. They want it finished on points per game so they are promoted and current bottom 3 relegated 

8 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Do you really think though Til that players would actually say that they would have no desire to play? So, in effect it's easy for Wilder and IGS to say that. Perhaps I'm being too cynical.

I agree with this. Coaches and clubs can't realistically force their players to play and they have to say in public that they'll respect their players' wishes, but I think internally the players will feel pressured into playing.

Maybe those with an underlying health condition (Dean Smith has said that one of his players is asthmatic, for example) might be excused but I'd be very surprised if any other players who are deemed healthy will feel bold enough to not play. The clubs who pay their wages wouldn't be impressed and they'd probably end up, fairly or unfairly, with a reputation in the game for being a bottler.

La Liga confirmed 5 players have tested positive on return

2 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

They would simply go on strike. All they are asking for is safe(r) working conditions. Let's face it there isn't a football club in the PL that would sack/discipline their player for refusing to play based on safety grounds. 

• Like 1

There could be a mass outbreak of soft tissue injuries ..... something that might take a few weeks to clear up. Natural outcome of rushing a second "pre-season" ... 

Anyone see Parish on Marr this morning. He tried to make a case for a return as they all have but as soon as questions are thrown at it like player safety etc he has to admit it is no given it will finish even if it starts.

11 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Anyone see Parish on Marr this morning. He tried to make a case for a return as they all have but as soon as questions are thrown at it like player safety etc he has to admit it is no given it will finish even if it starts.

Below is the current table on PPG basis. From a NCFC perspective we'd better hope if it does restart then it does finish as we are stuffed. Bottom 5 looks interesting, as does Manure and Sheff Utd. I assume that if the season does restart but later abandoned due to player safety concerns the final table will be based on PPG at the point of abandonment? 

Liverpool - 2.83 PPG

Manchester City - 2.04

Leicester - 1.83

Chelsea - 1.66

Manchester Utd - 1.55

Sheffield Utd - 1.54

Wolves - 1.48

Arsenal - 1.43

Tottenham - 1.41

Burnley - 1.34

Crystal Palace - 1.34

Everton - 1.28

Newcastle - 1.21

Southampton - 1.17

Brighton - 1.00

West Ham - 0.93

Watford - 0.93

Bournemouth - 0.93

Aston Villa - 0.89

Norwich - 0.72

6 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Below is the current table on PPG basis. From a NCFC perspective we'd better hope if it does restart then it does finish as we are stuffed. Bottom 5 looks interesting, as does Manure and Sheff Utd. I assume that if the season does restart but later abandoned due to player safety concerns the final table will be based on PPG at the point of abandonment? 

Liverpool - 2.83 PPG

Manchester City - 2.04

Leicester - 1.83

Chelsea - 1.66

Manchester Utd - 1.55

Sheffield Utd - 1.54

Wolves - 1.48

Arsenal - 1.43

Tottenham - 1.41

Burnley - 1.34

Crystal Palace - 1.34

Everton - 1.28

Newcastle - 1.21

Southampton - 1.17

Brighton - 1.00

West Ham - 0.93

Watford - 0.93

Bournemouth - 0.93

Aston Villa - 0.89

Norwich - 0.72

The EFL are basing the PPG on home/away points apparently, so if the Premier League goes PPG they may opt for the same.

It will help a bit to calculate it that way as we do have 15 points from 14 home games but only 6 from 15 away games. 

But the EPL must get their remaining money so 7 clubs do have the power to negotiate how that is to be done. Void for sporting purposes, play on for national entertainment. If they can change the rules for VAR, neutral grounds, substitutes, length of game, and contracts, they could also rule change for larger squad sizes, replacement players and final league position prize money too. Once you start why not? 

We all know this is only on the table for money, do you think Burnley care about their results for the rest of the season as long as they get paid? Why risk any of the first team squad to potential injury or worse, if they can instead treat it like the FA Cup and rotate five first team players and top those up with reserves? 

The more this drags on, the more ludicrous trying to play out the remaining fixtures seems. 

I don’t even care about the relegation issue to be honest. It’s is more than likely we were going down anyway so I think I’d rather end the season as it is, take relegation on the chin and focus on the players being fit and the country being able to watch a proper season of football again next season. 

why risk ruining two seasons? Why risk players picking up injuries through a lack of preparation or picking up covid-19 and getting I serious trouble?. It’s daft, and I think it’s shameful that money, yet again is the driving factor. I for one, would love to see a football financial collapse, at least then we stand a chance of getting out real game back. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Barry Brockes said:

I don't know how to do a linky thing but the Telegraph is reporting eight Premier League clubs are against neutral venues.