Sign in to follow this  

Programme on Sky about Arsenal winning the title at Anfield in the last game of the season. Four games before this - Arsenal 5 Norwich 0 

Noted we were also top of the league that season for a long while and only 3 pts behind Arsenal come end of March (Wikipedia).   Another exceptional nearly team.... but not that day.   Think we lost our edge the day of the Semi Final v Everton with events at Hillsborough.   We finished 4th.

Throughout our league history, it seems that whenever we've done well we are still occasionally a shambles defensively. When we finished 3rd we took some batterings at Blackburn and Spurs.

Even under Lambert we were occasionally shocking and let loads of goals in. Of course Hughton's team could defend but do nothing else.

I can't actually recall a season when we have performed well defensively and that has translated to any form of success - anyone?

6 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Throughout our league history, it seems that whenever we've done well we are still occasionally a shambles defensively. When we finished 3rd we took some batterings at Blackburn and Spurs.

Even under Lambert we were occasionally shocking and let loads of goals in. Of course Hughton's team could defend but do nothing else.

I can't actually recall a season when we have performed well defensively and that has translated to any form of success - anyone?

Bruce and Watson 85/86 were imperious. Played the offside trap brilliantly, tough and able to read a game. Still feel our best defensive duo ever in modern times. 

59 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Bruce and Watson 85/86 were imperious. Played the offside trap brilliantly, tough and able to read a game. Still feel our best defensive duo ever in modern times. 

The word 'modern' is a highly subjective. That's ancient history to some of us. 

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

True there aren't that many but the 1971/2 Saunders side that secured our promotion to the top division for the first time had a solid defence. Forbes and Stringer were outstanding.

Appreciate that those days are ancient history to many on  here.

85/86 was in the 2nd divison watson/bruce with woods behind them had a cigar on most weeks as we walked the league.

Despite that 5-0 at Arsenal our defence that season with Butterworth/Linighan was actually quite good, kept quite a few clean sheets.

Hughton's first season with Bassong/Turner was ok?....although we clearly sacrificed at the othet end of the pitch

1989 the year my daughter was born so it will always be in my brain.

Edited by TIL 1010

33 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

The word 'modern' is a highly subjective. That's ancient history to some of us. 

Okay, fair enough. Thought it was reasonable to go back to mid 80s.

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

Think man city also beat us 7-1 that season we came 3rd

1 hour ago, kick it off said:

Think man city also beat us 7-1 that season we came 3rd

It was Blackburn KIO.

10 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

It was Blackburn KIO.

Could have sworn we lost 7-1 twice that season but records don't back me up on that!!