Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

How’s everyone’s VE Day going ?

3 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Well according to you it was to lay a wreath on the war memorial and to visit your brother. I assumed you were stating facts whereas your post about my Police service was indeed drivel, unsubstantiated at that.

I never claimed anything about 'laying a wreath'

and the point here is that you thought this was a chance to have a dig at me, so without asking or even understanding current guidance in you jumped ...................yet again

now why not tell us what you did or your thoughts on VE Day were

I know hand crank spent his time ranting on here, I checked

7 minutes ago, Bill said:

I never claimed anything about 'laying a wreath'

Drove over to my village, laid some flowers on the War memorial then spent the rest of the day with my brother - and managed to catch up a couple of the only familiar faces left on the estate.

My bad for stating wreath instead of flowers but the rest still stands by the look of it.

'"My bad "

how old are you, 12 ?

I laid a few flowers on behalf of someone else - as it was his uncle whose name was on the memorial from WW2, there are only four names from WW2 - laying a wreath has different connotations, this was personal

There was nobody I came into any contact with as I stopped the car - and the flowers were merely some wild marigolds that were from my garden

As said elsewhere you have dug yourself a hole, in which you have neither the grace nor sense to stop digging

If it suits you to continue try making out that my actions on Friday were ones of callous disregard for others when in fact they were the opposite then carry one - it only makes your intent all the more obvious.

Why Bill, I hear you say, what's all this stuff about S guarding at the Nuremberg trials

note loud/sound

and Japanese troops under British command ?

"Due to British manpower shortages in the combat against the local resistance fighters who sought national independence, JSP were often pressed into combat service alongside British occupation troops. Louis Mountbatten took on 35,000 Japanese troops into his command in Indonesia. Retaining their wartime organisation and led by Japanese officers they had to fight alongside the British,"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Surrendered_Personnel

and SS soldiers being brought to Britain ?

"In 1947 the Labour government of Clement Attlee approved the bringing to Britain of the remains of an entire division of the **** Waffen SS, numbering some 8,000 men.* The 14th SS Division, called the Galizien (Galicia), consisted entirely of Ukrainians, mostly from Polish Ukraine which had been taken over by the Soviets after the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact of August 1939. "

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2000/jun/12/freedomofinformation.uk

poles after the war

"73 years ago, the British Labour government, under pressure from Stalin, did not invite the Polish Armed Forces, who fought with the Allies, to the Victory Parade in London. The parade took place on 8 June 1946 to celebrate the victory over Germany during World War II."

Polish ships at D Day (along with French, Dutch, Greek, Norwegian)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Allied_warships_in_the_Normandy_landings

The intention of the OP was to point out that not everything was a black and white as some of the jingoistic nonsense peddled would have. I had not really believed that hand crank would even attempt to back his smear (lie), so I have put up some basic info to set the record straight.

What was right, or wrong was and is always going to be open to debate - as we have seen on another matter. But as with that, no debate is helped by those who wish to disseminate lies  to muddy the waters

As with 8pm on Thursday

they had a clap for Victory

20 minutes ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

Having only just read this thread I'm surprised that no one has pointed out that the celebrations in 1945 were such that Doctors referred to it as VD Day.

Victory in Deutschland 🤔😂