Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

How’s everyone’s VE Day going ?

Nice safe distancing party in back gardens going on in my street with a DJ. That’s made me open a Wolf Blass and enjoy the sounds. 

Had a nice lunch out on the driveway social distancing with other families in the close. Used the tailgate of the car for a table and a couple of folding chairs. Thanked god for my neighbour who has trees lining his drive which gave us lovely shade.

1 minute ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Had a nice lunch out on the driveway social distancing with other families in the close. Used the tailgate of the car for a table and a couple of folding chairs. Thanked god for my neighbour who has trees lining his drive which gave us lovely shade.

It’s actually quite nice listening to the little ones having fun and watching other  adults replenishing their glasses regularly. 

Just now, Canary Wundaboy said:

The combination of having very little need to use or wash my car for the last 7 weeks and a mangy tribe of dirty pigeons who plague the street enjoying their new found freedom and lack of people out getting rid of them means there’s absolutely no way I’d be using any part of my car as a table for food right now!

We we're booked to go to a meeting of the Vera Lynn Appreciation Society.

They sent us a text saying it was definitely happening but no-one knew the venue or the time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11.00a.m.  Our Mayor came to our street and we had a small service (over a PA system) , with the 2 minute silence, and have just had a couple of poems and a sing song (again in the street)  at 3 o'clock whilst raising a glass. 

Got druk on Gin, cursed the Met Office and remembered my late mother in law and father in law, particularly my late father in law who was in the Royal Navy and served on S Class and T Class subs out of Trincomalee, Ceylon (now Sri Lanka) during WW2, lovely bloke with so many stories.........

• Like 1

Not a peep over here.... but then I guess the US didn't really do very much in the European theater anyway.... 

Raised a glass to the memory of my Dad who 75 years ago was a 19 year old in the 13th Parachute Battalion , I believe somewhere near the Baltic Coast . 

He never talked about it and I got fed up asking him as a boy , then he died . I only got his war record for myself a few years ago . I couldn’t have done a fraction of what those men did .

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Not a peep over here.... but then I guess the US didn't really do very much in the European theater anyway.... 

It's very strange here Surfer. Lots of Union Jacks but no recognition of the part played by other countries around the world. I'm half Polish and this is the 75th anniversary of Churchill telling my father that he and 15,000 other Poles should go straight home as they were no longer needed. Those that did were shot on arrival by the Russians. Pardon me for not celebrating. 

I did tell someone recently that more than 60% of the troops that took part in D Day weren't British but I don't think they believed me. The winner always gets to rewrite history but I'm grateful to our American friends. I'm not grateful to the Russians though😂

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Arrived late, all the 'heavy lifting' had already been done, chipped in at the end and then left us a large bill that we eventually repaid in 2006. 😀

6 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

It's very strange here Surfer. Lots of Union Jacks but no recognition of the part played by other countries around the world. I'm half Polish and this is the 75th anniversary of Churchill telling my father that he and 15,000 other Poles should go straight home as they were no longer needed. Those that did were shot on arrival by the Russians. Pardon me for not celebrating. 

I did tell someone recently that more than 60% of the troops that took part in D Day weren't British but I don't think they believed me. The winner always gets to rewrite history but I'm grateful to our American friends. I'm not grateful to the Russians though😂

Had a bbq with my Icelandic cousin........whale meat again!

Edited by Van wink

Street party going on. Pimm's from a lovely French couple and folk talking roughly 6 feet apart....lots of Coronavirus talk! Lots of people seem to have had it.....Which confirms what I've heard today too (senior doctor at London hospital). 

Edited by sonyc

37 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

That’s shameful, I lived with Polish people for 3/4 years and have very happy memories apart from trying beetroot soup.

16 hours ago, Pockthorpe said:

Raised a glass to the memory of my Dad who 75 years ago was a 19 year old in the 13th Parachute Battalion , I believe somewhere near the Baltic Coast . 

He never talked about it and I got fed up asking him as a boy , then he died . I only got his war record for myself a few years ago . I couldn’t have done a fraction of what those men did .

My late father in laws brother was in the Royal Artillery but attached to the parachute regiment, he was part of Operation Market Garden and parachuted into Arnhem, he was shot in the head (by the Yanks who mistook the British paratroopers for Germans) but survived, he was actually packed in ice and evacuated to a military hospital in Ayrshire..........

Edited by Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB
  • Like 2

Nice social distanced street party here in wymondham. Didnt quite release how much rum I had drunk till we (tried) to take the dog for a walk.

13 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

My later father in laws brother was in the Royal Artillery but attached to the parachute regiment, he was part of Operation Market Garden and parachuted into Arnhem, he was shot in the head (by the Yaks who mistook the British paratroopers for Germans) but survived, he was actually packed in ice and evacuated to a military hospital in Ayrshire..........

You may be interested in this I heard this morning. 100 year old survivor of Arnhem, Colonel John Waddy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08cp16p

From about 17.40

• Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Nice social distanced street party here in wymondham. Didnt quite release how much rum I had drunk till we (tried) to take the dog for a walk.

Rum ! Are you an ex sailor? 

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Well, yes, I would very much understand why that would be.

3 hours ago, Surfer said:

Any American will say that they “ saved “ us in WW2, I even had it said to me checking in at an airport in the US. I pointed out that the war started in 1939, not 1941, he didn’t seem to take it very well 😁

Rained most of the day. Had everything planned with a nice barbecue, bit of booze and war time music.

Hope to do it tomorrow.

17 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

We we're booked to go to a meeting of the Vera Lynn Appreciation Society.

They sent us a text saying it was definitely happening but no-one knew the venue or the time.

Always found her a bit of a one hit wonder personally.

Nice socially distanced street party in our close. Resuming again for more shandys. Haven't had a hangover for ages...

Edited by Capt. Pants

4 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Just a quiet toast to the 10m-11m Soviet fighting men and women who died in the war to liberate Europe.

Purple. It was only when I caught a news item today that I realised who many people the Soviets had lost. In addition to your figures a further 16m civilians died which included the death camps etc. Our comparative figs are 453k military and 67k civilians. On VE Day I was only six and was under the impression that it was only us plus a few Yanks who sorted out the Nazis. Of course we had no radio etc. I am as pro-British as anyone, and my father volunteered for the Army, and we had many brave young men. But overall our leaders more or less got it right i.e. objectives v loss of life. To be brutally honest you can perhaps understand why the Soviets were difficult to deal with at the end of the War. Sadly they were, and still are, a very ruthless bunch to live with.