Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

L1 & L2 to be abandoned...

1 minute ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

..according to sources

....whatever our fate is over the coming weeks, just remember that next season Ipswich will be a Division 3 club playing behind closed doors...

No different then 😁

At least the season is saved for them then. It was heading towards obscurity and embarrassment but a false ending like this provides a different closure.

• Haha 1

Appears to be that the deciding factor on promotion and relegation will be PPG (with a closer analysis of home and away matches played)

Surely all 3 Divisions making up the EFL must be treated the same and you cannot possibly have the Championship being treated any differently to L1 & L2.

• Like 3

Interesting to see what happens with relegation. The leaked internal EFL plan showed they intend to promote and not relegate if it goes points per game. If that happens I can’t see how the EFL can demand that the PL relegate and how the F.A can also block it if they allow it in these leagues  

29 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

..according to sources

....whatever our fate is over the coming weeks, just remember that next season Ipswich will be a Division 3 club playing behind closed doors...

What sources? Why no link?

if you have a Twitter account you can read quite a few L1 and L2 club posts and there are a few discussing (Northampton being one for example). In a response to JF above I must confess not reading much yet about relegation, just promotion

13 minutes ago, BigFish said:

What sources? Why no link?

So the Championship wants to cut adrift L1 and L2. It just gets worse. All this bull about the nation pulling together at this time of crisis. Not in football obviously.

2 hours ago, Aggy said:

Why l1 and l2 but not the championship?

Because they won’t admit they are abandoning the championship til the premier gave agreed to play on and have relegation. That’s the tactic. 

And so it begins. This from Peterborough’s owner.

3 points from 2nd place. Best goal difference in our league. 9 games left, 5 at home (with one of best home records in league) and we play 7 games I think against 7 of bottom 11 clubs.  And @EFL & these owners think @theposhofficial will take these alleged decisions about to 
Happen/Get voted on according to the press laying down... not a chance. Prepare for a legal battle of epic proportions & that won't just be from our club, trust me on that.

• Like 1

Hearing in these parts that Coventry will be declared champions of league 1. fair enough I say being 5pts clear with a game in hand.

10 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Oxford are to be promoted under this plan, despite the fact that there are five other teams within a point of them and one of those sides has a game in hand. It's all a mess.

For Wycombe Wanders that's blatantly unfair. Based on PPG they would get 1.7 more points for that game and be promoted. 

5 minutes ago, Surfer said:

For Wycombe Wanders that's blatantly unfair. Based on PPG they would get 1.7 more points for that game and be promoted. 

It's happening because they're doing PPG based on home/away performance. Otherwise Wycombe would obviously take third spot. If I were Wycombe, I'd be mightily hacked off by that decision. I personally think PPG based on all games played is fairer than trying to reinvent the wheel by doing the averages based on games home/away.

2 hours ago, JF said:

And so it begins. This from Peterborough’s owner.

3 points from 2nd place. Best goal difference in our league. 9 games left, 5 at home (with one of best home records in league) and we play 7 games I think against 7 of bottom 11 clubs.  And @EFL & these owners think @theposhofficial will take these alleged decisions about to 
Happen/Get voted on according to the press laying down... not a chance. Prepare for a legal battle of epic proportions & that won't just be from our club, trust me on that.

He’s right though. I fully appreciate that given the likely outcomes we are the first name on the list if someone has to be relegated from the Prem.

But no one will convince me that the likes of Leeds have done anything to deserve the uncontested right to replace us. The chances of them bottling their season if it was completed is just far too likely.

11 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Surely all 3 Divisions making up the EFL must be treated the same and you cannot possibly have the Championship being treated any differently to L1 & L2.

The championship is the feeder league to the premiership. So it totally different  

1 hour ago, Monty13 said:

He’s right though. I fully appreciate that given the likely outcomes we are the first name on the list if someone has to be relegated from the Prem.

But no one will convince me that the likes of Leeds have done anything to deserve the uncontested right to replace us. The chances of them bottling their season if it was completed is just far too likely.

Spot on and this has already gone way beyond farce.

It has been clear for weeks now that there are only two possible outcomes - either the season is completed on the same terms as the games already played (this is now impossible) or the season is null and void. Everything else is b*ll*cks, and that is putting it very politely.

The season is over, the season was over a month ago - what part of that do people not understand?

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, City fan said:

The championship is the feeder league to the premiership. So it totally different  

L1 is the ‘feeder’ league to the championship?

12 hours ago, City fan said:

They are all run by the same body so are you suggesting that we have a different set of rules governing each division ?

14 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

It's happening because they're doing PPG based on home/away performance.

I do sort of see the logic to this, but then if they’re going to start drilling down into more detail then why not go further? As Peterbrough’s owner says, one club might have fixtures exclusively against the bottom half left whereas competitors might have games against their closest rivals in the play off/promotion push.

At least if it was just ppg overall then you aren’t getting too much into the detail. I’d have though the more specific you become, the more likely you are going to lose a court case on some sort of discrimination/bias argument - “if you were going to drill into the detail, why did you decide to stop doing so at a point that made us miss out on promotion when, had you drilled down a bit further, we would have gone up?”