Sign in to follow this  
marinersawan

Grim experiences away

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

I raised my eyebrows when M'Lud said it was his first away game as it was mine as well so it has just got even more spooky.

That is indeed a bit spooky. A winger called Rodney Fern was playing for them and Shilton was in goal. They also had a typical 60's centre forward whose name escapes me. I was only 10 and the crowd seemed huge and noisy to me. Not like Carrow Road at the time. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

My first away game was also Wolves in 1971. A typical induction to days on the road perhaps. An interesting watch though.   

Charlton at Selhurst Park in the late 80's

I know it was only the Full Member's Cup,  or something, but win and we were at Wembley 

We took the lead with a minute or 2 left, but managed to concede 2 goals in  injury time 

League Cup 2nd Leg at Blackpool. As I drove to the ground you could see a massive thunderstorm coming in over the sea. Sure enough, it arrived just before kick off and the game never kicked off.

Won 5 - 0 a week later, but a long way for nothing.  

Thunderstorm did the same at Burnley as well, but that was a Saturday afternoon - can’t remember the date of that one though.

Actual game Fulham 6 - 0.

10 minutes ago, FCC said:

League Cup 2nd Leg at Blackpool. As I drove to the ground you could see a massive thunderstorm coming in over the sea. Sure enough, it arrived just before kick off and the game never kicked off.

Won 5 - 0 a week later, but a long way for nothing.  

Thunderstorm did the same at Burnley as well, but that was a Saturday afternoon - can’t remember the date of that one though.

Actual game Fulham 6 - 0.

In the early 80s I was on a coach that royally fooked up it's journey to a Man Utd away game. Although it was late April, there had been a lot of snow and although we eventually traversed the Pennines, we didn't roll into Manchester until 4.45, thereby missing the game. We lost 1-0 apparently........

10 hours ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

In the early 80s I was on a coach that royally fooked up it's journey to a Man Utd away game. Although it was late April, there had been a lot of snow and although we eventually traversed the Pennines, we didn't roll into Manchester until 4.45, thereby missing the game. We lost 1-0 apparently........

I was at that game. You didn't miss much 

20 hours ago, Mr Gilbert said:

you will have to go some to beat these for miserable away trips only 3 days apart... I seem to recall both our goals were 90th min consolations too

18 December 1996           West Bromwich Albion  A             1–5         7,483     O'Neill

21 December 1996           Port Vale A             1–6         6,278     Fleck

This ^^. Two awful no shows. Mike Walker was manager in his second spell, IIRC.

Anyone else go to the Aldershot league  cup replay in 1984?

It was so foggy that we could barely see the centre circle from the away "end" (despite a  fence, it was possible to walk right around the ground)

We won 4-0, but no one had much idea what was going on, not even Chris Woods. All I remember of our goals at the far end is the players trooping back and kicking off again 

Not so much grim as bloody surreal 

Chris Hughton's first game at Fulham. The team got hammered. I didn't because they ran out of beer at half time. And it was hot. Awful day.

Birmingham 90s away and Leicester away when Norwich brought the ‘firm’. Two 4.0 embarrassing displays but thankfully I left early on both. 

Been to a fair few in my time - Highlights include:

Sheff Weds away at Hillsborough - The first of the two recent 5-1 defeats. Left after 70 mins - by far the earliest I've ever left a game - couldn't take any more.

Crewe away in 1999 - 2-0 up with 8 minutes to play. 2-1 up with 2 minutes to play and we lost 3-2.

Hull away last year was brutal - Hammering rain so bad that you could only use middle lane of motorway as the inside/outside lane were flooded. Stayed late and went straight from work as going home was 25miles in wrong direction... Forgot trainers so had to wear work shoes which got wrecked due to all the puddles etc so had to be replaced... in the ground the wind was swirling the rain round so badly I was actually getting rained on from behind (and I was about half way up the stand).... all for a dire 0-0 where we had one chance and Trybull missed a header from about 6 yards out on an open goal.... pretty much nothing else happened in the entire game. Never in my life seen football played in worse weather conditions than that.

5-0 away at Wolves in the late 90s.

1-1 away at Exeter after fighting 4 hours of bank holiday traffic to get down there and a parking ticket on top. Burgers that were literally grey in the middle and had to be chucked. Grim.

3 hours ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

At least you saw a couple of draws kio 😉 

I've seen plenty more heavy defeats but those couple of draws were as bad as a heavy defeat - Especially Hull - That was by far the worst game of the entire season last year. No quality, awful conditions etc.

Leaving the Millennium Stadium after the play-off final defeat and then wandering past the pi$$ taking and gloating Brum support. Then having to board the coach (it took an age to get out off Cardiff) for the extremely long, tiresome and eerily silent journey back home to Norwich.....Inconsolable......  

Fulham away 6-0 to be relegated was just awful to watch, I wanted to leave at 3-0 but my dad said “at least it can’t get any worse”. 🙄

Losing to Arsenal  a few seasons back was a kick in the teeth as well, we were 1-0 up and they got a shocking penalty decision that the linesman gave from miles away despite the red being on top of it not giving it.