Sign in to follow this  
marinersawan

Grim experiences away

I'm a long way from being well-traveled with us (although I did go to a few places back in the 70s, 80s and 90s, and more recently). In football terms, it can't have got much worse than travelling to Man City in the 70s and 80s. They always seemed to beat us heavily, and they stole John Bond and Kevin Reeves. Any reminiscences from long-suffering City fans on those hard trips?

Yep, agree on Man City. The 6-0 loss was a day to forget.

3-0 at Wolves in the early 80s

Getting thumped at Sunderland 4-1 was grim, although I went a few weeks later for a gritty 0-0 Cup game, to redeem it somewhat

Losing at a poor Cardiff side 1-0 and getting the coach stoned after the game, was a tad unpleasant

West Ham away in the Cup, yes it was a draw but how there wasn’t another Hillsboro I’ll never know, terrifying

Forest away January 1984. A mate of mine was a student in Nottingham and I pitched up at his very late on an evening, and drunk rather too much rather too quickly. Off to the match next day; absolutely freezing and a tad hung-over; we were very quickly on the wrong end of a 3-0 loss. But on the other hand I had another night out in Nottingham afterwards!  

Canaryking re West Ham among the best days out with a rammed away end, great atmosphere, but on the way out, and the Villa Park semi-final, were the only time I have ever worried about getting crushed.

5 hours ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Losing at a poor Cardiff side 1-0 and getting the coach stoned after the game, was a tad unpleasant

I bet training was a giggle with the coach off his head!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Wigan, lost 1.0 away FA cup. Wigan hadn't been in the league that long and city where in the old first division. Absolute sh*te ground 

Edited by City fan
Amend

Reading away around late 2005 early 2006 I think. We lost 4-0 it was absolutely freezing and I’d left the car somewhere near the Majedski and after the game I couldn’t remember where I’d left it. Took me an hour to find it. 

Grimsby Town away in the cup in the early nineties. We lost 3-1, or possibly 3-0, the weather was awful, windy, cold with snow being blown in horizontally from the North Sea. I’d gone up with my mate who is a Grimsby Town fan so spent a long car ride back to London with him in his clapped out Nissan Micra trying to coax some heat out of the heater and trying not to kill him as he spent the whole journey telling me how great they were and how awful we were, the problem being that he had a point!

I think it was the season where we lost to Fulham in that awful last game. In that year I did 7 or possibly 8 away games in London and the South Of England. I think we lost all of them and I seem to recall the aggregate score was something like 35-4. I’ll  have to see if I can work that out properly.

Preston away midweek, lost one-nil to a late sloppy goal from a mistake if I remember.  Home at 3.30am and into work the next day.  Joy! 

Losing 6-1 at Middlesbro yet Fashanu scored the best goal of the game.

6-0 in the FA Cup at Man City.

6-0 at Fulham.

5-0 at the Scum.

7-1 at Blackburn.

Blimey it is not 10am yet and i am getting depressed over this list so i will stop.

Edited by TIL 1010

Took the future wife for a romantic weekend in Lake District back in Oct 92.... we were top of the Premier League and away to second placed Blackburn ..... sadly, not our finest afternoon, we lost 7-1 but I recall the fans singing 'we were top of the league'.... at one point by December though, we were actually 8 points clear of the rest.    Unbelievable Jeff!      No question that was the best team we ever had, played football ahead of its time.   

Was also behind the goal at the Baggies when Cyril Regis scored his goal of the season.    Great strike.   

The wife (a Villa fan) is clearly a bad omen for us... took her to Norwich V Villa (1-5) too!  

First ever away trip - Leicester City August 1969 -  got a kicking before the game when we were ambushed by Leicester fans and we lost 3-0.  Hated Leicester and their fans ever since.

you will have to go some to beat these for miserable away trips only 3 days apart... I seem to recall both our goals were 90th min consolations too

18 December 1996           West Bromwich Albion  A             1–5         7,483     O'Neill

21 December 1996           Port Vale A             1–6         6,278     Fleck

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lord Horn (again) said:

First ever away trip - Leicester City August 1969 -  got a kicking before the game when we were ambushed by Leicester fans and we lost 3-0.  Hated Leicester and their fans ever since.

Yep, it's not so much the losses that I remember, but the treatment given to our fans.......At Watford in the early 80's comes to mind, sitting in a car queing to get out of a multistorey car park and groups of Watford fans going around kicking in the body panels any car that had green and yellow colours in it. Lovely.

Edited by lake district canary

4 hours ago, City fan said:

Wigan, lost 1.0 away FA cup. Wigan hadn't been in the league that long and city where in the old first division. Absolute sh*te ground 

Didn't get to that one, but was at the likes of Yeovil (1980) FA Cup game and also Cambridge's Abbey Stadium in 82. They were crap grounds but, tbh, they were great in equal measures, as away fans, because they were so far removed from some of the souless stadiums that we see today. 

Open ended terraces, have a magic (if it isn't peeing down) all about them, either right on top of the game, like the two I have already mentioned or other old grounds I went to such as The Dell, Burnden Park, Goldstone Ground, Selhurst Park (actually that was sheite), Forest's City Ground, Meadow Lane, Stamford Bridge, Fulham, Luton, Oxford etc etc. They were the days.............

I didn't go to Paulton which must have been great (for us old nostalgic farts, anyway)

• Like 1

Perhaps that 1-0 defeat to Southampton in the FA cup a couple of seasons ago with their injury time winner. I was glad that didn't go to extra time.

I remember a game at Wolves where I believe our first shot after 90 minutes went out for a throw in. 

Almost any match in which we have played in dark green or black shirts. My theory is the players can't pick out their teammates when moving at speed.

• Haha 1

Can't for the life of me remember which game it was but we were stood in the pishing rain and the game was awful. And somebody said 28,952. We all said don't be stupid its more like 9 thousand. No he said 28952. Their ground doesn't hold that many we said. No he said, bricks in that building over there!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5-0 at Brighton was pretty bad. 6-0 at Fulham. 5-0 at Fulham. 4-0 at Reading. 7-0 at Man City. If we're honest, if you follow Norwich away you'll have seen plenty of rubbish. Being 4-0 down at half time to Luton was another particular favourite. Any number of cup defeats, Port Vale on pens, Northampton with Jarv and Hendo up front. Somehow managing to draw 3-3 with Southend after being 3-1 up. Then there are the injury time heartbreakers...

But...BUT...all in all Crawley this season takes some beating. Abysmal journey on cabbage, missed the first half an hour after a combination of traffic and a magical mystery tour, no bar and we managed to contrive to lose 1-0. Thoroughly enjoyable.  

For me, getting thumped doesn't always feel as miserable as a narrow loss in a really important game. 

For that reason, I would say the play off final in 2002 was my grimmest experience not at Carrow Road. I was certain we had reached the promised land when Roberts scored in ET and to lose on pens was much more heartbreaking than getting 7 nilled by a brilliant Man City team (even if we were absolutely dreadful) . 

If we're not counting neutral venues - then Fulham away it has to be. Huge game and we got pumped. The double whammy. 

Edited by HertsCanary93

Losing 7.1 at Blackburn was pretty grim, and it felt a very long way home afterwards.

However, Millwall away in the mid-70s got the adrenaline flowing!  They needed to win to avoid relegation and were 1.0 up for most of the game.  We got an equaliser a few minutes from the end and to say the locals didn’t take it well would be a massive understatement.  Absolute mayhem, and not in a good way.

Blackpool 2 - 0 Norwich, 2009. Comfortably one of the worst away experiences. £50 a ticket to sit in an open temporary stand with it freezing cold and wet watching one of the most abject and gutless displays. I don't think we managed a shot on target all game. 

1 hour ago, Duncan Edwards said:

But...BUT...all in all Crawley this season takes some beating. Abysmal journey on cabbage, missed the first half an hour after a combination of traffic and a magical mystery tour, no bar and we managed to contrive to lose 1-0. Thoroughly enjoyable.  

Not forgetting that Klose got crocked for the season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lord Horn (again) said:

That was my first away game as well! 

23 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

That was my first away game as well! 

I raised my eyebrows when M'Lud said it was his first away game as it was mine as well so it has just got even more spooky.

Fulham 6 Norwich 0, which given how away ticketing is organised now is probably the last away game I will ever attend.

4 hours ago, essex canary said:

I remember a game at Wolves where I believe our first shot after 90 minutes went out for a throw in. 

This game was the worst for me. Heavy defeats, unexpected defeats and even some no shows have some redeeming points but this game....

Jason Shackell and Julien Brellier managed to get sent off too. That sending off being my only memory of Brelliers time with us.

I don't have many happy memories of Wolves away. The 1-0 defeat that took us to the Play-off final being the best. But it's one of the grounds I've been to most. The first time was old molyneux in 1971, my first ever away game. We got stuffed but in my memory we played well but they were too good.

Edited by nutty nigel