Sign in to follow this  
ged in the onion bag

What's the point of posts about football resuming?

I look forward to seeing social distancing on a football pitch. There will be only a set number of players allowed in the penalty area for corners. And no offside?

2 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

I look forward to seeing social distancing on a football pitch. There will be only a set number of players allowed in the penalty area for corners. And no offside?

Itll be like netball,  zoned, no contact,  Pukki at Goal Shooter, EMI at Goal Attack  , Timbo  Krulo at Goal Defence etc 

Itll be like netball,  zoned, no contact,  Pukki at Goal Shooter, EMI at Goal Attack  , Timbo  Krulo at Goal Defence etc 

Have they got the legs for it though, Corky

4 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-pictures-of-packed-aer-lingus-flight-from-belfast-spark-concerns-39181023.html.

If our government can't control flights in and out, there is no chance of us winning the battle.     They are fast asleep!    Useless.

It's crazy in a country where people can barely get out of the house or go anywhere other than for basic needs that this kind of thing is going on.  Tube trains near full, planes near full......people are rightly annoyed that when they are being told to make sacrifices and have their freedoms curtailed that others seem oblivious to it and just carry on as normal. 

Imo ALL passenger flights should be stopped - or only used for passengers who need to fly for emergency work - anything else is non-essential - and the non-distancing aspect is totally unnacceptable. 

• Like 1

Love the netball comparison. Norwich Netball League have also had to suspend our summer competition but social distancing on a netball court more difficult than on a football pitch even with zones!!!  Would be great to see Pukki playing goal shooter and Emi backing him up as Goal Attack.  Tim Krul would have no problem playing goal keeper!  But who would play Centre?  Maybe Todd Cantwell with a suitable Alice band?

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

It's crazy in a country where people can barely get out of the house or go anywhere other than for basic needs that this kind of thing is going on.  Tube trains near full, planes near full......people are rightly annoyed that when they are being told to make sacrifices and have their freedoms curtailed that others seem oblivious to it and just carry on as normal. 

Imo ALL passenger flights should be stopped - or only used for passengers who need to fly for emergency work - anything else is non-essential - and the non-distancing aspect is totally unnacceptable. 

I'm sure that everyone who got on that plane would say that their trip is essential.

Of course the airline could have decided to sell only half of the seats. I guess we know why they sold the lot!

I used to go to a sporty centre once a week to play in a 5 a side footy league......I'd normally (deliberately) get there much earlier than the rest of the other lads.....There was a mature ladies weekly netball practice in the same hall that finished 10 or so minutes before we put the 5 a side goals out....I found the mature ladies netball quite an entertaining viewing sport for the 20+ or so minutes before the mature ladies netball practice finished.....

Mmh yeah....oh yeah........err anyway....What was this thread about again?......

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Have they got the legs for it though, Corky

Emi,  not so sure but Mo Leitner....he loves showing his off.

3 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

I used to go to a sporty centre once a week to play in a 5 a side footy league......I'd normally (deliberately) get there much earlier than the rest of the other lads.....There was a mature ladies weekly netball practice in the same hall that finished 10 or so minutes before we put the 5 a side goals out....I found the mature ladies netball quite an entertaining viewing sport for the 20+ or so minutes before the mature ladies netball practice finished.....

Mmh yeah....oh yeah........err anyway....What was this thread about again?......

I think i know where you mean Mello.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/netball/42552518

If there was any sense, the government(s) would be mandating that airlines physically remove seats. Remove the middle seats and remove every other row of seats. Heaven knows that the taxpayers are fronting hundreds of millions to support them, so it is the least that they could do, and hey, it would also lighten the load. If they need to add an additional flight as a result so be it. 

Edited by Surfer

41 minutes ago, Surfer said:

If there was any sense, the government(s) would be mandating that airlines physically remove seats. Remove the middle seats and remove every other row of seats. Heaven knows that the taxpayers are fronting hundreds of millions to support them, so it is the least that they could do, and hey, it would also lighten the load. If they need to add an additional flight as a result so be it. 

Not much point other than to add to the 'things that are being done  list'

As I am sure that every surface will not be sanitised between each touch

We are now moving towards the herd immunisation period, selective social distancing will no longer work

In fairness, the bbc today report that between 16 and 22 April the number of air passengers coming into the Uk was 99 per cent lower than it was in the same period in 2019. 

The link in OP is more an issue with the airline not following government social distancing guidance.

3 hours ago, Aggy said:

In fairness, the bbc today report that between 16 and 22 April the number of air passengers coming into the Uk was 99 per cent lower than it was in the same period in 2019. 

The link in OP is more an issue with the airline not following government social distancing guidance.

No it’s not, this lot are supposed to be in charge!    If they can’t ensure social distancing on planes what no earth are they doing allowing them to fly this way?    Easy to impose rules on flights or stop flights coming in.    Shambles.   

New Zealand always have been very careful when international flights arrive. And now they do not allow any apart from repatriation. Australia followed suit and now even with low infection, they only allow reciprocal flights from both nations.

It does appear we have failed badly in not closing down flights. After all we are an island and have a natural border.

8 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

No it’s not, this lot are supposed to be in charge!    If they can’t ensure social distancing on planes what no earth are they doing allowing them to fly this way?    Easy to impose rules on flights or stop flights coming in.    Shambles.   

Well they’ve stopped 99 per cent of flights according to the article. If there is essential work that requires a flight from n.ireland to England then why should it be stopped?

Some people down my road had a little gathering in their back garden last weekend - is that the government’s fault? The government isn’t supposed to be in control to the extent that it has to legislate for literally every little thing. If everyone knows the airline shouldn’t have been cramming people in like that, then suggests to me the airline knew full well what it shouldn’t be doing and decided to do it anyway.

Listened to a couple of interviews with passengers on this flight. They were amazed and shocked how full the plane was. The reality is at least 1 person on it will now suffer from COVID-19. Probally fatally.

49 minutes ago, Aggy said:

Well they’ve stopped 99 per cent of flights according to the article. If there is essential work that requires a flight from n.ireland to England then why should it be stopped?

Some people down my road had a little gathering in their back garden last weekend - is that the government’s fault? The government isn’t supposed to be in control to the extent that it has to legislate for literally every little thing. If everyone knows the airline shouldn’t have been cramming people in like that, then suggests to me the airline knew full well what it shouldn’t be doing and decided to do it anyway.

You seriously trying to justify this?     This government have been totally asleep, offered hardly any proper support except financial, have been completely un-inspirational where leadership is concerned.    The people have helped the NHS, not this lot who are supposed to!  If other countries like Australia and New Zealand can put controls on flights then so should we?  To deny their incompetence is just silly. 

Little gatherings are significantly less 'official', no paperwork required there so a very stupid analogy to use.  But the government could stop it straight away.   Ban gatherings officially and impose huge fines on the knobbers....   If they did, we might come through this sooner, less deaths too.     

If politics did transfers like football, oh for us signing that New Zealand Prime Minister!   She is a proper inspirational leader and with morals and values too!

Edited by ged in the onion bag
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Aggy said:

To be fair the government haven't stopped anything, The airlines have just stopped flying due to lack of demand and the fact people in the UK are (generally) abiding by the lockdown and people in the rest oif Europe have been similarly banned from any non essential travel.

I have been shocked for some time at the lack of control at airports. the governments reasoning that as we already have high infection levels it wasn't felt that it makes a significant difference has always seemed like nonsense to me given that this is a virus that can spread exponentially, just a few people coming in now infected can lead to several hundred or thousand a couple of weeks later. As we emerge from the lockdown, significant control over who is coming in to the country, testing at airports and mandatory quarantine for all arrivals must surely be part of the strategy and needs to be put in place now in readiness.

3 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

You seriously trying to justify this?     This government have been totally asleep, offered hardly any proper support except financial, have been completely un-inspirational where leadership is concerned.    The people have helped the NHS, not this lot who are supposed to!  If other countries like Australia and New Zealand can put controls on flights then so should we?  To deny their incompetence is just silly. 

Little gatherings are significantly less 'official', no paperwork required there so a very stupid analogy to use.  But the government could stop it straight away.   Ban gatherings officially and impose huge fines on the knobbers....   If they did, we might come through this sooner, less deaths too.     

If politics did transfers like football, oh for us signing that New Zealand Prime Minister!   She is a proper inspirational leader and with morals and values too!

What’s all that got to do with an airline letting too many people onto one of their planes?

3 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

To be fair the government haven't stopped anything, The airlines have just stopped flying due to lack of demand and the fact people in the UK are (generally) abiding by the lockdown and people in the rest oif Europe have been similarly banned from any non essential travel.

I have been shocked for some time at the lack of control at airports. the governments reasoning that as we already have high infection levels it wasn't felt that it makes a significant difference has always seemed like nonsense to me given that this is a virus that can spread exponentially, just a few people coming in now infected can lead to several hundred or thousand a couple of weeks later. As we emerge from the lockdown, significant control over who is coming in to the country, testing at airports and mandatory quarantine for all arrivals must surely be part of the strategy and needs to be put in place now in readiness.

Well the government has introduced legislation that makes it impossible for me to go and get on a plane if I fancy a holiday - that’s not one of the reasons I’m permitted to be out of my house. I understand people who arrive in the UK for non-essential purposes can be turned back. Other than wide ranging legislation that would have taken probably years to draft and pass through parliament which deals with literally every scenario that any person might find themselves in, how do you propose the government dealt with it better? If they had put something in place for airports, you could point to ferry terminals, train stations, or domestically tube stations, or buses, or taxis, Uber, shops (which have done most of their social distancing through their own choices not because of government legislation forcing them to do things a certain way).

It simply isn’t possible for the government to have been able to cover everything off in the space of a couple of weeks. Whether they have expressly stopped air travel or not, the measures they have taken mean the large majority of the population would be breaking the law if they go to an airport and the number of air passengers arriving in the Uk has reduced by 99 per cent compared to the numbers from last year.

As for the future, how do we know they aren’t already planning those things you’ve mentioned? They possibly aren’t, but I’m not going to get worked up about it until we know whether they are or not. 

I think we might be able to get her soon. She has a tenuous coalition in NZ and in fact the Labour Party wasn't any where near the majority, at least 10 seats behind National.

Paradoxically, the majority of the people of NZ don't like her but the rest of the world admires her.

1 hour ago, Aggy said:

Well the government has introduced legislation that makes it impossible for me to go and get on a plane if I fancy a holiday - that’s not one of the reasons I’m permitted to be out of my house. I understand people who arrive in the UK for non-essential purposes can be turned back. Other than wide ranging legislation that would have taken probably years to draft and pass through parliament which deals with literally every scenario that any person might find themselves in, how do you propose the government dealt with it better? If they had put something in place for airports, you could point to ferry terminals, train stations, or domestically tube stations, or buses, or taxis, Uber, shops (which have done most of their social distancing through their own choices not because of government legislation forcing them to do things a certain way).

It simply isn’t possible for the government to have been able to cover everything off in the space of a couple of weeks. Whether they have expressly stopped air travel or not, the measures they have taken mean the large majority of the population would be breaking the law if they go to an airport and the number of air passengers arriving in the Uk has reduced by 99 per cent compared to the numbers from last year.

As for the future, how do we know they aren’t already planning those things you’ve mentioned? They possibly aren’t, but I’m not going to get worked up about it until we know whether they are or not. 

It wasn't a couple of weeks. They should have closed all airports and ports to arrivals other than repatriations and/or essential travel. They should have introduced testing and mandatory periods of quarantine for all arrivals from much earlier in the outbreak. They had several weeks to plan for this. other countries managed it. That is what they need to do when we come out of lockdown otherwise much of what we have all done by staying at home for 7 weeks will be rendered pointless. 

8 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

It wasn't a couple of weeks. They should have closed all airports and ports to arrivals other than repatriations and/or essential travel. They should have introduced testing and mandatory periods of quarantine for all arrivals from much earlier in the outbreak. They had several weeks to plan for this. other countries managed it. That is what they need to do when we come out of lockdown otherwise much of what we have all done by staying at home for 7 weeks will be rendered pointless. 

When they did it is a different point to what they did. The photo at the start of this thread was taken a few days ago. The thread was about the government being at blame because a plane a few days ago was full. It wasn’t a thread about whether the government should/could have done more earlier.