Sign in to follow this  
Flick Fleck

Ceasefire!

I have just read through the whole of the two Dicky/Squitty/MadDan threads and have been struck by an obvious comparison.

Trying to maintain peace and respectability on these boards is about as difficult as trying to broker a ceasefire agreement was in Northern Island for over 20 years.

Shall we cast 1st Wiz as Iain Paisley?  Or Yankee Canary as David Trimble?  If so, then Dicky could be Gerry Adams!

Come on you lot.  I thought that failing to secure a lasting peace in Northern Ireland was just plain silly; and I think that threads like the Dicky/Squitty ones are just as silly now.

I think you lot should lay down your arms and stop thinking about how you are going to kneecap each other.  Anyone else agree it''s time for the ceasefire?

[quote user="Flick Fleck"]

I have just read through the whole of the two Dicky/Squitty/MadDan threads and have been struck by an obvious comparison.

Trying to maintain peace and respectability on these boards is about as difficult as trying to broker a ceasefire agreement was in Northern Island for over 20 years.

Shall we cast 1st Wiz as Iain Paisley?  Or Yankee Canary as David Trimble?  If so, then Dicky could be Gerry Adams!

Come on you lot.  I thought that failing to secure a lasting peace in Northern Ireland was just plain silly; and I think that threads like the Dicky/Squitty ones are just as silly now.

I think you lot should lay down your arms and stop thinking about how you are going to kneecap each other.  Anyone else agree it''s time for the ceasefire?

[/quote]

You have a  point, and I would quite happily agree to any cease fire Flick Fleck, but I will not be threatened into making apologies when I see no cause to by anyone!.

I''m afraid you''re wasting your time, FlickFleck.There have been numerous requests, from people who''d prefer to stick to football discussion, for the personal insults and attacks to stop. Unfortunately your Northern Ireland analogy is too apt - two groups of people, ostensibly followers of the same creed, at loggerheads over a difference of interpretation in one area of their faith!I hate censorship, but maybe if sufficient people call for action the mods might be allowed to issue warnings to the worst offenders. After all, the message board does have an area where people can talk about things unrelated to football! Far too many posts are now name-calling, or merely antagonistic, nothing to do with NCFC - it''s not as if there are new statements being made, just reiterations of entrenched positions. Surely any post which doesn''t actually address the topic being debated could be redirected to a new ''Playground Forum'', complete with cyber-mud for the protagonists to sling at each other and emoticons featuring toys being slung out of prams!If the rot isn''t stopped, they''ll end up with exactly that scenario on the main forum page, as all moderate users turn their backs and look for somewhere else to hold a normal discussion (plenty appear to have left already - are you out there Vicar in Green and Yellow?).

I would agree it should be time for a ceasefire and to realise that we all want the best for our club. Everybody has an opinion and should be able to express it without fear of being drawn into this rabid polarisation that obstructs any clear assessment of our situation. If my Gran was still fit and active, she''d tell us that "we''re all as bad as each other" and would bang our heads together. And you know what, I think she''d be right! We all have an opinion and nobody has a monopoly on the "truth" of the situation so lets all be a little more respectful of each others views. [:)]   

[quote user="macdougall''s perm"]I would agree it should be time for a ceasefire and to realise that we all want the best for our club. Everybody has an opinion and should be able to express it without fear of being drawn into this rabid polarisation that obstructs any clear assessment of our situation. If my Gran was still fit and active, she''d tell us that "we''re all as bad as each other" and would bang our heads together. And you know what, I think she''d be right! We all have an opinion and nobody has a monopoly on the "truth" of the situation so lets all be a little more respectful of each others views. [:)]   

Listern carefully, I will say this only once.

Every time I post on here, I recieve rabid replies, and I wouldn''t want it any other way.

What you advocate is blandness, every so polite PC apathy. This can be obtained elsewhere, do you really want that?.

This is a message board, not a vicar''s tea party, sorry Vicar!.

I was actually advocating constructive discussion rather than the automatic gainsaying of whatever the other person has to say. But if thats how you want it - "every so polite PC apathy"? - learn to string a proper sentence together you insane pensioner! - is that un-PC enough for you? [;)]

Yep! I am trying to organise a football match between the warring factions......Just require a neutral/no man''s land venue.Unfortunately, the earliest available free slot I''ve been quoted - is December 25th 2006!

So until then, blow the whistle and keep going over the top, continue the sniping and bombarding away at each other to gain a few paltry yards.....and: "Pack up yer troubles and yer ole kit bag and SMILE, SMILE, SMILE! OTBC ;~) Just about to have ''tiffin'' so "toodle pip."

Mello the halfwit riff raff binner, aged 6 and three quarters. (but not yet university edjumickated)

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

Listern carefully, I will say this only once.

Every time I post on here, I recieve rabid replies, and I wouldn''t want it any other way.

What you advocate is blandness, every so polite PC apathy. This can be obtained elsewhere, do you really want that?.

This is a message board, not a vicar''s tea party, sorry Vicar!.

[/quote]I don''t want to restrict your rabid-reply count Wiz (I''ve assisted you with a couple myself!), it''s the pathetic one, or two, line snipes, the forum equivalent of flicking the bird, that needs curbing.This ''Worthy Outers are Binners!'' , or '' KTFs are morons who can''t see what''s wrong'' slagging match isn''t really much of a response when the old troll has dangled a nice, meaty provocative thread in front of us, is it? Surely you''d prefer a more considered insult, a bit of originality that winds you up but makes you smile despite yourself?''Rude Old''  manages it, and Mello with his ''Keep The Filth'', it''s more the relentless Squit v Rantin one line barbs that fill up page after page and deter you from reading further.Stir the old cauldron and read the future for us - do we keep our identity, or morph into another WOTB? We don''t need two boards like that (although we probably need the original!)

The old Wiz has gone to recharge his wand for a fortnight, so things will die down his end, its the other privateers you should worry about now FB, if I may make bold with your name.

Well, as 2 of my humourless inane drivel pieces have failed to appear on the message board......(They weren''t even nasty or derogatory!) Honest!......So I''ll have another go.......

Anyway, yes I do concur that it is certainly time to announce a ceasefire, and therefore to sensibly call a halt to all the immature and infantile postings.

I''ve been busy behind the scenes, (with Tommy and Jerry) attempting to organise a football match between the "Warring Factions!". I did have an initial problem finding a suitable neutral venue, or a ''no man''s land'' for the contest, eventually deciding on Lowestoft beach. Yes I know it''s in ''Soofolk'' - but, there are more Norwich fan''s there, than Binbag followers.....OK! 

Unfortunately, the earliest available vacancy for the use of the ''no man''s land'', is the 25th of December 2006! So, in the meantime, when the whistle blows: "Over the top Boy''s!" and carry on sniping and bombarding each other to gain those few precious yards! as ''Delia Kitchen....er says: YOUR CLUB NEEDS YOU! "Pack up yer troubles an'' yer ole kit bag an'' SMILE, SMILE, SMILE!"

Mello, the ramblin'' riff raff half witted club hatin'' closet silly binner! Aged 6 an'' three quarters! ;~)

I would like to see posts restricted to 150 words because I hate rambling posts; particularly when written in that awful stunted and clipped ''catcher in the rye'' american style.

If you have valid points then they can be succinct and with no need to ramble.

I often only speed read certain essays or look for the punchlines.

Wizard makes punchy tabloit type posts, alright they are intellectually light but are at least easy to digest.

Rant is generally sharp, despite  the venom and surprisingly lacking in repetition.

I only want to give a couple of examples as I am not an over opinionated analyst like Septic who is obviously a fully paid up member of the ''right to roam'' or Ramblers Association.

Fat Barman poured

There have been numerous requests, from people who''d prefer to stick to football discussion, for the personal insults and attacks to stop. Unfortunately your Northern Ireland analogy is too apt - two groups of people, ostensibly followers of the same creed, at loggerheads over a difference of interpretation in one area of their faith!

I hate censorship, but maybe if sufficient people call for action the mods might be allowed to issue warnings to the worst offenders. After all, the message board does have an area where people can talk about things unrelated to football! Far too many posts are now name-calling, or merely antagonistic, nothing to do with NCFC - it''s not as if there are new statements being made, just reiterations of entrenched positions. Surely any post which doesn''t actually address the topic being debated could be redirected to a new ''Playground Forum'', complete with cyber-mud for the protagonists to sling at each other and emoticons featuring toys being slung out of prams!

If the rot isn''t stopped, they''ll end up with exactly that scenario on the main forum page, as all moderate users turn their backs and look for somewhere else to hold a normal discussion (plenty appear to have left already - are you out there Vicar in Green and Yellow?).

So what are you calling it then FBS ''The Crap Tuesday Agreement?''

Rudolph:  ''Catcher in the Rye''?  Now there''s a good book.  And bravo to the ramblers!  This land is our land.  Just like this message board is ours, and it''s up to us what we make of it.  So we may as well make it a good place to be, eh?

[quote user="Rudolph Hucker"]

I would like to see posts restricted to 150 words because I hate rambling posts; particularly when written in that awful stunted and clipped ''catcher in the rye'' american style.

If you have valid points then they can be succinct and with no need to ramble.

I often only speed read certain essays or look for the punchlines.

Wizard makes punchy tabloit type posts, alright they are intellectually light but are at least easy to digest.

Rant is generally sharp, despite  the venom and surprisingly lacking in repetition.

I only want to give a couple of examples as I am not an over opinionated analyst like Septic who is obviously a fully paid up member of the ''right to roam'' or Ramblers Association.

[/quote]

Totally agree! I very seldom read the really long posts as there''s just to much to wade through!