Sign in to follow this  
sonyc

Dave Greenfield RIP (Stranglers keyboardist)

Really sad to hear of his death today (Coronavirus with heart complications). His keyboards on Golden Brown are so well known but he was such a big part of the Stranglers' output. Only 71 years of age. 

Edited by sonyc

Keyboards were out when the Stranglers made it and it was because of his keyboards and Jean Jacques bass that they could bridge the gap between serious music and musicians and punk and new wave.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Keyboards were out when the Stranglers made it and it was because of his keyboards and Jean Jacques bass that they could bridge the gap between serious music and musicians and punk and new wave.

Aye, bollix to genres,  the Stranglers conversation on here a while back was excellent. 

' Liberation for Women, that's what I preach. '

Rattus is such a good album, saw the Stranglers a number of times in the 70s and early 80s. I was playing No More Heroes the other day, there’s one track in particular you couldn’t play in public but I can’t get it out of my head ! 😁

Fortunate as a teenager to see the original 'Strangler's' line up with Hugh Cornwell many years ago.....I've seen them since quite a few times at the UEA and they were always a musical treat....RIP Dave Greenfield....'Walk On By'......

Sad, end of an era. I saw the Stranglers at the Tower complex in Yarmouth 1978. Great night. 

• Like 1

The Stranglers still have a huge fanbase and are still excellent live. I've seen them many times locally which includes an annual pilgrimage to the Cambridge Corn Exchange. Most strange venue was the Holt Festival, in the woods at Gresham School. They were totally brilliant that night, even Mrs Pants had to admit.

RIP, great band, great live shows, and still pretty good now with an adjusted line up.

3 hours ago, City fan said:

Sad, end of an era. I saw the Stranglers at the Tower complex in Yarmouth 1978. Great night. 

Yep me too. Great night SKIDS supporting.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, City fan said:

I was there... Remember the bouncers trying to Chuck people down the stairs afterwards... Was interesting going to "punk" gigs then...

• Like 2

I missed out on the punk rock explosion (thanks to Capital Radio, truly "in tune with nothing") so I didn't get into punk and start buying records until 1979. There was a great record shop in Watford, Harum Records, which sold loads of the punk classics so I bought all the Stranglers and Clash singles they had. They both remain among my favourite bands of all time.

This ticket is from the first time I saw The Stranglers-my second gig, 28th January 1982 at Hemel Pavilion. Golden Brown was high in the charts and there were a lot of people dressed in very unusual clothes for a punk gig-suits and posh frocks!

Golden Brown was played quite early but was then followed by Down In The Sewer-the chalk and cheese of Stranglers tracks! By the end of the song, the suits and frocks had left.

I have seen them quite a few times over the years, the last time was in2017 when they were on the British Summer Time festival headlined by Green Day. They were on the second stage so I wandered over to see them and was impressed by the performance-the songs still sounded great and the crowd loved them-no surprise that they were on the second stage, they would have blown the headliners away.

RIP Dave, a sad way to go.

Edited by Mr Angry
Oops, photo missing
  • Like 1