Sign in to follow this  
pete

13 for 6 against 1 dissenter

Just now, sonyc said:

And Brighton now coming under criticism for these infections... from Liyiylyuyuyu

15 minutes ago, sonyc said:

And Brighton now coming under criticism for these infections... from Liverpool fans of course.

You can see how polarising all this is.

ooo verpool fans of course.

Not just Liverpool fans but Leeds ones as well. Astounding that these people believe that clubs would make this up or that they would have their players deliberately infected.

Well, that does not surprise me in the least. Yet, it angers me a that people might tweet about infections which could then become serious. It is cynical and callous imo....such cold heartedness ....I'm not surprised really. I hope our team stay free of it all.

23 minutes ago, sonyc said:

And Brighton now coming under criticism for these infections... from Liverpool fans of course.

And between sports as this interesting piece from the Racing Post reports what's happened in France

French racing will resume on Monday despite last-ditch lobbying from discontented figures from the world of football to get the government to reconsider allowing the action to go ahead.

Football — like all team sports in France — is banned until September under France’s plans to ease the coronavirus lockdown, but racing will restart with three fixtures taking place at Longchamp, Compiegne and Toulouse after plans submitted and agreed on this week by officials were cleared by president Emmanuel Macron.

The clearance followed intense negotiations on Friday and, speaking on Saturday, France Galop president Edouard de Rothschild said: "We were absolutely crystal clear about the restrictions we will be putting in place, so on the technical level we had a very good case. 

"However, an issue then arose about French football not restarting at the same time racing was set to resume, albeit behind closed doors. There was some lobbying and, yes, people compared football and racing, saying: 'Why are they allowed to restart when we in football are not?'

"That created an issue at the highest political level but the president and prime minister ultimately made the positive and favourable decision on Friday evening."

On Friday night, de Rothschild had personally thanked Macron, prime minister Edouard Philippe and the minister of agriculture, as well as two key intermediaries, former presidential candidate Francois Bayrou and the mayor of Deauville, Philippe Augier, in a late-night message on Twitter.

He said: "This was a race I wanted to win more than any other. The return to racing has been accepted. Now let us show them that they were right!"

Rumours of a late challenge to the French government's decision to allow a Monday resumption from an unnamed quarter had begun to circulate during Friday, leading France Galop and its trotting counterparts to issue a joint statement that evening, acknowledging that they had been involved in discussions with the state to ensure that Monday's meetings at Longchamp, Compiegne and Toulouse can all proceed at their intended venues.  

Edited by Making Plans

So considering the timeline the PM just outlined, surely project restart isn’t possible?

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

So considering the timeline the PM just outlined, surely project restart isn’t possible?

Unless further details emerge tomorrow then it is looking extremely unlikely. And even if it does restart it could be curtailed at a moments notice. The timelines as they stand are quite proactive but just the wrong time for the EPL.

Draw a line under this season, admit defeat, and begin next season in whatever form when the metrics are hit and it is safe and practical to do so.

• Like 4

Apparently there is a 50 page document tomorrow so things will be clearer then. But on what was said tonight I can’t see any way football comes back until late June/July as when it’s announced it can come back it will have to be within a package of other restrictions that are being lifted 

35 minutes ago, sonyc said:

No clear guidance indicated tonight from the PM. And this means that the decision looks as difficult as ever....

Premier League begins crunch talks with no help from Boris Johnson

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/may/10/premier-league-crunch-talks-no-help-boris-johnson?

They need to take responsibility and knock it on the head. Quite clearly the restart cannot complete within the given timeframe. Pointless to continue with the illusion.

Concentrate on the real problem of when and how to start next season.

• Like 3

Some idiot reporter from ESPN has just said that the bottom clubs have been obstructing the resumption at every opportunity.

First of all, you would expect them to. Secondly when the EPL is called null and void will Liverpool, Manure etc be obstructive if they take legal action?

I really do despise the EPL and everything about it. It isn't meant for a club like ours.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ricardo said:

They need to take responsibility and knock it on the head. Quite clearly the restart cannot complete within the given timeframe. Pointless to continue with the illusion.

Concentrate on the real problem of when and how to start next season.

I agree strongly. I didn't expect guidance from the PM this evening on this matter. There are many other issues at the top of the sgrnda. And, they absolutely have to make a decision. If they actually have public health in mind, the welfare of their players etc then it would be a very simple solution but it isn't. 

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Some idiot reporter from ESPN has just said that the bottom clubs have been obstructing the resumption at every opportunity.

First of all, you would expect them to. Secondly when the EPL is called null and void will Liverpool, Manure etc be obstructive if they take legal action?

I really do despise the EPL and everything about it. It isn't meant for a club like ours.

Total b*llocks. If it is just the bottom clubs then why has a vote to resume never been taken?

3 hours ago, Monty13 said:

Well in won't restart by the end of June and it's unlikely to restart in July.

Therefore it won't restart at all.

Time for Plan F, or is it Plan G next. I've lost count.

I've come to accept that this will happen and relegation will be a part of it.

Best case we can hope for is that the bizarre circumstances work in our favour and we find some late form. 

Can't deny I'm close to giving up on football after all of this though.

If the football season finishes and we get relegated I can accept that.

I can't really accept the football season being seen as so important it has to finish despite the dangers and concerns around it, and the fact fans won't be able to enjoy it at the ground.

I presume tackles won't be allowed due to social distancing guidelines? At least we have some technical players who might enjoy that.

26 minutes ago, JF said:

Read it but don't believe it.

After everything that was said or not said yesterday there is no way that they will be allowing clubs to train properly in the next month as the social distancing measures are still in place and will remain so for quite some time. 

• Like 2

The fact that the statements have now explicitly mentioned a scenario wherein the season doesn't get completed ties any uncertainty in our position up IMO.

It's a shame as with our run-in, and tricky fixtures for others in and around the bottom of the league, I did still have a little feeling we might make a late charge and pull off the unlikely. With all the disruption however I think we'll eek out enough fixtures to get Liverpool their title amidst a surge in covid cases, call time on the season and go to PPG. 

I had more fun last season anyway.

So after all the criticism the bottom 6 clubs have received about neutral venues it comes down to money again...

So after all the criticism the bottom 6 clubs have received about neutral venues it comes down to money again...

I do hope NCFC fights this tooth and nail. Presumably EPL shareholders now vote to accept the relegation proposal?

Couldn't make it up could you. I thought it was the evil "rebel 6" who were sinking the neutral grounds proposal?

As for Greg Clarke he can f**k right off. 

31 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I do hope NCFC fights this tooth and nail. Presumably EPL shareholders now vote to accept the relegation proposal?

I'm not sure 14 clubs will vote for PPG though either.

Frustrating because the govt ultimately will prevent the season from restarting so any votes whether to accept neutral grounds are pointless. Shame they weren't more concise in their announcement last night!

It was always going to be a pervese bit of good fortune that a pandemic would ensure our Premier League survival but to be voted out by other clubs is disappointing. 

Oh well, it's off to court we go.

What was the outcome in terms of timescales does anyone know? Will there be a vote on PPG next in the context of being unable to complete?

21 hours ago, Monty13 said:

Didn't mean to quote you Monty.

It's always been about money. Even before the virus it seemed like half the discussions on here were about money. Why would the virus change that? Or even, how could it?

Edited by nutty nigel

3 minutes ago, sonyc said:

What was the outcome in terms of timescales does anyone know? Will there be a vote on PPG next in the context of being unable to complete?

There is to be another meeting next week after the PL have held talks with the government and then presumably after that a vote on finishing at neutral grounds if police/government won’t move on it. If that fails to go through then that’s the season done and the only job left is how it concludes