Sign in to follow this  
pete

13 for 6 against 1 dissenter

7 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

So he wants teams to be relegated from the Premier League and into an abyss where there's no football? Good luck with that one. All three relegated teams would go bust.

Hard to tell if he was questioning the whole EFL or League 1&2 but I think it’s likely that it’s an attempt to get more money coming through from the PL

They are not even really attempting to finish it are they? We are told by the PL after they have spoken to the government that the only way it’s concluded is if it’s done on a small number of neutral grounds. Parry is carrying on with the schedule home and away

Dean smith saying that Aston Villa have one player with Asthma and one player who lives with a family member who is in remission. Highly likely either will be available to him this season now 

This is going to happen and we need to get used to the idea. Personally, I choose not to watch it and will be cancelling my Sky Sports and BT Sports subscriptions. I will go back to Carrow Road to watch my team when they let me, whatever league we are in, but until then I have no interest.

• Like 2

Norwich City must take the moral high ground on this and refuse to play in Project Restart for the health of all players and associated staff.  This saga is getting ridiculous I am sure many players will find this acceptable as PS putting health before money.  Surprising that.

Somebody shoves a mike under someones nose and hopes for a dramatic rant. And no-one is playing ball. At least DF broadcast his true feelings but he is a voice in the wilderness. Pity there isn't a Ferguson or Clough type around to say what they think. Now we have the Hodgsons who prattle on but don't really give any indication.

Fair enough, I expect they have been told by the lawyers not to say anything but if that is what it is coming to when contracts and legalities mean more than the game, then why are we bothering?

Edited by keelansgrandad

Hodgson may not be able to turn up as yet if the government instructs over 70s to stay in 

Are the EFL and Parry for real. They want relegation from the PL but not from their own leagues 

8 minutes ago, JF said:

Are the EFL and Parry for real. They want relegation from the PL but not from their own leagues 

I just don't see how the EFL or any of their clubs would have a case if they do not complete their own season. And I don;t think they have any intention of completing their own season, they are just waiting for the premier league to confirm they are re-starting and then will finish their season based on PPG.

I would be interested to read the "tripartite" agreement but would be very surprised if it covered this situation and provided that promotion has to take place where a season is not fully completed.

I also think that if the prem can;t re-start and there was a vote to try and relegate the bottom three on the basis of current standings or PPG then the clubs relegated would have a much stronger legal case than any EFL club denied promotion on the basis of an incomplete season. 

• Like 1

My thinking and in effect, my summary of what the latest thinking is as follows: 

The EPL needs to end, with resultant positions established (champion, European places, relegation) and these will be effected behind closed doors

They then want extra funding to cascade down the leagues from the conclusion of the EPL, a rescue package

The EFL has virtually no chance of completing throughout the leagues and Parry knows that

They expect promotion from the Championship to go ahead to replace the 3 coming down. And to enable this, they wish to come up with some kind of artificial way of determining that (PPG for example)

Do others think this is a fair summary or are there other facets to this?

Edited by sonyc

3 minutes ago, sonyc said:

My thinking and in effect, my summary of what the latest thinking is as follows: 

The EPL needs to end, with resultant positions established (champion, European places, relegation) and these will be effected behind closed doors

They then want extra funding to cascade down the leagues from the conclusion of the EPL, a rescue package

The EFL has virtually no chance of completing throughout the leagues and Parry knows that

They expect promotion from the Championship to go ahead to replace the 3 coming down. And to enable this, they wish to come up with some kind of artificial way of determining that (PPG for example)

Basically it’s taking the ****! 

5 minutes ago, sonyc said:

I may well have missed stuff, but most of the talk I have seen of EPL money being used to save the rest of the pyramid has come from the EFL! And I think there are some differences  between what is being said, which is laying out bargaining positions, and what might be settled for.

Parry, for example, will care more about clubs getting promoted from the Championship and Leagues One and Two than about  whether there is also relegation. Ditto if it comes to a crunch, the EPL will care more about sorting out the top of the table than the bottom.

1 minute ago, PurpleCanary said:

I may well have missed stuff, but most of the talk I have seen of EPL money being used to save the rest of the pyramid has come from the EFL! And I think there are some differences  between what is being said, which is laying out bargaining positions, and what might be settled for.

Parry, for example, will care more about clubs getting promoted from the Championship and Leagues One and Two than about  whether there is also relegation. Ditto if it comes to a crunch, the EPL will care more about sorting out the top of the table than the bottom.

Yes I agree, it's all been about the EFL view. Certainly it's been laying out their position (Parry has been lobbied hard). And hence we read about the legal threat today so clearly. I just wanted (for my own mind) to get a summary of the position. To me, Parry seems to be most representating the needs of Leeds and WBA in the above summary than anything else!

From tonight’s government conference.

The Mirror asks about sport starting again in the UK and whether we could see football games back in June.

Raab replies: "I think it would lift the spirit of the nation."

He says the government "has had constructive meetings with sports bodies" for athletes to resume training when safe to do so.

He says the culture secretary is looking at plans to hold sports behind closed doors.

But they can only do it when the scientific advice says it is safe.

6 hours ago, sgncfc said:

This is going to happen and we need to get used to the idea. Personally, I choose not to watch it and will be cancelling my Sky Sports and BT Sports subscriptions. I will go back to Carrow Road to watch my team when they let me, whatever league we are in, but until then I have no interest.

It might start SG but it won't finish. Perhaps sport will return in conjunction with a relaxation of lockdown rules but I would bet it will be accompanied by a 2nd wave of the virus across the UK, certainly England. 

Depending on how the club deals with the restart will determine if I take my season ticket refund. If they do what is morally right; boycott it, then they can keep my ST money and spend it on a good lawyer. If they go cap in hand to the EPL and play this ridiculous charade then I will have my money back.

2 hours ago, JF said:

From tonight’s government conference.

The Mirror asks about sport starting again in the UK and whether we could see football games back in June.

Raab replies: "I think it would lift the spirit of the nation."

He says the government "has had constructive meetings with sports bodies" for athletes to resume training when safe to do so.

He says the culture secretary is looking at plans to hold sports behind closed doors.

But they can only do it when the scientific advice says it is safe.

It begs the question of how teams playing behind closed doors will "lift the spirit of the nation"?

Perhaps in the footballing half of Liverpool, 10% of Birmingham and some deprived districts in Leeds. 

With the vast majority of matches being totally meaningless, especially once the key issues are decided, played at testimonial match pace between under-23 teams with undoubtedly some very strange results. Still, as long as the integrity of the game is upheld. 

Having read the above article.  The only way to prevent Project Start from starting is the medical objections to its safety.  It just isn't safe for football to resume I'm amazed we have not heard from club doctors and their concerns.  Farke has come out and said he couldn't condone returning unless it was safe.  Refusing to play on health grounds is an irrefutable reason for abandoning this ridiculous project.

If Project Restart does commence relegation an absolute certainty not just highly probable if the Pl is intent on relegating 3 clubs.  If so show some integrity and do not put our players in danger and just take relegation on the chin.  And as PL has already paid up refuse to pat any rebate.  If this prevents City from ever playing PL again it would be a price worth paying to get out of the clutches of this money grabbing and some may say corrupt association.    

16 minutes ago, pete said:

Having read the above article.  The only way to prevent Project Start from starting is the medical objections to its safety.  It just isn't safe for football to resume I'm amazed we have not heard from club doctors and their concerns.  Farke has come out and said he couldn't condone returning unless it was safe.  Refusing to play on health grounds is an irrefutable reason for abandoning this ridiculous project.

If Project Restart does commence relegation an absolute certainty not just highly probable if the Pl is intent on relegating 3 clubs.  If so show some integrity and do not put our players in danger and just take relegation on the chin.  And as PL has already paid up refuse to pat any rebate.  If this prevents City from ever playing PL again it would be a price worth paying to get out of the clutches of this money grabbing and some may say corrupt association.    

Would you say the same if you were a Villa or Bournemouth fan? If so, you are basically saying that we should accept the league positions as they are now?

48 minutes ago, pete said:

This came out yesterday- https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/may/05/premier-league-club-doctors-express-serious-concern-over-football-restart

The premier league have to have plans in place, the French league had the exact plans also in place and that didn’t happen. I’m sure the government do want it back, but it remains to be seen if their definition of when safe falls in line with when the PL needs to start and finish. It looks like Germany are about to give the go ahead to start later this month, and their infection rate is 5 times lower than ours and yet in training they have had 10 cases. There’s still a long way to go before we’re near Germany’s levels, and the green light to start may well be too late for this season 

Edited by JF

I never wanted to go up to the PL in the first place so relegation really doesn't bother me. In fact I positively welcome it and will be disappointed if by some miracle we were able to stay up, though thankfully that is unlikely.

Last season I would have much preferred to be given the chance to defend a Championship title and "sell" our place to someone who is more interested in meaningless football - Leeds would have given us £100m for our place last season, as would a dozen others. This isn't unheard of lower down the leagues when clubs feel they are either not ready for the step up or don't have adequate facilities.

Money has destroyed the Premier League for those who go to games and VAR is the single most threatening development to supporters developed to date and I sincerely hope the EFL never adopt it.

• Like 1

Coronavirus is not fair. The resolution to how football restarts is never going to be fair to everyone. 

At this stage I don't really give a toss about whether we go down or not. To me it seems reckless to try and finish the leagues before August - there is so much more significant at stake than football at the moment. For that reason I hope no football is played until it is 100% safe to do so.

If it ends up that we get relegated on ppg or some other ****ty system, I would still prefer that than the potential carnage of football matches during a global pandemic. 

4 hours ago, pete said:

If Project Restart does commence relegation an absolute certainty not just highly probable if the Pl is intent on relegating 3 clubs.  If so show some integrity and do not put our players in danger and just take relegation on the chin.  And as PL has already paid up refuse to pat any rebate.  If this prevents City from ever playing PL again it would be a price worth paying to get out of the clutches of this money grabbing and some may say corrupt association.    

Would you say the same if you were a Villa or Bournemouth fan? If so, you are basically saying that we should accept the league positions as they are now?

Just trying to be realistic with the PL trying its best to see Norwich City relegated do you expect to gEt results needed on neutral grounds.  If so you are seriously deluded and not a little stupid.  Call a halt to what is a futile exercise and finish it show some integrity and take the moral high ground.  If we don't pay up PL could withhold the £40m parachute payment which we would be contractually entitled nothing PL can do to stop.  

Lets just get back into the Championship for a more real football experience but alas less money.

19 minutes ago, pete said:
  4 hours ago, pete said:

If Project Restart does commence relegation an absolute certainty not just highly probable if the Pl is intent on relegating 3 clubs.  If so show some integrity and do not put our players in danger and just take relegation on the chin.  And as PL has already paid up refuse to pat any rebate.  If this prevents City from ever playing PL again it would be a price worth paying to get out of the clutches of this money grabbing and some may say corrupt association.    

Just trying to be realistic with the PL trying its best to see Norwich City relegated do you expect to gEt results needed on neutral grounds.  If so you are seriously deluded and not a little stupid.  Call a halt to what is a futile exercise and finish it show some integrity and take the moral high ground.  If we don't pay up PL could withhold the £40m parachute payment which we would be contractually entitled nothing PL can do to stop.  

Lets just get back into the Championship for a more real football experience but alas less money.

The flaw in the "lets just get back to the championship" is that there may not be a championship next season. There may also be a "re-set" that sees changes to parachute payments/distribution of monies down the leagues which coupled with the a**e falling out of the transfer market could put our club in very significant financial trouble.

Now is really not the time to be taking a "I don't care if we go down" sort of stance. Going down could see us really struggling for some time to come with no sugar daddy to prop us up. 

• Like 2

Seems pretty clear to me that seeing off Project Re-Start on neutral grounds is becoming a key battleground for the relegation threatened clubs. If the season plays out then I think (save for in the unlikely event clubs agree to no relegation) legally challenging relegation if we finish in the bottom three will be very difficult.

If it doesn't play out then legal avenues perhaps open up if the premier league tries to relegate clubs on the basis of an incomplete season. In that scenario I can see a "no relegation" decision becoming much more likely.