Sign in to follow this  
pete

13 for 6 against 1 dissenter

13 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

If we were currently sitting safely and comfortably mid-table in the Premiership....Do you think we'd actually be in uproar or really bothered about the fate of the bottom three?.... 

We probably wouldn't be 'in uproar' but I'm sure we'd all be saying it's wrong. I would, anyway.

• Like 2

I just think that if they can’t complete the fixtures they need to create a situation that doesn’t penalise teams unduly. Ok if they decide they want to promote extra teams then so be it. Reward teams that may deserve it but don’t make it at the expense of teams who have been unable to try and secure safety over a full season. In my view that means the expanded premier league scenario that has been mooted. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

We probably wouldn't be 'in uproar' but I'm sure we'd all be saying it's wrong. I would, anyway.

I concur it is so very wrong.....but we'd all think we'd dodged a bullet this season.....

It also should not be forgotten that this is not an ordinary time to get relegated. It would be relegation into a league on its a**e and which may be entirely behind closed doors for a season. It would be a double whammy. 

7 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

It also should not be forgotten that this is not an ordinary time to get relegated. It would be relegation into a league on its a**e and which may be entirely behind closed doors for a season. It would be a double whammy. 

And the transfer market has collapsed, which was always a handy resource for clubs short of money.

Triple whammy.

19 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

And the transfer market has collapsed, which was always a handy resource for clubs short of money.

Triple whammy.

When your a selling club relying on big money departures? 

If we were currently sitting safely and comfortably mid-table in the Premiership....Do you think we'd actually be in uproar or really bothered about the fate of the bottom three?.... 

I would if my team had to play them. It is immoral to say that the rest of the country must observe 2 metres for good reason and yet footballers don't because they will be tested twice a week. Does that stop them getting it and perhaps taking it elsewhere? Even the scientists have admitted that testing and retesting doesn't catch it every time.

And why should a footballer get tested twice a week when the overwhelming majority haven't? I don't give a toss if the EPL is paying. It is wrong. SInce Hancock massaged the figures to reach 100K he hasn't done it since and its going down not up.

17 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Some teams rely on players to keep afloat a little more than others. 

I don't think that there is a team outside the premiership to whom player sales does not have to form part of their long term sustainability + it is also a crucial part of many premier league teams strategy as well.

Only some of the teams backed by multi billionaires, have the luxury of not having to rely on player sales. Even the likes of Arsenal are having to sell players to pay for players that they bought last year according to reports.

1 minute ago, Badger said:

I don't think that there is a team outside the premiership to whom player sales does not have to form part of their long term sustainability + it is also a crucial part of many premier league teams strategy as well.

Only some of the teams backed by multi billionaires, have the luxury of not having to rely on player sales. Even the likes of Arsenal are having to sell players to pay for players that they bought last year according to reports.

I get that but I don’t think any other other top flight clubs sell to survive on a regular basis like us.

1. Most of the clubs sell players that they would rather keep on a regular basis as part of a sustainable model. When they don't they often get their fingers burned - e.g Arsenal with Ozil 

2. We are not an established top flight club. There are only about 8 to 10 with the rest of us going up and down reasonably regularly. Because of our generally prudent financial model, we get re-promoted more often than most.

3. Unless the financial model for football changes or we get taken over by a multi-billionaire with the interests of the club at heart, this is likely to be the best that is realistic, other than in terms of schoolboy fantasies.

2 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Arsenal and the other teams you allude to don’t get relegated very often though.

No they are one of the 8 to 10 teams that are unlikely ever to get relegated. If we had the profile Arsenal have and an average attendance of about 60,000 we wouldn't either.

But we don't...

This whole topic has a long way to run yet and i doubt the PL will resolve anything on Monday. The Government seem to be back pedaling to cool the short term possibility of sport and other football returning. Yes they would like to as an aspiration but only if it is safe to do so, big change in language though hardly rocket science. They realise things are are not improving at the speed that they would like/hoped and are having to firm up some of the language, with players testing positive in Germany and Spain, doubts about if clubs are covered on their insurance if players get ill or worse i think this debate will run for weeks and weeks yet until someone has to make a decision to pull the plug

Starting Project Restart may be the easy part of the conundrum.  Finishing it is likely to be more problematic.  The virus is still with us for the foreseeable future the threat continues and any infection(s) will scupper the plan, isolated in an hotel is akin to the issue regarding care homes.  Social isolation in places like Liverpool if they win the title in two wins time will prove to be another problem are remember Athletico Madrid.  Any movement in the R factor upwards or a new outbreak will finish it.

The £120m the PL will save in parachute payments to the bottom three, which I presume is a copper bottomed guarantee might just be on the minds of the PL.  The PL are certain that finishing the season in whatever way will alleviate their financial blackhole not so sure this will end their money worries,  legal actions however the season is curtailed is most likely.

The Southampton chairman didn't seem too keen on neutral grounds maybe this is due to the two south coast neighbours in relegation strife which maybe of importance to the Saints.    

Use of 5 subs rule has no been confirmed. Laughable 

The further this rumbles on, the less I find that I care.

Amongst the rest of the farcical deductions and scooby-doo schemes to get English football back in play, the 5 sub rule seems fair at first glance but hands the most benefit to the richer clubs who can stockpile millions upon millions on their bench every game. It also removes a key tactical point about substitutions.

More and more I get the feeling that this whole situation is like a bad quarantine haircut. They want it to look the same as the barber does it, but no matter how often they tell themselves they're maintaining the integrity of the haircut it keeps getting further away with every bit clipped off.

Oh for someone with a sturdy set of clippers.

• Like 1

I’m sure this is going to go down well with the public...

The projected voting for Project Restart was postulated that the 6 candidates for relegation would oppose neutral grounds.  The PL wants it, the government wants it, the players want it, the pundits want it so it seems there will be 14 in favour.  If so why do the PL seem reluctant to have the vote, it won't be held after the next meeting on Monday.  Maybe they fear not all of the 14 non relegation clubs will fall into line with the PL and they will be embarassed by the result.  They need to get a move on if they are to make the June date and complete by end July.

Boris expected to announce another 3 weeks of strict social distancing tomorrow, which puts another obstacle in making June a realistic option.   Government may be making positive noise re Project Start but relaxing lock down for football to begin again sends a message to the rest of the country that they do not want to give.

Lets have the vote and put us out of this misery.

Well at least we’ve been collectively been given a cool new nickname. The bottom 6 are now apparently being referred to by the other pro starting clubs as the “sabotage 6”...

I looked I looked at the rules and articles of association for the Premier League league. I think it is pretty clear that playing at at neutral venues is against the rules of the Premier League. They can change the rules  but I think it is highly questionable to change the rules mid-season  and must surely need them open to legal challenge.

In any case the articles of association say that if they wish to change the rules governing the Football League they have to have a meeting requiring a two-thirds majority (the 14)  but also that 21 days notice has to be given before any such meeting can resolve this. Surely if they don't do it soon they will run out of time in any case?

2 hours ago, JF said:

Well at least we’ve been collectively been given a cool new nickname. The bottom 6 are now apparently being referred to by the other pro starting clubs as the “sabotage 6”...

You can't  sabotage something that isn't  going to happen.

I think the Watford chairman nailed it yesterday with this bit of his statement...

"Critics will say my position is founded on self-interest and they would be absolutely right. I have a duty to protect my club and the people employed by it, some of whom have worked for Watford Football Club for more than 20 years and dedicated their lives to it.

There is no altruism in the Premier League. There are 20 different vested interests, which sometimes align but more often than not work purely to protect each individual club.

That is why some clubs are happy to sign up to Project Restart because arguably there is only an upside in participating in this compromised format; it means Liverpool can win the title, other clubs can book their place in Europe next season or potentially fight their way up the table from a position of safety."

Edited by JF

And Brighton now coming under criticism for these infections... from Liverpool fans of course.

You can see how polarising all this is.

I'm glad we are so important to them. Its the first time they have acknowledged we exist. Squeeze them for every concession we can get.

Then of course, so many players are going to come down with it that it will be abandoned even if it starts. And if Boris is true to his rhetoric then he won't allow any sport to start up without social distancing.