JF

Germany’s return is going well....

41 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Again, sticking entirely to factual and avoiding theoretics here - The govt agrees that the majority of UK adults are overweight.

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn03336/

"28.7% of adults in England are obese. A further 35.6% are overweight but not obese."

64.3% is a majority whatever way you paint it.

I'm avoiding commenting on anything other than the evidence because I can't be bothered getting into a pointless argument (not directed at you, just a general comment).

I do agree with Van Wink though - I lived in Turkey 10 years ago and still ahve friends there. It's a very different country to the one I left in 2009. I wouldn't trust their stats as far as I can spit. 

I will say, as I can do so factually, that my experience in Turkish hospital was excellent and they were brilliant. It seems to be a bit argumentative on here so to lighten the tone I will give you a summary of my Turkish hospital anecdote.

Went to a camp on the beach. Got food poisoning either from dodgy water or badly cooked meat. Spent an entire day with horrific cramps and vomiting/squits. Got back to my mate's apartment in Istanbul, slept for 16 hours straight. Woke up feeling the same, but my health insurance card was at my place in Ankara - had to take a 6 hour bus journey in that state. No toilet on the bus. Fortuitously avoided s**tting myself on the bus. Got back to Ankara, got my card, and went straight to hospital - IV Drip in each arm. The doctor came to explain what was wrong with me, and kept asserting I had a problem with my "small balls". I was utterly perplexed for several minutes until I realised he was saying "small bowel" as in small intestine, but his strong accent made it difficult to understand. 

T will tell you that you should have learnt another language KiO

Edited by Crabbycanary3

As a friend of the family has said on a few occasions (her brother is a doctor)..."you'd be hard pressed to find a cardiac surgeon who is not thin"

Further, most heart surgeons exercise regularly. No need to say why.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

How much does 165cm tall, Angela Merkel weigh?

Does that weight include her gastric band?.....

6 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

T will tell you that you should have learnt another language KiO

I did but my level of Turkish didn't stretch to internal anatomy or medical diagnosis!! Most situations I could get by, but that was an outlier.

12 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

'Normal' weight for someone who is 6' 6" starts at less than 11 and a half stone. That's an image I don't want to see.

I'm short but really broad.  I'm currently fatter than I would like but working on it - to get to the very top of the healthy range on BMI for my height, I would have to be skeletally thin and weigh less than I did at 16.... and I was in excellent shape at 16.

So I do hold some serious question marks about what classes as overweight and obese as the fundamental basis for this discussion, as if it's just on critically flawed BMI where most peak condition athletes would be classed as overweight or obese due to muscle mass then it's pretty pointless as a statistic.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, kick it off said:

I did but my level of Turkish didn't stretch to internal anatomy or medical diagnosis!! Most situations I could get by, but that was an outlier.

I'm short but really broad.  I'm currently fatter than I would like but working on it - to get to the very top of the healthy range on BMI for my height, I would have to be skeletally thin and weigh less than I did at 16.... and I was in excellent shape at 16.

So I do hold some serious question marks about what classes as overweight and obese as the fundamental basis for this discussion, as if it's just on critically flawed BMI where most peak condition athletes would be classed as overweight or obese due to muscle mass then it's pretty pointless as a statistic.

Exactly. I am 6' 6", played rugby and did the London marathon 2 years ago, but apparently I need to drop a biscuit or two and should have done many years ago. 

Edited by Crabbycanary3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Brown sauce, red sauce or no sauce at all? 

Brown. This isn't even up for debate (said in a T like manner)

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

and HP (Houses of Parliament) brown, at that

Absolutely.

Anything else is an insult or a cheap pretender 

17 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Brown sauce, red sauce or no sauce at all? 

Colmans Mustard.

• Like 1

Just now, ricardo said:

Colmans Mustard.

Another good call😉

On a more serious note, felt upset when production was moved abroad. But Colman's always Norwich to me.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

If you're going brown varieties of sauce then it's got to be reggae reggae. Far more flavourful and infinitely superior to HP.

is that Gordon or George, Crabby.

I'm afraid I am overweight right now. I played football until I was 45. And started long distance running at 55. Unfortunately, Prostate Cancer put paid to the running as anything other than exercise. I play golf, cycle and walk the dog regularly and yet I still put on fat. I am not worried about weight as you can be heavy through muscle but unfortunate mine is now fat.
I keep making efforts to lose the fat but it stalls after a while. It is the frame of mind I am in. In my 70th year the willpower is not what it was. But at nigh on 6 feet tall I am overweight and not obese.
However, there are exceptions to those who are overweight and carrying a spare tyre but as fit as a butcher's dog. While I wouldn't put myself in the top of that category, I still believe I am fitter than a lot of people who carry less fat. But of course that could just be down to attitude

46 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Exactly. I am 6' 6", played rugby and did the London marathon 2 years ago, but apparently I need to drop a biscuit or two and should have done many years ago. 

1 hour ago, kick it off said:

Agree completely with you both. I'd like to think I'm in very good shape; I go to the gym three or four times a week and eat well, but according to BMI I'm 24-point-something, which puts me dangerously close to being overweight, even though I know I am not. 

Most rugby players are obese, for example, due to the amount of muscle they have. Maybe that's why the UK has the obesity in the rate in Europe: because we are the most muscular?

• Haha 1

Obviously it is your body fat percentage rather than BMI which is just a rough proxy that actually matters but I suspect there is a very low percentage that have a high BMI because of muscle. That the British are too muscular is an amusing thought but doesn’t get away from the epidemic of overweight people in the UK and elsewhere that needs addressing. 

2 hours ago, kick it off said:

Again, sticking entirely to factual and avoiding theoretics here - The govt agrees that the majority of UK adults are overweight.

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn03336/

"28.7% of adults in England are obese. A further 35.6% are overweight but not obese."

64.3% is a majority whatever way you paint it.

I'm avoiding commenting on anything other than the evidence because I can't be bothered getting into a pointless argument (not directed at you, just a general comment).

I do agree with Van Wink though - I lived in Turkey 10 years ago and still ahve friends there. It's a very different country to the one I left in 2009. I wouldn't trust their stats as far as I can spit. 

I will say, as I can do so factually, that my experience in Turkish hospital was excellent and they were brilliant. It seems to be a bit argumentative on here so to lighten the tone I will give you a summary of my Turkish hospital anecdote.

Went to a camp on the beach. Got food poisoning either from dodgy water or badly cooked meat. Spent an entire day with horrific cramps and vomiting/squits. Got back to my mate's apartment in Istanbul, slept for 16 hours straight. Woke up feeling the same, but my health insurance card was at my place in Ankara - had to take a 6 hour bus journey in that state. No toilet on the bus. Fortuitously avoided s**tting myself on the bus. Got back to Ankara, got my card, and went straight to hospital - IV Drip in each arm. The doctor came to explain what was wrong with me, and kept asserting I had a problem with my "small balls". I was utterly perplexed for several minutes until I realised he was saying "small bowel" as in small intestine, but his strong accent made it difficult to understand. 

My sister and her other half have lived in Didim for the past 4 or 5 years and she also always speaks well of the Turkish health authorities.

Like others, I'm not so sure of the rest of the govenmental departments.

2 minutes ago, T said:

Obviously it is your body fat percentage rather than BMI which is just a rough proxy that actually matters but I suspect there is a very low percentage that have a high BMI because of muscle. That the British are too muscular is an amusing thought but doesn’t get away from the epidemic of overweight people in the UK and elsewhere that needs addressing. 

That's all well and good Mr T (I have your number, youre in the A team) , but what sauce do you put on a  bacon sarnie? Thats the real measure of a man.

4 hours ago, T said:

The majority of UK adults are fat due to poor diet and lack of exercise. and is a major problem in the UK leading to high rates of heart Disease and diabetes and lCovid 19  deaths. This doesn’t come from me but medical authorities  And it is reported Boris recognised it made his condition worse and wants to bring measures to improve health  

The UK did vote for Brexit against the common consensus of Economists  The UK did. prepare for Brexit rather than a pandemic per a emergency planning professor  The UK didn’t and still doesn’t have PPE in place  The UK didn’t and still hasn’t test trace and isolate place  Immigration was a major part of the case for Brexit  Boris and Raab have highlighted the importance of immigrants and key workers in this crisis   Racism is a known biological trait  People have being making xenophobic and islamophobic comments and never ever being able to come up with a practical logical rational evidence based argument for Brexit which has been main focus of last few years  

I seriously wonder if this T guy believes in the benefits of eugenics. There is quite a lot of evidence to suggest that he does:

• Seeking to target / blame those with physical imperfections, in this case those who are overweight or obese.
  • Perpetuating the bizarre claim that 'racism is a known biological trait'. Elsewhere he has said that people are born as inherent racists. This is totally and absolutely wrong. I was not born a racist and don't have a racist bone in my body, so I think the observation is offensive and dangerous.
  • Overt nationalism, perversely in favour of his adopted country rather than his country of birth. He's not the first to have done that!

There are still many people who believe in the benefits of maintaining the purity of an Aryan race and I find parts of Germany to be eerie and uncomfortable because you can walk down the street and sense the 'purity' of the population. 

If the current government were eugenisists (and there is a silent nod in that direction in the extreme right wing of the party, without naming names as that would just inflame and deviate the conversation), then the targeted groups would be poor immigrants, the physically impaired, the under-educated, and no doubt some other unfashionable groups. 

I am not saying that T is a nazista (although he could be), more that the views he express resonate a linear development of eugenic ideas, fit for the mid-21st century.

Edited by Pugin

7 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

That's all well and good Mr T (I have your number, youre in the A team) , but what sauce do you put on a  bacon sarnie? Thats the real measure of a man.

Gotta be brown sauce.....'It's a MANWICH!'.....

'T' has mung bean and lentil broth....with a mint tea....

15 minutes ago, T said:

I wonder if you have a gargantuan mekon type head?.....Now, that's an amusing thought.....

11 minutes ago, Pugin said:

I seriously wonder if this T guy believes in the benefits of eugenics. There is quite a lot of evidence to suggest that he does:

• Seeking to target / blame those with physical imperfections, in this case those who are overweight or obese.
  • Perpetuating the bizarre claim that 'racism is a known biological trait'. Elsewhere he has said that people are born as inherent racists. This is totally and absolutely wrong. I was not born a racist and don't have a racist bone in my body, so I think the observation is offensive and dangerous.
  • Overt nationalism, perversely in favour of his adopted country rather than his country of birth. He's not the first to have done that!

There are still many people who believe in the benefits of maintaining the purity of an Aryan race and I find parts of Germany to be eerie and uncomfortable because you can walk down the street and sense the 'purity' of the population. 

If the current government were eugenisists (and there is a silent nod in that direction in the extreme right wing of the party, without naming names as that would just inflame and deviate the conversation), then the targeted groups would be poor immigrants, the physically impaired, the under-educated, and no doubt some other unfashionable groups. 

I am not saying that T is a **** (although he could be), more that the views he express resonate a linear development of eugenic ideas, fit for the mid-21st century.

I fear we may be talking master race. Suspect T is a peroxide blonde

Edited by Van wink

That is a very desperate attempt to deflect from the fact that majority of UK adults are overweight having serious health implications and a major burden on the NHS.  That is the point that needs addressing and apparently Boris now agrees with. 

All the studies show that people are naturally biased to people like themselves. Of course racism is a problem in society. The Brexit campaign knew and played the immigration race card big time. 

Germany has done a lot better at managing the crisis than the UK. That is the point that needs to be addressed unless you don’t care about UK lives. 

if you have problems with Eugenics  and racism as I do then good for you and suggest you address that at Cummings and the Brexiteers and UK immigration policy. 

4 minutes ago, T said:

That is a very desperate attempt to deflect from the fact that majority of UK adults are overweight having serious health implications and a major burden on the NHS.  That is the point that needs addressing and apparently Boris now agrees with. 

All the studies show that people are naturally biased to people like themselves. Of course racism is a problem in society. The Brexit campaign knew and played the immigration race card big time. 

Germany has done a lot better at managing the crisis than the UK. That is the point that needs to be addressed unless you don’t care about UK lives. 

if you have problems with Eugenics  and racism as I do then good for you and suggest you address that at Cummings and the Brexiteers and UK immigration policy. 

Buzz. Repetition. 

• Haha 1