Sign in to follow this  
king canary

On a scale of 1 to 10...

Missing football?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you miss football?

...how much do you actually miss football?

I've been surprised that I haven't missed it as much as I thought I would. I miss live sport in general and having the option to jump over to the Sky Sports channels and watch something but it isn't hugely specific to football.

I think this is maybe due in part to the fact I don't have a season ticket any more so I don't have the social aspect of going to games to miss out on. Would be interested to know how others are finding it?  

I've missed it a lot less than I thought I would to be honest but I can sense that as it goes on I am missing it a bit more. As much as anything I miss the "matchday" experience of seeing my mates and going to games probably more than I miss watching the games themselves.

I'd love to watch a bit of cricket right now as well but am hopeful that golf courses may be allowed to open as part of the earlier phases of unlocking the lockdown!

I miss being physically at a game, a lot.

Whilst there are far more important things occurring right now, which cannot be denied, I think it's ok to miss it a lot. I am a season ticket holder so it's a part of my life every other week. Not to play down the importance of it to people who aren't able to attend, or suggest that those who don't attend are any less important of course.

My mind is on a number of other things on a personal level due to COVID-19, for sure. But yes, I miss it a lot. It's a different aspect of my life, different to family, work and a lot of separate social aspects. It's always been something important to me and very close to my heart.

And to cut out a part of how you spend your time will always have an affect. A greater affect to some more than others.

This is likely to be the problem for clubs if fans can’t return for over a year. Quite a few will have decided that they don’t miss it and have found other things to do with their time/money 

Edited by JF

Advanced issue found
â–²

3 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I'd love to watch a bit of cricket right now as well but am hopeful that golf courses may be allowed to open as part of the earlier phases of unlocking the lockdown!

Agree on the cricket- a test match would be the perfect distraction for being in lockdown

6 I think.

I would have missed it a lot more, but the total lack of leadership and ridiculous suggestions from the EPL has left a really sour taste in the mouth.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, South Sider said:

Whilst there are far more important things occurring right now, which cannot be denied, I think it's ok to miss it a lot. I am a season ticket holder so it's a part of my life every other week. Not to play down the importance of it to people who aren't able to attend, or suggest that those who don't attend are any less important of course.

Totally agree, it is entirely OK to miss whatever it is you miss, however frivolous or non-essential it may be. I miss being able to go to the cinema or driving to the lovely village pub down the road for a pint in their beer garden. Totally non-essential but I miss it.

1 minute ago, Ian said:

I would have missed it a lot more, but the total lack of leadership and ridiculous suggestions from the EPL has left a really sour taste in the mouth.

Also agree with this- combining it with the reaction to the Newcastle takeover has really put the moral bankruptcy of top-level football into sharp relief.

I miss it and the buzz of Carrow Road but like others it has made me re-evaluate it.

Football however is not what it used to be, it's being ruined for many reasons and have to admit that since VAR has been introduced I've enjoyed it a lot less.

• Like 2

I miss the live games, going to the stadium...but I can't say I miss watching it on TV. There are loads of other thing to watch on the telly (streaming,...).

But I do miss sport in general , watching my son play football , the cricket,...

I know I may sound controversial here but the clubs now having real concerns about money - maybe its a good thing because clubs will have to reinvent there selves.  perhaps a little more realism now that splashing out silly money on players is not sensible any more. if the big clubs want to spend there selves into oblivion good luck , getting back to grass roots honest  football - great

missing football a little but thinking about peoples safety is much more important 

Edited by baldy09
add info

Just now, baldy09 said:

I know I may sound controversial here but the clubs now having real concerns about money - maybe its a good thing because clubs will have to reinvent there selves.  perhaps a little more realism now that splashing out silly money on players is not sensible any more. if the big clubs want to spend there selves into oblivion good luck , getting back to grass roots honest  football - great 

And that starts at the top, ie UEFA and the FA here.

The whole FFP is a complete nonsense, I don't think that there is anything at the big clubs that's not sponsored in one way or another and when you're the likes of Man City and money is no object, the more things sponsored the more you get to spend on players etc etc, christ we've even started to do it by having Lotus sponsoring the training ground, what next a new name for Carrow Road.

3 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

I miss going to games but not games on the tellybox.

Ditto Til.

I have seen the odd retro game on BT/Sky and that's been ok (saw Coventry v Spurs 87 Cup Final the other day, and that was good) , but I haven't been pining for them at all.

Isn't one of the channels showing Euro 96 some time soon?

...and yet City still get criticised and trolled for managing their budget carefully and prudently. The truth is that City is the template for how clubs should be run. Owned by real fans, self-funding, caring for supporters, close to the community, communicating well with fans, correcting mistakes openly when they occur.

1 minute ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Ditto Til.

I have seen the odd retro game on BT/Sky and that's been ok (saw Coventry v Spurs 87 Cup Final the other day, and that was good) , but I haven't been pining for them at all.

Isn't one of the channels showing Euro 96 some time soon?

Yep they are going to show every game not just the England ones.

36 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

And that starts at the top, ie UEFA and the FA here.

The whole FFP is a complete nonsense, I don't think that there is anything at the big clubs that's not sponsored in one way or another and when you're the likes of Man City and money is no object, the more things sponsored the more you get to spend on players etc etc, christ we've even started to do it by having Lotus sponsoring the training ground, what next a new name for Carrow Road.

As the current premier league impasse has aptly demonstrated. If there was not so much riding in everything financially (and in particular not such a gulf between the premier and the other division a) these decisions would be a lot less controversial and easier to make. 

54 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

I miss going to games but not games on the tellybox.

If i could pay to watch NCFC matches only on the TV i would do that.

I often put the football on because there isn't a lot else I want to watch but i have to confess i have not missed it.

I do understand though that would just make the bigger clubs wealthier still and the gap between us and them ever bigger.

17 minutes ago, duke63 said:

If i could pay to watch NCFC matches only on the TV i would do that.

I often put the football on because there isn't a lot else I want to watch but i have to confess i have not missed it.

I do understand though that would just make the bigger clubs wealthier still and the gap between us and them ever bigger.

I'm actually quite surprised that Sky hadn't brought this out already.

People who want to go to the matches will still go, those that live away or can't afford a season ticket would I suspect happily pay.

For many reasons I've never been able to do to many away games but knowing I could watch it live on the telly would make me want to give Sky or BT more money (dependent on how much more of course).

I suspect it would be the same for every football fan around the country as there is a camera at every professional game.

1 hour ago, South Sider said:

I miss being physically at a game, a lot.

My mind is on a number of other things on a personal level due to COVID-19, for sure. But yes, I miss it a lot. It's a different aspect of my life, different to family, work and a lot of separate social aspects. It's always been something important to me and very close to my heart.

And to cut out a part of how you spend your time will always have an affect. A greater affect to some more than others.

More convinced than ever this is a binner 

I haven’t missed it very much. I might go to a few Warrington Town games next season as they are within walking distance. 

I gave a 1 as I don't obviously go to live games. I miss going to Camborne RFC as I miss live sport and the craic meeting friends and making new ones. My son and I do stand out as we are from Redruth and support Camborne.

Of course I miss watching City but its through a screen and it is just not the same. 

Luckily this site is available to get the remote fix that is living in Cornwall.

I've put 7. A lot of my life seemed to revolve around football, but I'm not missing it as much as I expected, although let's be honest, we go through a two-month break every other summer anyway. I think being really into a Football Manager save helps, though.

One thing that I will point out though is that, as a member of society, I don't think I've ever felt more distant from footballers or football in general.

At the moment it’s like the summer break but the longer it goes on the more I will miss the whole match day experience. Plus it’s the anticipation before hand and the inquests later on.

Can’t say I feel any more ‘removed’ from professional footballers or the prem than before. It’s been about money for decades. I’ve followed a couple of teams (depending on where I’ve lived) around what was conference north/south level for quite a while - much more community focussed and enjoyable in its own way, but not the same as Norwich. 

I miss it more for the chat with mates and colleagues as much as anything. Around a 4/10.

59 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

People who want to go to the matches will still go, those that live away or can't afford a season ticket would I suspect happily pay.

For many reasons I've never been able to do to many away games but knowing I could watch it live on the telly would make me want to give Sky or BT more money (dependent on how much more of course).

I suspect it would be the same for every football fan around the country as there is a camera at every professional game.

It isn't really up to Sky- if it does happen it will be because the Premier League choose to become their own broadcaster rather than just sell packages of games.

It will happen eventually though- the most important thing is that the money is still split evenly rather than clubs selling their own individual rights.

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

It isn't really up to Sky- if it does happen it will be because the Premier League choose to become their own broadcaster rather than just sell packages of games.

It will happen eventually though- the most important thing is that the money is still split evenly rather than clubs selling their own individual rights.

1 hour ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

One huge stumbling block to this is that matches cannot be broadcast between 3pm and 5pm on a Saturday. It would require either a change of legislation which would seriously impact the finances of clubs in the lower leagues and non-league, or no games being held at 3pm on a Saturday any more.