Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Are Sky and the EPL on the same page?

I saw a poster suggest a protest against Sky yesterday for not cancelling the Premier League, and I pointed out that we don't actually have any idea what Sky want to happen as they've not declared their position publicly.

It led me to ponder whether there may actually be some politics at play here. 

There was a tabloid story claiming that Sky would not ask for a rebate if the season was cancelled, which was then repeated by various other tabloids, but from what I can see this could be complete rubbish. 

Could there be some much deeper politics at play which explain the EPL's crazy insistence that they want to finish the season? 

For example, could it actually be the case that the Premier League want to finish the season because Sky would then be contractually obliged to pay the full whack for the season. 

But Sky actually want the Premier League to cancel the season because then they would be able to get out of some of this payment. 

And could it be the case that what they both actually need to happen is for the government to cancel the season, for neither to be in breach of contract and for a mutual settlement to occur, or possibly an insurance payout? Could it be that Sky wouldn't ask for the rebate if the government cancelled, at which point they could claim insurance? 

We know that the EPL are determined to finish the season, but have no idea at the moment what Sky are hoping for, I wonder whether there is some deeper politics involved here? 

I think that is quite a likely scenario. Clearly the EPL want to finish the season in part because it would guarantee them any remaining tv monies, presumably without disputes. We know also though that much of it is driven by other "contracts" and sponsorship deals that some of the bigger clubs have which may be conditional on qualifying for European competition, winning the titles etc.

I think also though that its probably hugely likely that sky will not force the premier league over the abyss given that sky is very, very heavily reliant on the premier league as its main product and I presume that if fans are not allowed in stadiums will see great potential to pick up new customers next season. I therefore fully believe that they will be prepared to take a view on "exchanging" money they may be owned (or may not yet have paid) for this seasons games in return for more games next season or perhaps as part of a deal to get an extra year of coverage of the prem.

Which may then be where the EPL come in as well because I think its also quite plausible that they are eying up a big money deal with other broadcasters (e.g. amazon) next time the rights go out for bidding and won't wont to be tied to sky for a longer period than previously agreed because it may reduce their flexibility/scope for bigger deals when going out to tender next time.

All of which adds up to a lot of different angles and needs both parties really to take a sensible and pragmatic view to take some of the financial pressures off. 

Its noteworthy also that in the most recent articles trying to pin blame on the bottom clubs if football does not resume the "more than one billion" figure has started being cited again which is, so far as I am aware, complete nonsense.

PS - yes I think that the government ordering the season to end would probably give a lot of people the "get out" they need in terms of various contracts and I agree that the "we are resolved to complete the season" is in part designed to show that the various parties have done all they can to mitigate loss under those contracts.

Unfortunately we have a government who seem to regard the football starting up again as a symbol of the nation emerging from lockdown and are taking the opposite view!

• Like 1

Sky obviously think the season will restart as i cancelled my Sports package when this coronavirus descended on the UK but looking at my future Sky bills it has been reinstated on my bill due on 7th June.

I think Sky are savvy enough to realise that asking for a rebate may not be in their best interests long term. Rebates on the EFL deal could drive teams out of business and even in the Premier League, it could seriously impact the longer-term financial health of the league that they pay to televise. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Sky obviously think the season will restart as i cancelled my Sports package when this coronavirus descended on the UK but looking at my future Sky bills it has been reinstated on my bill due on 7th June.

That’s not the reason. Sky initially implemented the pause on their sports package for 3 months. However the pause is indefinite for as long as their live sports schedule is empty. Your bills will adjust nearer the time, you won’t pay for sports while sports isn’t on. 

1 hour ago, York Canary said:

That’s not the reason. Sky initially implemented the pause on their sports package for 3 months. However the pause is indefinite for as long as their live sports schedule is empty. Your bills will adjust nearer the time, you won’t pay for sports while sports isn’t on. 

Not too sure about that York because as soon as Sky implemented the pause i was on it within a couple of days as i pay on 7th of each month. My payment for March was my usual amount but April and May which is due in a couple or so days show a reduction with Sky Sports package billed as free although you can still view whatever is on the eleven channels but June has bucked what you stated.

30 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Not too sure about that York because as soon as Sky implemented the pause i was on it within a couple of days as i pay on 7th of each month. My payment for March was my usual amount but April and May which is due in a couple or so days show a reduction with Sky Sports package billed as free although you can still view whatever is on the eleven channels but June has bucked what you stated.

My guess would be that they’d get a lot of stick if they showed June now as paused then football/sport begins and they try to ‘unpause’ it. 

4 hours ago, king canary said:

I think Sky are savvy enough to realise that asking for a rebate may not be in their best interests long term. Rebates on the EFL deal could drive teams out of business and even in the Premier League, it could seriously impact the longer-term financial health of the league that they pay to televise. 

Agree. Not just because of the impact it has on other clubs, but because of future years too. If sky shafts the league, when the contract is next renewed, there are plenty of competitors that I’m sure the league would be warmer to.

The Pl has every thought of playing these games - hence it talking of playing them in Australia, outside of UK jurisdiction.

And talk of hitting TV companies by going elsewhere is absurd. The PL is contracted to them a few years more still.

The games will not start for another six weeks plus. The same time span as before the lockdown began.

There has been a huge amount of progress in the last week or so - and I expect things will be considerably different by the beginning of June even.

And for those stuck at home this is the reality outside - not everywhere, but a fair indication of how things are changing

Note the lack of fancy dress. That will only be required to protect companies from any possible future liability while you are on their premises.... that's all. ps sorry about size of pics - it won't shrink them

image.thumb.png.bb6b79f44acd660f64826f6a953394df.png

image.png.553e635d807e8287f2810bd4e482df41.png

No football no Sky. Admitedly Sky do offer very good equipment, but bbc/itv still lead the way on anything non sport related. 

13 minutes ago, Bill said:

The Pl has every thought of playing these games - hence it talking of playing them in Australia, outside of UK jurisdiction.

That has nothing to do with my post, I know that the premier League wants to resume. I'm pointing out that Sky may want something different. 

18 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

It’s because with Sky you pay for your services a month in advance. Hence why your first bill discounted will have been significantly cheaper than the one that followed. My brother works for Sky’s billing team and explained it to me as I queried the same. 

3 minutes ago, York Canary said:

It’s because with Sky you pay for your services a month in advance. Hence why your first bill discounted will have been significantly cheaper than the one that followed. My brother works for Sky’s billing team and explained it to me as I queried the same. 

Yeah i get that York but the resumption of full payment in June surely means yet more work for your brother if football does not start by 7th. It seems to me that instead of putting a three month cap on the sports package pause just leave it until a ball is kicked again. Hey ho we will have to wait and see.

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

Yeah i get that York but the resumption of full payment in June surely means yet more work for your brother if football does not start by 7th. It seems to me that instead of putting a three month cap on the sports package pause just leave it until a ball is kicked again. Hey ho we will have to wait and see.

If sky cant furlough staff for whatever reason, keeping them busy fiddling around with peoples subscriptions  at least gives them something to do. I doubt they want to lose out on a penny more than necessary,  so will have fingers poised over the ' restart charges button' , waiting to resume revenue harvesting  asap. 

I always try to temper my anti sky feelings with the fact that before they came along,  there was next to sod- all live footy on most of the time . 

On 04/05/2020 at 12:44, keelansgrandad said:

Can you imagine SKY without league football. Just a pathetic channel full of US rubbish.

Sky just wouldn't exist without football. Other channels offer a better service for half the cost. For the cost of a bog standard Sky subscription you could pay for Netflix and Amazon and still have money left over. Which leads me to think that Sky needs football more than football needs them. Sky will have to be very careful with this. Their future existence may depend on it.