Pugin

Is this picture of The Nest as rare as I think it is?

I have just acquired this picture of The Nest in August 1908, immediately before City moved there. Quite recently I read somewhere that before a pitch could be prepared it was necessary to move some mounds of earth, and it appears that this is what is picture shows.

Has this picture been seen before? I certainly haven't seen it. Also, how on earth did they prepare a grass pitch and get a game played within a month of clearing the ground. 

Scan 2058_edited-1.jpg

• Like 4

I have seen plenty of photos of the Nest but never that one. A really good historical find.

• Like 1

Really Interesting. My Great Uncle was managing Director of Boulton and Paul in the 1920s and 1930s and agreed to sell the club the works sports field which became the Carrow Road we all know and love

• Like 1

Nope, a cracking find

I can imagine someone saying to the residents of those houses

"Nothing to worry about, it'll just be a few blokes kicking a football about......it shouldn't disturb you ...................too much"

15 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

There's some great photos and memories here...

http://readtheleague.com/the-big-feature/thenest

Fascinating photo Pugin , how did you come by it may I ask ?

Cheers Nutty , I rather like the sound of the Chicken Run !! Pre cursor to the Snakepit ! People don’t change much 😀 . Oh to be able to go back in time for one match at the Nest . 

Edited by Pockthorpe

6 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

There's some great photos and memories here...

http://readtheleague.com/the-big-feature/thenest

Really interesting.I find the idea of Norwich playing anywhere but at Carrow Road really strange, the halcyon, rose tinted good old days for me was around 2000/2001 so for me this is like peering into another world. I love the colourised photos, somehow makes it seem more real.

I also feel odd reading testimonies from people between 1918 and 1939 just living their lives completely normally, working, watching Norwich play etc like we are now, oblivious to the horrific nightmare that was about to follow. Makes me morbidly curious if we might be living through another calm before the storm right now...

Anyway, fascinating read. 

It's all about your perspective. Were it not for coronavirus, what would the big news organisations be plugging? Would they run stories about the terrorist threat, about health scares, about errant members of the Royal family, about Trump and the Chinese leader Xi? Would we think these were really big issues? They are not, of course. Unless they effect us directly, which they rarely do. I guess that's what makes coronavirus different; we are all effected.

Between the wars (in the period you mention) people just got on with their daily lives as best they could. Much like now. Now, only the foolish take much notice of the front page of the tabloids. 'Horrific nightmares' are what happen to us in our own private lives. And we are all capable of controlling 90% of that.

Watching City in the days of The Nest was clearly an exciting and life-enhancing experience. The team and the city must have felt as one, so much so that it doesn't even need to be said. The unity when entertaining teams London teams or one of the Northern giants was thrilling. There was an element of David vs Goliath, which added to the thrill. 

We need our Norwich City back in action as soon as possible, in front of live crowds, , as some things have changed, but others haven't.