Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Relegated on points per game

5 minutes ago, glory.win or die. said:

I think only 14 teams in the prem have to vote for something for it to pass, so highly possible we could be relegated without having to complete season.

Presumably the bottom 3 would vote against it. But would need 4 from elsewhere.

You have to assume the top 4 would vote for it.

So would need 5th 6th 7th and 8th to vote against if  they are missing out on potential euro football.

We won’t be relegated on a vote, we and the others in the bottom 3 would take the PL to the cleaners for that. No one will be relegated on ppg 

Edited by JF

29 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Very interesting language used there by Barber. The word 'material' is somewhat legalese I would say.

Now Southampton...

20 minutes ago, JF said:

We won’t be relegated on a vote, we and the others in the bottom 3 would take the PL to the cleaners for that. No one will be relegated on ppg 

Yet...Chris Wilder is Daniel's mate anyway plus don't forget so is Klopp. Sure they'd have a word with their employers not to vote ol' Norwich out 😉

Edited by sonyc

I expect Webber is simply keeping his powder dry atm. Let others do the talking.

There only needs to be 7 teams voting against the proposal of restarting using neutral grounds for it to fail. Any team in danger of relegation would surely vote against so there is a real chance of that happening.

There is a clear bargaining position. Teams at the bottom would only vote to restart if there was an acceptance that neutral venues would “materially effect the integrity of the competition” (to coin a Brighton phrase) and therefore there could be no relegation. 

I can’t see the top teams insisting on relegation so long as they get their Project Restart.

Edited by Hairy Canary
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

There only needs to be 7 teams voting against the proposal of restarting using neutral grounds for it to fail. Any team in danger of relegation would surely vote against so there is a real chance of that happening.

There is a clear bargaining position. Teams at the bottom would only vote to restart if there was an acceptance that neutral venues would “materially effect the integrity of the competition” (to coin a Brighton phrase) and therefore there could be no relegation. 

I can’t see the top teams insisting on relegation so long as they get their Project Restart.

Indeed, a quid pro quo.

9 hours ago, sonyc said:

Lampard says idea of footballers getting tested before NHS staff 'doesn't sit well'

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/may/02/premier-league-restart-chelsea-frank-lampard-nhs-coronavirus-testing

Not sure if this has been noted before. Copying for interest. Lampard is often a sane voice.

Totally Sonyco, footy should 'join the queue' as far as getting any resources ONCE  the NHS has sufficient to work as safely  as possible. For as long as necessary Complete no brainer. Footy comes well below anyone working for the physical health of the nation, then come civil and safety services,  retails staff,  couriers etc , in fact almost everyone is in front of footy in the queue  for resources relevant to Covid19.  They are on a par with actors as far as special treatment,   essentially, non essential. 

I love footy but it can do one for now.

We need more of the likes of F Lampard and G Neville speaking up.

Edited by wcorkcanary
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Totally Sonyco, footy should 'join the queue' as far as getting any resources ONCE  the NHS has sufficient to work as safely  as possible. For as long as necessary Complete no brainer. Footy comes well below anyone working for the physical health of the nation, then come civil and safety services,  retails staff,  couriers etc , in fact almost everyone is in front of footy in the queue  for resources relevant to Covid19.  They are on a par with actors as far as special treatment,   essentially, non essential. 

I love footy but it can do one for now.

We need more of the likes of F Lampard and G Neville speaking up.

Spot on.

Football is far too far up it’s own a*se to see that it’s irrelevant in times like these. 

Is there any possibility that a season that finishes with neutral grounds being used and a championship that doesn't restart at all would see promotion and relegation scrapped?

Admittedly this is just a Norwich self interest post - but curious nonetheless.

Edited by Hillhead

1 hour ago, Hillhead said:

Is there any possibility that a season that finishes with neutral grounds being used and a championship that doesn't restart at all would see promotion and relegation scrapped?

Admittedly this is just a Norwich self interest post - but curious non the less.

It certainly should do. Certainly the former anyway. 

So, just looking purely at the football aspect, is there really a disadvantage to some clubs by playing on a neutral ground with no fans? Wouldn't we actually have a better chance of beating Arsenal, Chelsea and Man City in those circumstances? Even Watford?

Us and Southampton have the two worst home records to date, so we are presumably giving up the least by playing at a neutral ground?

11 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

So, just looking purely at the football aspect, is there really a disadvantage to some clubs by playing on a neutral ground with no fans? Wouldn't we actually have a better chance of beating Arsenal, Chelsea and Man City in those circumstances? Even Watford?

Us and Southampton have the two worst home records to date, so we are presumably giving up the least by playing at a neutral ground?

Ssshhh, we're kicking up a stink to get relegation cancelled! I don't want to hear this theory any more, OK?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Hillhead said:

Admittedly this is just a Norwich self interest post - but curious nonetheless.

I personally think if the PL finishes and the championship doesn’t then it should be scrapped. I see no reason why PL teams should play on in these circumstances to then just accept 3 teams take there place that didn’t complete their season. But who knows? I guess a lot will come down to the wording in the contract between PL and EFL concerning promotion and relegation 

Contracts can be broken, and the EPL have 126 million quid available if there is no relegation. That’s a lot of persuasion for 72 EFL clubs who may benefit from a slice of that money if it ever came to a vote. 

2 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Contracts can be broken, and the EPL have 126 million quid available if there is no relegation. That’s a lot of persuasion for 72 EFL clubs who may benefit from a slice of that money if it ever came to a vote. 

True. What I would like to know is the wording on promotion and relegation. I really see no reason why 3 teams from the championship that still haven’t earned promotion should take the bottom 3s place unless both teams complete their fixtures. If the PL complete fixtures and EFL go points per game then I don’t believe that should stand 

41 minutes ago, Surfer said:

That's the best solution provided that the Premier League gets hold of that £800m, otherwise they may not be able to spare £126m for the EFL. 

40 minutes ago, JF said:

True. What I would like to know is the wording on promotion and relegation. I really see no reason why 3 teams from the championship that still haven’t earned promotion should take the bottom 3s place unless both teams complete their fixtures. If the PL complete fixtures and EFL go points per game then I don’t believe that should stand 

I’m not so sure there actually is a “contract” per se I think it’s probably an arrangement overseen by the FA who ultimately have to sign whatever happens off. The prem rules just say that at the end of the Season if directed to do so by the premier league the bottom three clubs have to transfer their shares to a nominated team promoted from the EFL. 

But I agree with you JF re allowing “promoted” teams to take our place if they don’t complete their season. It doesn’t really seem to be questioned that Leeds abd WBA deserve to come up but the reality is they have not yet earnt that right. It seems to me that the EFL are just sitting back (not really making any meaningful efforts to plan a finish but not admitting that) until the EPL make a decision and then just plan to announce WBA and Leeds up and that there will be three play offs. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jim Smith said:

I’m not so sure there actually is a “contract” per se I think it’s probably an arrangement overseen by the FA who ultimately have to sign whatever happens off. The prem rules just say that at the end of the Season if directed to do so by the premier league the bottom three clubs have to transfer their shares to a nominated team promoted from the EFL. 

So basically the bottom 6 PL clubs are expected to jump through hoops to get their season to completion and then 3 of them will be replaced by 3 sides that have had their feet up for the last few months and done nothing to complete their season and haven’t earned promotion. I’d find that incredibly unjust 

1 minute ago, JF said:

So basically the bottom 6 PL clubs are expected to jump through hoops to get their season to completion and then 3 of them will be replaced by 3 sides that have had their feet up for the last few months and done nothing to complete their season and haven’t earned promotion. I’d find that incredibly unjust 

I agree. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Ssshhh, we're kicking up a stink to get relegation cancelled! I don't want to hear this theory any more, OK?

😀 That just about sums this entire thread

23 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

That's the best solution provided that the Premier League gets hold of that £800m, otherwise they may not be able to spare £126m for the EFL. 

Yeah, and that would be a major problem for us then if we are relegated. Worst case scenario : no more PL games - Sky and overseas broadcasters request rebates on monies paid / remaining monies due for this season, NCFC relegated based on PPG, no parachute payments made to the relegated teams, no spectators allowed until Jan 2021, sponsorship and transfer market values collapse.

Many of you think the only fair option is 'null and void', I assume you'd all feel the same if you were a Liverpool fan or followed a club close to a CL or Europa Cup place?

18 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

Many of you think the only fair option is 'null and void', I assume you'd all feel the same if you were a Liverpool fan or followed a club close to a CL or Europa Cup place?

Aside from completing the games it is the fairest option and I would feel the same if I supported one of those clubs. However obviously I wouldn’t want it and would resist it. We are all influenced by our own vested interests. 

If NCFC decides to boycott any restart on the grounds of it's unsafe for players, unethical, unfair or all of the above they would have my total respect and support. Even to the extent we are thrown out the EPL.

The EPL can do one.

Edited by Capt. Pants