Sign in to follow this  
yellowrider120

116, 148 & 150

As Yellow Riders 'early' retirement work came to a shuddering halt in mid March and with some five weeks of this so called 'Lockdown' endured, it was time to scour the cupboard in the lounge for trips down memory lane. Although I had skimmed parts of '150 Great Goals' (1971 - 2005), yesterday was the first time I had watched it all through in one sitting.

Of course more modern heroes such as Holty and Teemu don't feature due to the cut off date some 15 years ago so one has to consider some of the slightly earlier legends. Mind you how some of those scrappy goals could come under the heading 'Great Goals', I've really no idea. The recently departed true legend who was 'ten years ahead of his time' chipped in with a batch of goals v Arsenal (would imagine he enjoyed those!) whilst goals from the first promotion season are viewed from the old rickety camera perch behind the River End goal.

Anyway back to the numbers test. 116,148 and 150 are easily my favourites. Here are some giveaway clues for those who may not have viewed said DVD.................

116 - our striker buries a header (Yes we sometimes had a centre forward who could actually head the ball!) and a roar erupts from the far end as approaching 40,000 'Norfolk' throats dared to dream of the 'promised land'. That dream was quickly extinguished unfortunately.

148 - without doubt the most emotional game I've ever seen at FCR but strangely seems to be rarely discussed by Canaries. Although not on this clip, viewers should find a video of the immediate final whistle scenes when a certain Chairman was caught on TV staring in total bewilderment  at what had just happened. For a couple of months NCFC were almost newly found 'darlings of the national media' as established football writers and self proclaimed 'analysts' struggled to work out what the hell was going on in Norfolk. Aforementioned Chairman had a choice to make a few weeks later. He made the wrong one and (arguably) our finest ever team began to disintegrate.

150 - 'leaving the best till last' is a popular saying and boy is that true of the final 'Great Goal' in that DVD. Many will disagree of course but on that evening we all shook our heads in disbelief when we finally sat down after screaming in delight. You can actually hear the impact of the ball as it strikes the bar on the way in. My 'Number One' for what it's worth!   

Final thought - it's human nature I suppose to automatically assume that the present is superior to the past. Take Farke's Championship winning side. 'The best football I've sever seen' is the common tag. Possibly. We dismiss previous teams too soon though in that regard. Watch the build up and goal from Iwan in the final match of the promotion season at Crewe. Every bit as 'technical' and 'cultured' as anything we have seen under Farke.   

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Correct on both counts. And 148 is.................................??????????????????????????

It sounds like it is from the Chase era and has something to do with Chris Sutton? But that is a bit before my time!

1 hour ago, yellowrider120 said:

Correct on both counts. And 148 is.................................??????????????????????????

Polston against Aston Villa?

7 hours ago, ricardo said:

There is only one truly great goal.

IMO it isn't one of those numbers.

My money is on Ron Davies ricardo.

I thought 148 was Bayern too, but what was the choice a few weeks later? Mike Walker left 2 months later but did Chase have a choice in that? Or was it the wrongvchoice of manager to replace Walker?

22 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

Final thought - it's human nature I suppose to automatically assume that the present is superior to the past.

yes, a psychological characteristic of humankind

to attribute to any act that humans maybe capable of

....though always one that is deemed as rather negative