Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

29/04/72 This happened....

108367712_NorwichatWatford19723.jpg.744bc5d1faff9a997a2ca3d981c104d1.jpg

David Stringers goal meant we were Champions of Division 2 for the first time. On the way to the top division for the first time. It was raining. The pitch was a bit cut up because a few thousand of us had ran across to their end which was undercover. Watford fans didn't seem to mind. They didn't say so anyway🙃

562834670_NorwichatWatford19722.jpg.5aaf7879fc94de7001fcaa39ae93a19a.jpg

On the pitch again afterwards.

1551733135_NorwichatWatford1972.jpg.10cff4126826963f8e071509d3bf0832.jpg

Then the players celebrated.

86139098_NorwichatWatford19724.jpg.8411528f58f10f1f5620677e689bc3fd.jpg

Even Ron Saunders had a cigar.

Were you there? Half Norwich seemed to be. Happy days💛💚🙃

Hitch hiked there with the future Mrs KG. A tutor from City College picked us up on Newmarket Road and took us all the way.

Got a lift back and ended up drinking in Thetford in case the pubs were shut in Norwich. Mind you, half of Norwich had the same idea and same pub.

Sat on the pavement after the game cleaning our muddy shoes after the crush outside the stand to worship the players. We must be in that picture somewhere.

Of course we were allocated the open end until there was a rush to the other end and the poor Watford lot had to scarper. I do remember a bobby trying  in vain to stop us and I'm sure his helmet ended up in the net.

I was there, my dad drove. We didn't run across the pitch to take The Rookery, even though it was raining and we got soaked.

What really made it eventful was the fact our car conked out in heavy traffic and having to wait for hours for someone to come out and replace the water pump when very close to Watford!!

I remember we got in early and it just kept filling up.

Some lads kept running onto the pitch to put a balloon onto the centre spot only for a plod to try to chase them off.

I think  the original charge across the pitch was to 'take the rookery' which then followed by a bit of a mass charge, then folk just sedately walking across. We were in the open, the rookery had a roof. Spent the last few minutes on the pitch side with everyone trying to hold back everyone - then over to the tunnel. I was to the left of the photo.

Was given a bottle of Manns brown to drink when we stopped in Newmarket on the way back. City fans everywhere. Was out on the pavement and didn't expect a drink, never mind beer.

Much else I can't recall - until prompted by other's memories. But incredible season as it was the first travelling away was such a part of my life as well as home games.  Picked up by Mascot coaches in Dereham, scarves hanging out of the window, union jack over the rear seat...............

Back then i lived in lodgings at Lakenham and my landlady had a sister who was married to a Watford director who got me a ticket for the directors box and i still have the ticket to this day. Row C Seat 15.

I posted a photo of it on Facebook the other day as i found it by accident when having a clear out but for some reason cannot uplift it onto this forum. Nutty saw it and commented so maybe he might help out ?

Edited by TIL 1010

Thanks for that Nutty but i don't know about prawn sandwich as i think in those days it was more like cheese and pickle.

I think I still have the single that the club released. Anybody else remember the Norwich City calypso? 

I suspect the club had hoped that had disappeared without trace 🤣

I wonder if they'd pay me to lose it ....

Edited by Yellow Fever
Just saw there was an old thread on this..