Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

Otsemobor Joins In The Criticism of Roeder.

2 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

That full Colchester game is up on youtube atm. Fascinating watching it back. First 10 minutes were better than I remember from watching it live and we actually looked like we tried. Sadly there was no organization in play or for set pieces, we were always in a very static 442 shape with no movement or inventiveness but the real issue was 3 players, Theoklitos, Otsemobor and Whalley, 3 players who in my opinion aren't even non league quality. You stick 8 good players out against 11 poor ones and the 8 will struggle every time and so it was in this match, we could've played with 3 unfit, middle aged members of the crown in goal at rb and rm and the game would have played out roughly the same imo. 

The Cm's and CB's looked about what they were, league 1 quality. We had some serious, if overweight and or unfit talent in that team but it was like playing with 8 men and no manager. 

For what it's worth it was 100% Otsemobor fault for the first goal, if Theoklitos had used his hands it would've been a backpass. I know he made himself look daft with that missed punch but if he'd have connected he'd have given away a pen that we would have certainly conceded. 

Disagree. Even watching Theoklitos hesitate because he didn't know if Lisbie was going to get the first touch, there was still time for him to adjust. His miscalculation was horrible for that standard.

6 hours ago, lake district canary said:

How often are we told the first goal is the all important one?  Seeing out the nervous first few minutes, with the game still at 0-0, it could well have played out differently........ 

Let it go LDC.....next you’ll be telling us RVW would have bagged the Golden Boot if only that selfish b*stard Snodgrass had let him take that penalty 😀

4 hours ago, Mello Yello said:

image.jpeg.6f49ac9c422ccef3181586aca12450ff.jpegimage.jpeg.4ae63393ef226958354b78d10f18cc1c.jpeg

.......Glenn Roeder.......                                           ........Matt Bellamy......

T’other way round!

or is that the joke that I missed?

It makes you wonder what would have happened had it not been Colchester we played that day.

Would we have been judged so inept had we lost 1-0 ?

32 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Let it go LDC.....next you’ll be telling us RVW would have bagged the Golden Boot if only that selfish b*stard Snodgrass had let him take that penalty 😀

Welll......stranger things have happened. I still think that was a key moment in his and our season. I reckon he would have scored the penalty and that would have given him a huge boost maybe to get more goals, would have got us at least a point in a game we didn't deserve to lose and with him getting some form, it might have given us just enough impetus to get us over the line by the end of the season.

It was clear from the day Holty left that Snodgrass saw himself as taking on the mantle of being the main man - and that incident proved it beyond doubt.  What's the saying......only walk the walk if you can do the talk?  He couldn't and had no business trying to take the penalty.  Leeds fans warned us he could be a frustrating  and selfish player - indeed when he became captain at Leeds a few months before coming to Norwich, their goals dried up too.......funny that.......

Plenty of talent there, but a fragile temperament covered up by a huge ego and needed strong management....but that's another story........         I wonder how he would have fared under Farke.......suspect he would not get anywhere near the team......

Ok, I'll let it go........

:classic_smile:

9 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

The Cm's and CB's looked about what they were, league 1 quality. We had some serious, if overweight and or unfit talent in that team but it was like playing with 8 men and no manager. 

I thought then, and I think now, that someone from NCFC had spoken to Lambert and Culverhouse in the week leading up to the Colchester match, telling them how weak we were against any side who could really get at us.

To me this is the only explanation of why Colchester went into the game with two up front, (Lisbie and Platt) two genuine attacking wide men (Hackney and Vincent), and two central midfielders who at the time preferred to be on the front foot. They left out their defensive midfielder (Izzett), which was an incredible decision for a humble League One side against a team just down from the Championship. Arguably, Colchester had six attacking players on the pitch. I remember hearing the team news an hour before the game and sending texts saying I couldn't believe the Colchester team. It was completely out of context.

As conspiracy theories go, it's a bit of a brahmah. Possibly, only Culverhouse, Lambert, and (speculatively) McNally, know if there is any truth in it.

10 hours ago, lake district canary said:

How often are we told the first goal is the all important one?  Seeing out the nervous first few minutes, with the game still at 0-0, it could well have played out differently........ 

Literally, the worst take on a game of football that I've ever read. 

I even stayed until the end. At 0-3, I still had a modicum of optimism that we could recover. When the fifth went in, it was evident that I was watching the worst Norwich City performance in living memory and probably the worst goalkeeping performance I'd witnessed since various school or cub matches as an 8 year old. 

Otsemobor would be a fair call to be in a "duffest ever" squad but Theo might only be saved by those that remember Simon Tracey. No, let's be honest, Tracey couldn't save anything, let alone Theoklitos. 

It wasn't all his fault, we were largely dreadful EVERYWHERE. It's hard to believe that the holy trinity of Holt, Hoolahan and Martin were involved; it's harder to imagine that Simon Whaley was really a professional footballer. Utterly deplorable. Holt looked like he couldn't run, Whaley looked like we'd found him 5 minutes previously in Morrisons car park and the defence looked like they'd first met just after the third goal went in. 

That we turned that season into a success is remarkable, especially when you consider that one of the first acts of genius Lambert was to banish Wes and the Doc to training with the kids. Of course, two key players in that recovery so I suppose it worked, but, Christ, the first goal being the problem that day? 

Cooooody did score though...

15 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

We had some serious, if overweight and or unfit talent in that team but it was like playing with 8 men and no manager. 

I think the fitness think is what got the trigger pulled so swiftly on Gunn. I remember reading McNally came in and was shocked at how pre-season was being run.

5 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Literally, the worst take on a game of football that I've ever read.

I even stayed until the end. At 0-3, I still had a modicum of optimism that we could recover. When the fifth went in, it was evident that I was watching the worst Norwich City performance in living memory and probably the worst goalkeeping performance I'd witnessed since various school or cub matches as an 8 year old. 

Otsemobor would be a fair call to be in a "duffest ever" squad but Theo might only be saved by those that remember Simon Tracey. No, let's be honest, Tracey couldn't save anything, let alone Theoklitos. 

It wasn't all his fault, we were largely dreadful EVERYWHERE.

It was a freak result.  Yes they all looked rubbish, but before Colchester scored we looked ok and if you do stuff like Otmesbor did to a new keeper in his first competitive match, it was bound to affect the Aussie's confidence.  By 2-0 his confidence was shot, so fragile, yes - a bit like McGovern at Brighton a few years ago - but he rode that and is still with us.  Theo went back to Aussie land and carried on being the best keeper there.

Colchester were rampant, true, but we were like rabbits in the headlights - the kind of thing that can happen on the first day of a season with a totally new squad, huge expectation and crowd.  It would not have happened again and yes, at 0-0 it would have been a different game. I agree it was the worst performance from a team, but circumstances came together to make it so - history in the making.   Otmesbor's clanger was the catalyst for the house of cards to fall down, but the match as a whole was a freak.

27 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Theo’s wife was a fitty though..

That one passed me by FF, any photos ?

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

It was a freak result.  Yes they all looked rubbish, but before Colchester scored we looked ok and if you do stuff like Otmesbor did to a new keeper in his first competitive match, it was bound to affect the Aussie's confidence.  By 2-0 his confidence was shot, so fragile, yes - a bit like McGovern at Brighton a few years ago - but he rode that and is still with us.  Theo went back to Aussie land and carried on being the best keeper there.

Colchester were rampant, true, but we were like rabbits in the headlights - the kind of thing that can happen on the first day of a season with a totally new squad, huge expectation and crowd.  It would not have happened again and yes, at 0-0 it would have been a different game. I agree it was the worst performance from a team, but circumstances came together to make it so - history in the making.   Otmesbor's clanger was the catalyst for the house of cards to fall down, but the match as a whole was a freak.

Oh please. This is not a nursery. There was plenty of scope for Theoklitis to rectify a high/bouncing ball. Otsemobor was not his minder.

57 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Oh, hang on 

7344AD12-7283-4A35-A463-198534F5620E.jpeg

I will add that to my catalogue, cheers for that.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

I will add that to my catalogue, cheers for that.

In the "Overdressed" section?

Edited by wcorkcanary