Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

Otsemobor Joins In The Criticism of Roeder.

Surely the most disliked managers we've ever had - it's unusual for so many players to speak out so publicly about someone in such a negative way.

If you listen to the podcast, it's interesting to hear how his experiences at Newcastle influenced his management style at City. The NCFC part of the discussion is around the 1hr 22min mark

7 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I've never forgiven Otsemobor for that back pass to Theoklitis.........

Yeah that made all the difference to the result Lakey. 😂

18 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:
27 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Yeah that made all the difference to the result Lakey. 

Yeah, I know, we were abysmal across the park, but then if he hadn't done that, it would still have been 0-0 and a different game might have developed........

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Yeah, I know, we were abysmal across the park, but then if he hadn't done that, it would still have been 0-0 and a different game might have developed........

Oh my lord...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Of course, LDC, it was an impossible back pass, that no goalkeeper in the World could be expected to deal competently with. 

• Haha 1

I would say that there's a theme developing here with all these ex-players joining the fans in making these kind of comments, but I think we've all known or at least suspected this for a decade.

Can we get the views of Shackell or Lappin next? I remember reading that they both had issues with Roeder, so that would be an interesting read.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

12 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I would say that there's a theme developing here with all these ex-players joining the fans in making these kind of comments, but I think we've all known or at least suspected this for a decade.

Can we get the views of Shackell or Lappin next? I remember reading that they both had issues with Roeder, so that would be an interesting read.

Despite Roeder's abysmal treatment of him it was good to see Simon Lappin having the last laugh ..............and Shackell is still plying his trade in the EFL 11 years after Roeder was sacked 😏

A great listen to that. Otsemobor gives a real honest account across his whole career (not just Norwich), I also didn't realise just how strong his Liverpool accent was!

He gives an overall good impression of his time at Norwich though, despite his highs and lows, much to his credit. He said he enjoyed his time at Norwich and still has a house down this way (despite never actually coming back). Said the players despised Glenn Roeder, who was basically faking being a rant and rave manager. 

Chris Brown is also on the same podcast and agreed with everything he said although didn't comment too much other than browning his pants when he first saw Dion Dublin in the training ground after squaring up to him (half-mistakenly) the previous season whilst playing for Sunderland. Both of them loved Dion though who confirmed what everyone knows about him, a machine that you wouldn't mess with but also incredibly genuine person, 'a father figure to everyone' Otsemobor said. 

Brown wasn't with us long and seems to give off an impression that he didn't really like it (no surprise given the time he was there) but Otsemobor, perhaps surprisingly, gives a really good account of the club. 

1 minute ago, Bovril said:

Brown wasn't with us long and seems to give off an impression that he didn't really like it (no surprise given the time he was there)

Not surprising really and you can't blame him. He was absolutely shocking for us, and I'd still rate him as the worst player I've seen wear yellow and green. It's no wonder there isn't much mutual affection there as it was a bad time for both the player and the club.

He scored of course on a return with Preston and baited the Barclay I recall.

It is funny how managers get remembered.

The initial bounce when Roeder came in was pretty amazing- we went from looking like relegation certainties to thinking about play-offs before we tailed off and finished 17th. Then came the Huckerby situation, the ridiculous transfer strategy and his inability to play nice with the fans and it all fell apart.

8 minutes ago, king canary said:

It is funny how managers get remembered.

The initial bounce when Roeder came in was pretty amazing- we went from looking like relegation certainties to thinking about play-offs before we tailed off and finished 17th. Then came the Huckerby situation, the ridiculous transfer strategy and his inability to play nice with the fans and it all fell apart.

This is Roeder's career in a nutshell. His 'Mr Nasty' approach gets immediate results for a couple of months as it gives underperforming players a kick up the backside, but after that initial period it becomes apparent that he is a total **** and everything falls apart.

2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

This is Roeder's career in a nutshell. His 'Mr Nasty' approach gets immediate results for a couple of months as it gives underperforming players a kick up the backside, but after that initial period it becomes apparent that he is a total **** and everything falls apart.

Bit like Tim Sherwood in that respect.

If he'd have left at the end of that initial season I think he'd be remembered pretty fondly. For me he's still only the third-worst manager we've had in my memory.

15 minutes ago, king canary said:

Bit like Tim Sherwood in that respect.

If he'd have left at the end of that initial season I think he'd be remembered pretty fondly. For me he's still only the third-worst manager we've had in my memory.

He's far from the worst, but he seems to be the only one that the fans have a genuine contempt for.

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Yes, a 6-1 hammering would have almost seemed like a win.😀

Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

He's far from the worst, but he seems to be the only one that the fans have a genuine contempt for.

Oh yeah- he just came across as so unlikeable and he seemed to relish burning the bridges with fans at times.

Grant (the worst in my opinion) always came across as a guy who cared and tried his best. Gunn (second worst) was a club legend who just wasn't a manager. Roeder needed a good PR guy to tell him to shut the **** up at times.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Oh yeah- he just came across as so unlikeable and he seemed to relish burning the bridges with fans at times.

Grant (the worst in my opinion) always came across as a guy who cared and tried his best. Gunn (second worst) was a club legend who just wasn't a manager. Roeder needed a good PR guy to tell him to shut the **** up at times.

I agree wholeheartedly with your ranking of managers and also your comments on them.

3 hours ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Of course, LDC, it was an impossible back pass, that no goalkeeper in the World could be expected to deal competently with. 

Be fair, that one was on Otsemober.

Although the difference would have been 6-1 instead of 7-1.

Our pre-season was a shambles, Gunn was clueless and Theo wouldn't have got in the Lowestoft team. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

2 hours ago, ......and Smith must score. said:
5 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Yes, a 6-1 hammering would have almost seemed like a win.

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Be fair, that one was on Otsemober.

Although the difference would have been 6-1 instead of 7-1.

Our pre-season was a shambles and Gunn was clueless. 

How often are we told the first goal is the all important one?  Seeing out the nervous first few minutes, with the game still at 0-0, it could well have played out differently........ 

Otsemober is as thick as two short planks. 

He had all the physical and technical attributes to be a top player but no common sense or footballing brain. 

I think Roeder should get a right to reply with these public slaggings, have Archant approached him? 

4 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I think Norwich City should get a right to reply with these public slaggings, have Archant approached them? 

Fixed it for you TVB.

That full Colchester game is up on youtube atm. Fascinating watching it back. First 10 minutes were better than I remember from watching it live and we actually looked like we tried. Sadly there was no organization in play or for set pieces, we were always in a very static 442 shape with no movement or inventiveness but the real issue was 3 players, Theoklitos, Otsemobor and Whalley, 3 players who in my opinion aren't even non league quality. You stick 8 good players out against 11 poor ones and the 8 will struggle every time and so it was in this match, we could've played with 3 unfit, middle aged members of the crown in goal at rb and rm and the game would have played out roughly the same imo. 

The Cm's and CB's looked about what they were, league 1 quality. We had some serious, if overweight and or unfit talent in that team but it was like playing with 8 men and no manager. 

For what it's worth it was 100% Otsemobor fault for the first goal, if Theoklitos had used his hands it would've been a backpass. I know he made himself look daft with that missed punch but if he'd have connected he'd have given away a pen that we would have certainly conceded. 

image.jpeg.6f49ac9c422ccef3181586aca12450ff.jpegimage.jpeg.4ae63393ef226958354b78d10f18cc1c.jpeg

.......Glenn Roeder.......                                           ........Matt Bellamy......

• Haha 1