pete

9th June d Day for PL

3 hours ago, JF said:

Gary Neville is getting increasingly frustrated and vocal about football returning 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/11507856/neville-people-die-football/amp/

He’s right.

That Sun poll was interesting, I know it’s nothing to go by really, especially after a leading article, but it had 80% approval for cancelling the season.

5 hours ago, JF said:

It’s restarting. Common opinion from journalists is that the government is pushing this through as they want it to happen.and the PL want their money. The government need to answer serious questions on why other countries governments and science advisors see football returning as a danger to public health but ours are pushing it through 

Listening to Raab at today's briefing i cant see it starting. They are really talking strongly now on avoiding a 2nd wave of virus cases / deaths when, as Raab even said today, they are still coming thru the peak. Seeing to how many are still dying daily, i cannot see this lockdown being eased much at all for some time to come...time is running out fast for any restart to this season. Really do get the feeling it only needs one  more of the big  nations to follow France and the rest will follow suit quickly and curtail this season for good.

5 minutes ago, Essjayess said:

Listening to Raab at today's briefing i cant see it starting. They are really talking strongly now on avoiding a 2nd wave of virus cases / deaths when, as Raab even said today, they are still coming thru the peak. Seeing to how many are still dying daily, i cannot see this lockdown being eased much at all for some time to come...time is running out fast for any restart to this season. Really do get the feeling it only needs one  more of the big  nations to follow France and the rest will follow suit quickly and curtail this season for good.

Just posted this in another thread but if true then this could be the end of any PL hopes 

• Like 2

Once players realise that the risk of close contact sport where the immediate atmosphere is riddled with virus particles thats puts them at a similar risk to a frontline NHS worker they'll probably think twice about playing. It only takes one and it will be like a pack of cards.

Perhaps some clubs will go to the wall but nobody really cares. Football is trivial at this present time.

23 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Football is trivial at this present time.

This ^^^    Football is not an important thing at the moment and talk of rushing it back behind closed doors is against the public mood and distinctly tacky. It should only start when fans are allowed to go to matches and that means when it is safe to do so, which could be a long time. Once the PL accepts that, then we might get a realistic strategy from them - a strategy that can adapt to changing situations, meaning all options still on the table.  

52 minutes ago, JF said:

Just posted this in another thread but if true then this could be the end of any PL hopes 

Signs this week that the Italian FA may be moving towards scrapping their season.

Is our society that sick and self centred that it wants to dishonour the lives of everyone, especially NHS staff who have died by risking other lives to play out football matches for half a dozen clubs?

• Like 5

UEFA and EPL becoming increasingly isolated on a restart. 

In my mind players shouldn't be allowed to resume training until it is safe to so and the country has relaxed restrictions for all low risk people. The inference is footballers and all the support crew would be given priority testing compared to other cohorts. This would be a disgrace.

The UK has the 2nd worst death rate in Europe and one of the highest in the world. This is not the time to be playing football whatever the format.

• Like 3

Interestingly even the BBC are now questioning the ethics of a PL restart. 
When Boris speaks today ( based on Sturgeons comments last night ) I guess he will be saying we are in this for a while yet. Germany of course seem to be the straw that has broke the camels back. As we could well have the worst outcome in the world can he really then say but to cheer you all up I am going to let the PL start again.

There wouldn’t be death to the same extremes but are footballers being asked to entertain the Country at the risk to their own lives ?
Would that message not also say to some, if footballers don’t need to social distance nor do I.

11 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Is our society that sick and self centred that it wants to dishonour the lives of everyone, especially NHS staff who have died by risking other lives to play out football matches for half a dozen clubs?

Seems so 🤷‍♂️

16 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Interestingly even the BBC are now questioning the ethics of a PL restart. 
When Boris speaks today ( based on Sturgeons comments last night ) I guess he will be saying we are in this for a while yet. Germany of course seem to be the straw that has broke the camels back. As we could well have the worst outcome in the world can he really then say but to cheer you all up I am going to let the PL start again.

There wouldn’t be death to the same extremes but are footballers being asked to entertain the Country at the risk to their own lives ?
Would that message not also say to some, if footballers don’t need to social distance nor do I.

Ya...talking of Germany, which is in no doubt now streets ahead of the UK in the dealings of this virus, have all but stopped any plans for easing their lockdown after just 4 days of increased new cases and also extended their ban on worldwide air travel now to June 14th..and seeing as how they are way further down the path of success against the virus than the UK is, it is easy to see that here at home we have a pretty long  road ahead still to get  on top of this virus impact...it is virtually imcomprehensible to see how any...any at all...restart of football is possible here for a considerably long time.

March and April have already  flown by...its high time more defining decisions are reached for football in this country so clubs and the authorities associated with them can at least make a start on trying to make plans for the present, never mind the future.

Looks like Germany may tighten up the lockdown again after relaxing a few restrictions as a second wave looks on the cards there so Bundesliga will be a non starter.

Stress, depression, bankruptcy, suicides, domestic violence, alcoholism, crime, medical stagnation and so on .... I'm far from being in agreement with the odious Peter Hitchens but this lockdown cannot last much longer in it's present form if we are to aspire to some sort of normality once the plague is beaten.

Bread and circuses was, I recall, the Roman answer when the populace needed assuaging in times of hardship.

Sport would seem the ideal avenue to pursue in this respect. I therefore admire all attempts at utilising such a safety valve no matter how impossible, unreal or unsavoury it clearly will be. Just as long as it's not unhealthy.

2 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Stress, depression, bankruptcy, suicides, domestic violence, alcoholism, crime, medical stagnation and so on .... I'm far from being in agreement with the odious Peter Hitchens but this lockdown cannot last much longer in it's present form if we are to aspire to some sort of normality once the plague is beaten.

Bread and circuses was, I recall, the Roman answer when the populace needed assuaging in times of hardship.

Sport would seem the ideal avenue to pursue in this respect. I therefore admire all attempts at utilising such a safety valve no matter how impossible, unreal or unsavoury it clearly will be. Just as long as it's not unhealthy.

So that will all be put right by sitting in your armchair watching it on the tellybox ?

• Like 1

Who knows?

I don't recall claiming that it will be "put right" and I don't have an armchair.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Who know's?

Isn't that the pertinent question Broady? No-one knows. And I believe that if you don't know about something, you shouldn't take it for granted. And you certainly shouldn't disrespect it.

2 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Who know's?

Isn't that the pertinent question Broady? No-one knows. And I believe that if you don't know about something, you shouldn't take it for granted. And you certainly shouldn't disrespect it.

Can I have a translation please? I will probably be able to agree with you when I fully understand the point you make.

Can I have a translation please? I will probably be able to agree with you when I fully understand the point you make.

This virus has from time to time, baffled the science. There is still no clear evidence about it. Just because NZ has done better than us doesn't mean they weren't just plain lucky apart from the way their Government handled it. I lived in NZ and it is not the Europe or the US. Housing and lifestyle are different from ours and the fact that, a left wing PM, acted so quickly and sternly, gave it a better chance of subduing. There are less care homes for example.

The UK is a bit sheepish in its attitude in that it is following rather than leading. And the chance of a second wave is far more possible here than NZ.

So until there is a clear and definitive course of action to handle the virus, I do not think we can afford to mess with relaxing one bit. I won't go into details but my family is losing money everyday from lockdown. But they realise that they may well be in deeper joy if this virus is not dealt with firmly and hopefully finally.

Ligue 1 apparently finalised based on points per game with PSG declared champions and relegation still taking place.

I hope the club is already taking advice as to how to head off this as an outcome for the  premier league. We should absolutely not accept and should vehemently oppose any suggestion of this being applied in England. 

30 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

This virus has from time to time, baffled the science. There is still no clear evidence about it. Just because NZ has done better than us doesn't mean they weren't just plain lucky apart from the way their Government handled it. I lived in NZ and it is not the Europe or the US. Housing and lifestyle are different from ours and the fact that, a left wing PM, acted so quickly and sternly, gave it a better chance of subduing. There are less care homes for example.

The UK is a bit sheepish in its attitude in that it is following rather than leading. And the chance of a second wave is far more possible here than NZ.

So until there is a clear and definitive course of action to handle the virus, I do not think we can afford to mess with relaxing one bit. I won't go into details but my family is losing money everyday from lockdown. But they realise that they may well be in deeper joy if this virus is not dealt with firmly and hopefully finally.

Thanks for that.

It's impossible to disagree with you until it becomes necessary to be faced with the human cost of the block .... mentally, physically and economically.

Trump has said one single sensible thing since this whole problem surfaced with words to the effect that we must not let the cure cause more problems than the disease.

This  is actually likely the way things are going.

For the record I am in favour of the lockdown (who isn't) and agree with it's perpetuation, but that view doesn't mean that seeking safe ways come to society's relief need not be admired ... even if it is based upon the greed of the Premier League.  Any sport really:

"Mens sana in corpore sano." 

Any port in a storm and all that.  

Besides I've just got through the full first series of "Black Crows" (the demise of Isis) on Netflix and that's surely even more depressing than watching City being thumped by Bournemouth in an empty ground.

Edited by BroadstairsR

10 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Ligue 1 apparently finalised based on points per game with PSG declared champions and relegation still taking place.

I hope the club is already taking advice as to how to head off this as an outcome for the  premier league. We should absolutely not accept and should vehemently oppose any suggestion of this being applied in England. 

Never mind all that Jimbo,  all this posturing about getting the league finished is exactly that, posturing. It's all for show,  so  that when common sense eventually prevails and its announced that there is no chance of completion,  the FA can say that they tried everything they could .

To quote Ricardo(o) ....Events will overtake  this.

As for promo/ relegation  , I couldn't care less as long as the Club itself manages to survive.  Populist announcements by the govt that footy is good for morale, while not untrue, are an insult to anyone and everyone who is actively involved in serving the country in a real a d practical manner. 

No way should any human or material resources that could be used for the common good be used for the good of football. 

1 minute ago, wcorkcanary said:

Never mind all that Jimbo,  all this posturing about getting the league finished is exactly that, posturing. It's all for show,  so  that when common sense eventually prevails and its announced that there is no chance of completion,  the FA can say that they tried everything they could .

To quote Ricardo(o) ....Events will overtake  this.

As for promo/ relegation  , I couldn't care less as long as the Club itself manages to survive.  Populist announcements by the govt that footy is good for morale, while not untrue, are an insult to anyone and everyone who is actively involved in serving the country in a real a d practical manner. 

No way should any human or material resources that could be used for the common good be used for the good of football. 

I don't think the league should be finished either. I think it should be abandoned but I do not think we should accept relegation based on current standards. It would be unjust and damaging for our club and whilst I absolutely get the "football is not important in the grand scheme of things" this is not a time for the club or fanbase to adopt a "couldn't care less what league we are in" approach. We need to fight our corner.

I see according to the Daily Mail the latest stipulation of Project Restart, along with players being locked in a hotel for nearly two months and with having to wear masks or hoods on the pitch, is that if a player contacts the virus  his team will have to play on regardless.

We are already a long way through the looking-glass but I would hope our club would decide the moral thing to do, rather than indulge in a quite unnecessary sporting contest while a colleague was potentially fighting for their life, would be to make their excuses and leave.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I don't think the league should be finished either. I think it should be abandoned but I do not think we should accept relegation based on current standards. It would be unjust and damaging for our club and whilst I absolutely get the "football is not important in the grand scheme of things" this is not a time for the club or fanbase to adopt a "couldn't care less what league we are in" approach. We need to fight our corner.

Kind of agree, but also a realist, the position we were in pre suspension of footy was pretty dire, realistic chances of survival virtually nil.  I still wanted us to get out of it but had started to accept that we wont. I dont see negotiations on how the league finishes to be an opportunity to stay up, although  I wouldn't be  averse to it. Same as I wouldn't feel too hard done by if they decide we're  down. Ambivalent at best, is how I feel. If we are relegated on a decision , there will be compensation of some form at least,  it may even be better for the Club to drop regroup and ' go again'...it may not , so much is in doubt that it's hard to see the wood for the trees.

I have a sneaky suspicion  that  the future financial arrangements may be decreased...thereby making it more attractive for relegated clubs to accept it now rather than stay I  the league with decreased payments and parachute. 

3 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Kind of agree, but also a realist, the position we were in pre suspension of footy was pretty dire, realistic chances of survival virtually nil.  I still wanted us to get out of it but had started to accept that we wont. I dont see negotiations on how the league finishes to be an opportunity to stay up, although  I wouldn't be  averse to it. Same as I wouldn't feel too hard done by if they decide we're  down. Ambivalent at best, is how I feel. If we are relegated on a decision , there will be compensation of some form at least,  it may even be better for the Club to drop regroup and ' go again'...it may not , so much is in doubt that it's hard to see the wood for the trees.

I have a sneaky suspicion  that  the future financial arrangements may be decreased...thereby making it more attractive for relegated clubs to accept it now rather than stay I  the league with decreased payments and parachute. 

Well the EFL are now briefing clubs in the championship that it is unlikely to be finished due to the logistics/testing requirements. If that is the case then I would maintain that it would not be fair or reasonable for us to have to surrender our place in the premier league to a club that has not actually won promotion over a full season. I really hope we would stick to our guns over that. 

• Like 1

I put the following on another thread.

I don't know if I am suggesting something that has been mooted before but I was talking, on the phone I might add, to a mate who is a Liverpool supporter. Doesn't go to home games but lots of the away ones.

To appease Liverpool for now and WBA and Leeds. End the season. Kind of null and void it but retain the points, Play next season from the beginning whenever that may be and at the finish, add on the points from this season. That way the advantage sides had this season would not be gone for ever and this season could be ended and the lower league clubs unload all their out of contract players, 50% of the league apparently, on 30 June and save money.

Forget European football. It isn't going to happen next season in any normal format. Organise something akin for TV if you like but return to both Uefa Comps in 21/22.