pete

Press considers resumption unlikely

2 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

but recent announcements make me feel that they want to get this season finished

welcome on board

it is the sheer black hole of null and void that has driven this - football cannot sustain that huge loss of income which sustains the rest of the pyramid

if the agreements were not already in place none of the above would be spoken of, nor would  training have re-started

8 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

We should not be agreeing to anything until the premier league explains how it proposes to deal with relegation and promotion and the championship also explains how it intends to conclude. If the championship cannot conclude then there is now way in the world we should allow any team from that division to take our place in the premier league without an almighty fight. I am dubious that we should agree to conclude the season behind closed doors full stop but if we do then it must be conditional on the championship also completing or subject to agreement that there is not going to be relegation as per the German discussions. 

If the PL want this “festival of football” at neutral venues with 3 games a week with 5 subs ect and say there will be no relegation because the goal posts have moved, but by finishing we secure the tv rights then by all means we do it. If our PL future is on the line in this ludicrous idea then hell no 

Edited by JF

4 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Did he really say Brexit wouldn't happen?😉

I think so, maybe I should trawl through all his old posts( there's not that many really) and check.

15 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

I think so, maybe I should trawl through all his old posts( there's not that many really) and check.

look out for the ones where he said that the UK would not leave the single market, the customs union, still be subject to the ECJ

still part of them, and for the foreseeable

just as paying the 'membership' fees

come back when those claims are met, as having abide by the rules and not have a say i rather the opposite of what was claimed 😋

but at least it is another distraction - a quite favoured ploy of bigots

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Cant have done as that would make him wrong.

You're gonna have to prove it before I believe it.

That would be a hard post to find .

2 minutes ago, Bill said:

look out for the ones where he said that the UK would not leave the single market, the customs union, still be subject to the ECJ

still part of them, and for the foreseeable

just as paying the 'membership' fees

come back when those claims are met, as having abide by the rules and not have a say i rather the opposite of what was claimed 😋

but at least it is another distraction - a quite favoured ploy of bigots

Whataboutery is the cousin of distraction Billo. Careful that you are not hoisted by your own Petard. 

24 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Did he really say Brexit wouldn't happen?😉

29 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Blimey footballers fall like a sack of spuds when they get pushed. Now they are brave enough to want to risk it. I give up.

Wait for the first player to spit. Will the ref send him off?

I think players will have to learn to swallow rather than spit. They could get the WAGS to help them with that that one.

10 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

I can only see us getting scr*wed here Broadstairs. I can see the Cup getting abandoned and a contrived solution resulting in our relegation. Unfortunately such is the financial situation I fear the club might accept such a solution if it means payment of the tv monies even if it results in relegation. 

I can see that too. As Leeds & WBA are 7 & 6 points plus GD ahead of Fulham respectively, I can see a contrived "relegate two, promote two" compromise being struck. The PL will get their "big team" and Villa down, WBA back up will maintain "regional balance" or some other nonsense. 

I couldn't care less what league we are in after this season. My main concern is the shape of the Club, whatever the league.  

Unless something very odd happens, I doubt we'd be spending much this summer or have too many ready to step up to the prem,  so another season in the Prem would be another struggle, which I dont mind, I never expected us to win it untill next season ,even without Covid19 hindering our progress.  So I'll put my title hopes on hold for another 12months....unless of course we are relegated  then it will be mandatory,  but  not compulsory, as they  said about ID cards in ireland. Go figure that out. ...The ID card bit.

3 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

We should not be agreeing to anything until the premier league explains how it proposes to deal with relegation and promotion and the championship also explains how it intends to conclude. If the championship cannot conclude then there is now way in the world we should allow any team from that division to take our place in the premier league without an almighty fight. I am dubious that we should agree to conclude the season behind closed doors full stop but if we do then it must be conditional on the championship also completing or subject to agreement that there is not going to be relegation as per the German discussions. 

I agree with all that, Jim. There is a strong argument that if the Premier League finishes behind closed doors on neutral grounds and perhaps with five subs then the. competition has lost this much-prized ‘integrity’ and so nothing serious can be decided as a result. If the top sides are happy for the euro places to be settled that way fine, but clubs should not be relegated, irrespective of what happens in the Championship. 

1 hour ago, Surfer said:

I can see that too. As Leeds & WBA are 7 & 6 points plus GD ahead of Fulham respectively, I can see a contrived "relegate two, promote two" compromise being struck. The PL will get their "big team" and Villa down, WBA back up will maintain "regional balance" or some other nonsense. 

It's far more likely that there will be no relegations from the PL than for this to happen if the season doesn't get completed.

Tweet from Accrington Stanley’s Chairman, Andy Holt

EFL answering no questions.

Many clubs go bust if next season is behind closed doors.

And many will go bust paying players wages if next season doesn’t start.

@EFL are doing nothing to allay my fears.

They’re hanging around waiting for prem before moving.

1 hour ago, JF said:

Tweet from Accrington Stanley’s Chairman, Andy Holt

EFL answering no questions.

Many clubs go bust if next season is behind closed doors.

And many will go bust paying players wages if next season doesn’t start.

@EFL are doing nothing to allay my fears.

They’re hanging around waiting for prem before moving.

No surprises there, if the PL cannot complete the season then there is no point in the EFL finishing.

It's only those teams with a chance of promotion to the PL that will be determined to finish no matter what due to the lure of the promised land.

The PL and EFL are separate businesses so if the PL decides its over and there are no relegations what's the point of finishing the Championship.

The problem is that whilst there is this hope of starting again this is delaying decisions taking place and as some of the chairmen of lower leagues have stated, delaying and playing behind closed doors is worse than null & void for the smaller teams as they need revenue of gate receipts.

Starting games to early and then the risk of a second postponement is not viable for them, they would prefer it to stop until it's safe to return so they can make decisions now generate some revenue with fans.

I agree with the above and the problem with the fixating on getting it finished and playing behind closed doors is that this seems to be being pursued at the expense of sitting down with the broadcasters and coming up with some sort of meaningful agreement that sees any money due back to them spread over the next 1 or 2 seasons. That should have been the first focus. Take that pressure off and then everyone packs everything in until July and focuses on starting next season as close to the originally planned start date as they could.

Instead we've had this "its essential we finish the season" nonsense from the off. 

I know that we have a slightly vested interest in this in the sense that we may get an undeserved reprieve and that will obviously influence our thinking on this but I really feel that those in football need to get real here. I also think that its not just about the premier league finishing because unless all 4 divisions can finish then I don't see how you can have promotion and relegation which in trun renders finishing the leagues pretty pointless.

Let's get the kids and teens back to school and certain elements of industry to start semi-functioning again - before they even think about kickysoccerfootyball....

• Like 1

Big thing with the French decision is that PSG now cannot play their Champions League Quarter Final before September. Way after UEFA’s plan to play the final on 29th (?) August. 

Do they now withdraw from the CL or play their home leg outside France? Where is the integrity of the CL competition after this?

It really seems quite clear to me that they need to be doing a deal with t he broadcasters over the rest of this season (give them some extra games next season or spread any money due to be repaid over the next 4 payments due) and football should just shut up shop until later in the year.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

It really seems quite clear to me that they need to be doing a deal with t he broadcasters over the rest of this season (give them some extra games next season or spread any money due to be repaid over the next 4 payments due) and football should just shut up shop until later in the year.

Or why doesn't Sky think outside the box and make more games available on the red button and attract more customers.

I have a season ticket at carrow road and won't give up even if I can watch matches at home, however I don't go away and would happily add Sky sports to my package if I could watch the away games, as I suspect would many others (fee dependent of course).

9 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Or why doesn't Sky think outside the box and make more games available on the red button and attract more customers.

I have a season ticket at carrow road and won't give up even if I can watch matches at home, however I don't go away and would happily add Sky sports to my package if I could watch the away games, as I suspect would many others (fee dependent of course).

As I understand it Sky have already indicated they are willing to think outside the box and not destroy the product that essentially underpins a huge chunk of their business. I don't think they will be a problem. There are other foreign broadcasters as well but they would be stupid not to do some sort of deal. I very much suspect that the keenness to finish the season rests equally with the premier league themselves who will want max flexibility when negotiating their next tv deal rather than be already tied to sky for a longer period of time. 

1 hour ago, Hairy Canary said:

Big thing with the French decision is that PSG now cannot play their Champions League Quarter Final before September. Way after UEFA’s plan to play the final on 29th (?) August. 

Do they now withdraw from the CL or play their home leg outside France? Where is the integrity of the CL competition after this?

It doesn't seem difficult to me that all competitions should be null and void. During the war they played football but it didn't count for anything. Is it really going to put the world of its axis if football has no results for this season? 

That football clubs survive is far more important than what league they are in or what trophy they win.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

As I understand it Sky have already indicated they are willing to think outside the box and not destroy the product that essentially underpins a huge chunk of their business. I don't think they will be a problem. There are other foreign broadcasters as well but they would be stupid not to do some sort of deal. I very much suspect that the keenness to finish the season rests equally with the premier league themselves who will want max flexibility when negotiating their next tv deal rather than be already tied to sky for a longer period of time. 

Then the sensible decision is to not rush back, give this virus and country longer to get sorted with the aim of starting again fresh in September.

All the noise from the lower leagues is that this is the best option as playing behind closed doors is worse so I really do wonder why the PL are so adamant to force the point, can't just be the money.

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

It doesn't seem difficult to me that all competitions should be null and void. During the war they played football but it didn't count for anything. Is it really going to put the world of its axis if football has no results for this season? 

That football clubs survive is far more important than what league they are in or what trophy they win.

Totally agree KG. If I’d had my way it would have happened some time ago. I’m hoping that the French decision will result in PSG having to pull out of the CL and that will be the catalyst, at last, for UEFA to wake up and understand the enormity of the situation. 

• Like 1

Football is a spectator sport and it is ridiculous to think of playing behind closed doors regularly in the heat just to suit Sky. They have already gained far too much control over the game and the huge influx of overseas players attracted by the money has in my opinion made no improvements in the entertainment value. As anybody who has had dealings with Sky, they are a difficult and tough company to deal with, and they will have to sit down and compromise with all interested parties. The players will also have to take a realistic and sensible approach to any wage cuts. It has to be null and void and gear up for a full and normal start in September.

12 hours ago, vos said:

Football is a spectator sport and it is ridiculous to think of playing behind closed doors regularly in the heat just to suit Sky. They have already gained far too much control over the game and the huge influx of overseas players attracted by the money has in my opinion made no improvements in the entertainment value. As anybody who has had dealings with Sky, they are a difficult and tough company to deal with, and they will have to sit down and compromise with all interested parties. The players will also have to take a realistic and sensible approach to any wage cuts. It has to be null and void and gear up for a full and normal start in September.

Agreed. And sky being overly difficult over this would be self defeating. Without premier league football in the future their business would be scr*wed. They should and I am sure will be mindful of that and flexible about rolling over and repayments due to next season(s).

SKY need to remember most only have it for the Sport. I reckon they would lose at least half of their subscribers if they lost football. There are other platforms out there who have the technology that was once exclusive to SKY.