Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Portsmouth 1975

I had emigrated to NZ in September 1974 and only saw a couple of games at the start of that season. I used to get up early in NZ to get the football results. And I must admit I was bricking that day. Would we beat Pompey? I leapt around that morning believe me. I used to write down all the 1st Division results and work out a league table. Next season, Mum had the Pinkuns sent out to me.

I was following on the radio. Sunderland were the team that could overtake us and we were 1-0 up and I think Sunderland were drawing, and in the space of a minute or so in the second half the reports came in that we had scored a second and Sunderland were now losing.

What a team that was for the second division. Boyer, Macdougall, Peters, Maguire, Suggett, Keelan...….

Not the friendliest reception from the locals, I seem to recall.  Running battles throughout the match.

My first game - I was nine years old. We lived near Southampton. I remember my father going to the league cup final against Spurs but I was too young to go with him. We went in a terraced paddock in front of the stand in which the camera was sited for that film. The stand to our left was the Portsmouth home end (Fratton End?) and most of our fans were in the end to our right (Milton End?) but in that paddock we had a fair few as well - we outnumbered them where I was, which was towards the Fratton End. I don’t think my father or me knew we were promoted at the end - we probably didn’t know the other results. I’ve also heard it was a bit lively off the pitch that day, but I didn’t see anything.

It was 45 year ago but I seem to remember that early in the first half  "Bernie" got quite excited with a Pompey naval squaddie who claimed he was from Ipswich.

I think  I remember listening to the radio in the ground and finding out that they were 2 down whilst we were 3 up so a canter in the end.

1 hour ago, marinersawan said:

My first game - I was nine years old. We lived near Southampton. I remember my father going to the league cup final against Spurs but I was too young to go with him. We went in a terraced paddock in front of the stand in which the camera was sited for that film. The stand to our left was the Portsmouth home end (Fratton End?) and most of our fans were in the end to our right (Milton End?) but in that paddock we had a fair few as well - we outnumbered them where I was, which was towards the Fratton End. I don’t think my father or me knew we were promoted at the end - we probably didn’t know the other results. I’ve also heard it was a bit lively off the pitch that day, but I didn’t see anything.

It was lively for sure. We couldn't get back to where our Mascot coach was waiting but luckily we recognised a pub we'd passed on the way in so we waited there and when a Mascot coach came by we flagged it down. They let us on because they had 2 spare seats. Lucky or what....

🙃