Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

What is the point of testing

Negative - you might get it

you’ve had it - negative - you might get it again

positive - get the hell out BUT you might get it again

So everybody’s in the same boat

I'm not going to dismiss this so easily.

To the majority of us it probably doesn't make any difference ad we should be staying at home regardless.

It doesn't actually matter that much to hospitals either as they cannot treat the illness only the symptoms.  

It could help key workers distinguish between  mild cold and covid ( and thus whether they can work) but since there aren't many colds around at the moment it probably doesn't matter much here either.

The real value is probably in monitoring on an aggregate level but granted tight now at the individual level it's probably interesting and reassuring but not much else.

I'm not sure if these tests could be stored away for later use or if it's time in machine and people that is limited but if so it does seem stupid to try to hit an arbitrary targets and risk future stocks 

I think the idea at the moment is rather it being able to tell if a person is/has been symptomatic or a family member has, and it’s negative they can work. I think it’s more a test now for when restrictions are lifted to allow the public in general to work.

23 minutes ago, City 2nd said:

I think the idea at the moment is rather it being able to tell if a person is/has been symptomatic or a family member has, and it’s negative they can work. I think it’s more a test now for when restrictions are lifted to allow the public in general to work.

Cheers

3 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

Negative - you might get it

you’ve had it - negative - you might get it again

positive - get the hell out BUT you might get it again

So everybody’s in the same boat

I've often thought the same but the main media seemed to be suggesting that testing would be some kind of cure; of course it wouldn't.

However, if you know you have it, regardless of symptoms, if any at all, you'll know to self isolate until you're over it.

So then these tests are a bit like a human MoT certificate?.....Your body is deemed virus free & negative and you're safe until you leave the testing station.....Then WHOOSH ZOOM!  I'm off to Westminster Bridge on public transport to join the thronging thousands including the Police, Ambulance crews, families an' kids etc, to clap, applaud an' a hoot an' a holler to support an' praise an' show my mucho respect for the NHS, our emergency services and superb key workers.....Whilst I totally ignore social distancing by rubbing shoulders with others as I virtue signal an' take selfies and video the occasion an' everyone in the masseeve close knit  throng in the hope of getting shedloads of likes on my facebook page....and to proudly tell everyone "I wuz there!"......

A fortnight later I'm unfortunately laid up on an ICU bed somewhere with mask on my face breathing 100% oxygen and saying to the NHS nurse in my weak croaky tired voice...."I can't understand where an' how I caught it?....I was cheering an' applauding the NHS a fortnight ago an' was declared virus free?"....."Cough...Cough.....Cough".......An' the Nurse apologetically says...."Sorry darling, it's my break & I've just got to pop away for 15 mins to rehearse with the rest of the gang for our brillo Tik Tok dance....I won't be long....laters"......

1 hour ago, Mello Yello said:

So then these tests are a bit like a human MoT certificate?.....Your body is deemed virus free & negative and you're safe until you leave the testing station.....Then WHOOSH ZOOM!  I'm off to Westminster Bridge on public transport to join the thronging thousands including the Police, Ambulance crews, families an' kids etc, to clap, applaud an' a hoot an' a holler to support an' praise an' show my mucho respect for the NHS, our emergency services and superb key workers.....Whilst I totally ignore social distancing by rubbing shoulders with others as I virtue signal an' take selfies and video the occasion an' everyone in the masseeve close knit  throng in the hope of getting shedloads of likes on my facebook page....and to proudly tell everyone "I wuz there!"......

A fortnight later I'm unfortunately laid up on an ICU bed somewhere with mask on my face breathing 100% oxygen and saying to the NHS nurse in my weak croaky tired voice...."I can't understand where an' how I caught it?....I was cheering an' applauding the NHS a fortnight ago an' was declared virus free?"....."Cough...Cough.....Cough".......An' the Nurse apologetically says...."Sorry darling, it's my break & I've just got to pop away for 15 mins to rehearse with the rest of the gang for our brillo Tik Tok dance....I won't be long....laters"......

Doesn’t mean that social distancing won’t be maintained!

Testing reduces the odds you will get sick. It allows someone infected to be isolated and not spread it. If not infected it allows that person to contribute to the economy if possible. Group your testing to specific towns/citys or industrys and you have a quicker recovery.

You can be tested multiple times.

Edited by KiwiScot

Sorry but test, trace, isolate is the only trusted way out of this situation and then do it again and again and again etc. Never let up, don't get bored of social distancing and test test test.

• Like 2

So if the Govt miraculously ramps up testing to 100,000 a day by next week, how long will it take to test half the population? A long while.

How long will it take to administer a vaccination at the same rate? A long while. Even longer if it relies on a person having to be tested.

We are all in the ****, some a bit deeper than others.

A cheery thought to start the day 🤔

56 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

So if the Govt miraculously ramps up testing to 100,000 a day by next week, how long will it take to test half the population? A long while.

How long will it take to administer a vaccination at the same rate? A long while. Even longer if it relies on a person having to be tested.

Morning  🙂

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

Containment is all we can do, get the infection rate as low as possible then throw tracing and testing resources at pockets of infection in the community, isolate those that are infected and potentially infected and move on.