Sign in to follow this  
Sooty57

The 2019/20/21 season?

Much of the talk of completing the 2019/20 season seems to assume that the 20/21 season will go ahead as planned.  With the general opinion of the scientists being that mass gatherings cannot take place until a proven effective immunisation programme has been administered, and a readily available vaccine being 12-18 months away it would appear that much of the 20/21 EPL season is in doubt. Let's assume that players can resume full training January - a few weeks to get match fit and we are not a million miles away from the point when this season was suspended.

I know it won't happen, but shut everything down (sports wise) and resume this season in March 2021 (including FA Cup).  It's no different to sports that don't straddle two years (e.g. F1, MotoGP, BSB etc.) losing a whole season, which is probably what will happen to most of them.

IMO there will be enough healthcare and testing capacity in place for the players to resume training in the Summer and the PL at least can start next season with games behind closed doors. And IMO the remaining FA Cup games will be played then as well - perhaps at the FA facility at St Georges's Park.

This has been floated before, but the problem is that many teams won't be able to survive until then. Either the season gets completed ASAP (which won't happen), or it gets cancelled so they sort out their liabilities instead of keeping contracted players hanging on and taking a wage whilst no money is coming in.

This season is gone, forget about it and concentrate on the possibility of there being a next season.

• Like 2

I agree with Sooty though also true that if clubs are too survive until then the FA must get a grip and apply a 70 per cent wage cut or 1 million cap for premier league stars and redistribute to smaller clubs.

According to the Sun this morning (yes I know it's the Sun) Boris seems to have agreed to the principle of completing the season behind closed doors as 'it will be good for the country's morale'. 

18 minutes ago, Barry Brockes said:

According to the Sun this morning (yes I know it's the Sun) Boris seems to have agreed to the principle of completing the season behind closed doors as 'it will be good for the country's morale'. 

This would be the same Boris who didn't adher to the guidelines on safety and social distnacing he was telling everyone else to do.

The world is about to change, the plans of people like Boris are no longer relevant.

23 minutes ago, Barry Brockes said:

Country's morale = media companies he's in the pocket of