Sign in to follow this  
 Badger

Fastest Player in the squad

...according to Onel Hernandez?

Guesses please if you haven't seen the Twitter interview.

Many thanks to the NCFSC for arranging this!

The prize goes to VW - it was indeed Grant Hanley. A bit of a surprise to me tbh, although I never thought he was slow as some suggested.

1 minute ago, Badger said:

The prize goes to VW - it was indeed Grant Hanley. A bit of a surprise to me tbh, although I never thought he was slow as some suggested.

He cant be the quickest over the first ten yards surely, but when he gets going he is like an express train . Always thought he looked more suited to Rugby League than Premier league, imagine him running at you from deep!!

That surprised me as well when i watched the Q&A organised by Diane and he did not look the quickest when he got caught out by the Portsmouth player in the cup tie where he got sent off.

8 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

That surprised me as well when i watched the Q&A organised by Diane and he did not look the quickest when he got caught out by the Portsmouth player in the cup tie where he got sent off.

10 minutes ago, Badger said:

If he had been quicker off the mark Badger he would have got to the ball well before the Portsmouth player and cleared any danger. 😛

14 minutes ago, Hillhead said:

😀

Yes he was quick enough there!! 😁

Goodness that was a fantastic moment. Somewhere I have seen an Ipswich fans day out video, where they had footage in their end - made it even better! :classic_biggrin:

I doubt anyone could beat him in a footrace over distance but didn't think he was the quickest over the first few yards. Maybe I'm doing him a disservice.

Big Dunc was the fastest over 100 yards, The Doc had similar attributes, but nippier players would get away from them over the first few.

When playing football it is very rare that full pace over a long distance in a straight line is utilised or indeed measured. Almost always speed of thought, correct anticipation and good positioning reduces or negates the need so it is practically impossible to make a fair assessment of a players raw pace in a match situation.

8 minutes ago, Red Rufus said:

When playing football it is very rare that full pace over a long distance in a straight line is utilised or indeed measured. Almost always speed of thought, correct anticipation and good positioning reduces or negates the need so it is practically impossible to make a fair assessment of a players raw pace in a match situation.

Bobby Moore, of course, being the ultimate example.

No better example than him, another great example, I remember watching Martin Peters making his home debut for us, the idiot near me complained that he couldn't run when he chased an aimless punt up the pitch and was easily outpaced. No point in saying anything to people like that! He didn't need pace he had most other attributes.

16 minutes ago, Red Rufus said:

Indeed but that's the point I was making. If you watched The Doc have a footrace over 30 yards or more he would be able to make up the ground he lost over the first few. Speed on the turn would leave him dead for the first ten.

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

I doubt anyone could beat him in a footrace over distance but didn't think he was the quickest over the first few yards. Maybe I'm doing him a disservice.

Big Dunc was the fastest over 100 yards, The Doc had similar attributes, but nippier players would get away from them over the first few.

Pretty much exactly what I was going to say (apart from Dunc, as I don't remember him!). Over 100m, he probably is fast, but that doesn't make much of a difference if you're running 20m and you're slow for the first 10-20 or can't turn as quickly.

'Fastest' needs to be more specific. Mo Farah would be faster over a certain distance, but I wouldn't fancy him against Usain Bolt in 100m.

40 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Do we have any videos of Grant Hanley sprinting 40-50m full pelt, such as running back into position after a corner? I'm sceptical to say the least, and if Hernandez actually said he was the fastest player in the squad, maybe he was taking the pee?

I do think Hanley is deceptively quick, but he's a big unit so initial acceleration etc. The "You'll never beat the Hanley" season highlights a few times where he catches up with quick forwards and wins the ball.

5 minutes ago, norfolkbroadslim said:

Pirlo's lack of pace didn't do him much harm.

now theres a discussion, Pirlo or Hanley, hmmmm.

6 hours ago, hogesar said:

I do think Hanley is deceptively quick, but he's a big unit so initial acceleration etc. The "You'll never beat the Hanley" season highlights a few times where he catches up with quick forwards and wins the ball.

I too don't think he's as slow as he's made out to be, but I think 'fastest in the squad' is a bit of a stretch.