Well b back

Come on Sarah

1 hour ago, Well b back said:

Spot on, however once it is known what happens long term to your body even after having the asymptotic version people’s minds may be changed. This seems to be a bigger threat to health than all the deaths, but only time will see the % that are effected. But as it stands anyway there is no intention at present to vaccinate under 18s and everyone will have a choice. 
Unfortunately as well whilst there are no cures and whilst long Covid is still not treatable, life will not get back to how it was. If 30 % get vaccinated it will be a longtime before we see a full football stadium again. Even those that have had Covid may well catch it again every year, nobody knows, but we do know whilst it’s untreatable if you give Covid to somebody with cancer that’s a death sentence.

Deaths are much, much higher than the official figures are showing.

Agreed, on a side note, there’s more research in Sweden than elsewhere going on about long term effects of Covid and it’s general infection rates for reinfections, from what is known it should mutate down and even if you could catch it again it should follow other infections with a lesser effect.

Treatments are in place to cut the stay in hospital for Covid, so though numbers are going up for covid hospitalisation the turn around for most should be half the time of March/April.

The issue is that the figures are connected to underlying issues in much older patients, the true numbers should be gauged against the national average deaths per year. As no one knows how many of the 43,000 who have officially been attributed to Covid might have died this year from their underlying issues, I note that the average age of Covid deaths is very high, not sure what it is now but wasn’t it at 80?

Its been a tough year and with the barriers (safety cautious) implemented by the different bodies has definitely put back the vaccine release date by a few weeks. But it’s there now and even if it is only partially effective and we need to vaccinate the vulnerable every year, we will live with it the same as flu.

Things are certainly looking good for 2021 but it could be a rough three months unless one of those vaccines at the final stage gets approval to be used. Not just the UK but as seen all over the world.

Edited by Indy
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Indy said:

Agreed, on a side note, there’s more research in Sweden than elsewhere going on about long term effects of Covid and it’s general infection rates for reinfections, from what is known it should mutate down and even if you could catch it again it should follow other infections with a lesser effect.

Treatments are in place to cut the stay in hospital for Covid, so though numbers are going up for covid hospitalisation the turn around for most should be half the time of March/April.

The issue is that the figures are connected to underlying issues in much older patients, the true numbers should be gauged against the national average deaths per year. As no one knows how many of the 43,000 who have officially been attributed to Covid might have died this year from their underlying issues, I note that the average age of Covid deaths is very high, not sure what it is now but wasn’t it at 80?

Its been a tough year and with the barriers (safety cautious) implemented by the different bodies has definitely put back the vaccine release date by a few weeks. But it’s there now and even if it is only partially effective and we need to vaccinate the vulnerable every year, we will live with it the same as flu.

Things are certainly looking good for 2021 but it could be a rough three months unless one of those vaccines at the final stage gets approval to be used. Not just the UK but as seen all over the world.

Unfortunately there are thousands dieing from Covid that are not being included in the figures due to this 28 day rule. The guy in my link a few posts above will not be included in the figures but clearly died from Covid. Apparently the average person that dies after being in icu would have had the virus for more than 28 days.

Lets hope ( even the asymptotic ) that the thoughts of some are wrong and if you get Covid ( however young or healthy you were ) you are not likely to have heart, lung, kidney or liver damage, either now or later. 

I can’t find the actual statement but according to this statement the Goverment have announced that the Human Challenge will commence in January. Those regular readers of this thread can again congratulate the NY Times for announcing this 2 months ago lol. Only thing I would say is with Pfizer and Oxford results soon to be in will these challenges now be on different vaccines ie Johnson and Johnson that apparently only require one dose and don’t need to be kept at certain temperatures.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02821-4

With the official announcements now regards the human challenge these brave young people should have their names in lights the world over.

• Like 1

Someone on the Brazil trial of Oxford has died of Coronavirus 😒 reading between the lines, it sounds like they were on the placebo trial but its still another bloody unnecessary setback to public confidence in the vaccine.

Poor guy was only 28 as well

Edited by Tetteys Jig

16 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Someone on the Brazil trial of Oxford has died of Coronavirus 😒 reading between the lines, it sounds like they were on the placebo trial but its still another bloody unnecessary setback to public confidence in the vaccine.

Poor guy was only 28 as well

God bless him and his family. When all this is over, people like this should have a day every year around the world where they are remembered. 
Are the anti vaxers trying to say he died but had the vaccine ? Reading between lines as well from other stories I am beginning to think with the Oxford vaccine that for the older generation ( just like the initial monkies ) it is likely that it will protect you more from the severe illness, but plenty will still be able to catch it. If that’s right it puts big question marks over care homes opening back up.

AstraZeneca's Oxford Covid-19 vaccine has successfully provoked a strong immune response in human cells, according to a detailed analysis carried out by independent UK scientists, which proves the science behind the jab is working as intended.

"The vaccine is doing everything we expected and that is only good news in our fight against the illness," said David Matthews, an expert in virology from Bristol University, who led the research.

AstraZeneca, which is developing the vaccine with Oxford University researchers, is seen as a frontrunner in the race to produce a vaccine to protect against Covid-19.

The first data from late-stage large-scale clinical trials being conducted in several countries around the world, including Brazil, the United States and Britain, are expected to be released before the end of the year.

The vaccine - known either as ChAdOx1 or AZD1222 - is made by taking a common cold virus called an adenovirus from chimpanzees and deleting about 20 per cent of the virus’s instructions. This means it is impossible for the vaccine to replicate or cause disease in humans.

The Bristol researchers’ focus was to assess how often and how accurately the vaccine is copying and using the genetic instructions programmed into it by its designers. These instructions detail how to make the spike protein from the coronavirus, SARS-CoV-2 that causes Covid-19.

Once the spike protein is made, the immune system reacts to it

6 minutes ago, Van wink said:

AstraZeneca's Oxford Covid-19 vaccine has successfully provoked a strong immune response in human cells, according to a detailed analysis carried out by independent UK scientists, which proves the science behind the jab is working as intended.

"The vaccine is doing everything we expected and that is only good news in our fight against the illness," said David Matthews, an expert in virology from Bristol University, who led the research.

AstraZeneca, which is developing the vaccine with Oxford University researchers, is seen as a frontrunner in the race to produce a vaccine to protect against Covid-19.

The first data from late-stage large-scale clinical trials being conducted in several countries around the world, including Brazil, the United States and Britain, are expected to be released before the end of the year.

The vaccine - known either as ChAdOx1 or AZD1222 - is made by taking a common cold virus called an adenovirus from chimpanzees and deleting about 20 per cent of the virus’s instructions. This means it is impossible for the vaccine to replicate or cause disease in humans.

The Bristol researchers’ focus was to assess how often and how accurately the vaccine is copying and using the genetic instructions programmed into it by its designers. These instructions detail how to make the spike protein from the coronavirus, SARS-CoV-2 that causes Covid-19.

Great news. I've run out of reactions a long while ago this morning.

4 hours ago, Van wink said:

Great isn’t it! But half the battle is to get it certified for use as we now have a political issue with the US and other agencies to accept our vaccine! Then we have the massive logistical nightmare of distribution, storage and implanting the vaccine.

But how good to know the great work done by the scientific community with help from all those people signing up to the trials. Hopefully the vulnerable will get to have the option to have the vaccine before Christmas.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Indy said:

Great isn’t it! But half the battle is to get it certified for use as we now have a political issue with the US and other agencies to accept our vaccine! Then we have the massive logistical nightmare of distribution, storage and implanting the vaccine.

But how good to know the great work done by the scientific community with help from all those people signing up to the trials. Hopefully the vulnerable will get to have the option to have the vaccine before Christmas.

I suspect we are already doing the approvals for Oxford and Pfizer. It seems strange ( as Tettey reported ) that we know of a coronavirus death in Brazil to somebody on the trial, and we seem to know they were on the placebo, which I understood shouldn’t be discussed till the results were in, but I might have that wrong.
I wonder if Trump put the brake on most when he realised it wouldn’t be ready for 3/11, he was losing the election and the new occupier of the Whitehouse would get all the glory.

12 hours ago, Well b back said:

I suspect we are already doing the approvals for Oxford and Pfizer. It seems strange ( as Tettey reported ) that we know of a coronavirus death in Brazil to somebody on the trial, and we seem to know they were on the placebo, which I understood shouldn’t be discussed till the results were in, but I might have that wrong.
I wonder if Trump put the brake on most when he realised it wouldn’t be ready for 3/11, he was losing the election and the new occupier of the Whitehouse would get all the glory.

I believe the different authorising bodies have different levels of information required as part of the tier three studies, some like the US driven more by politics than rational.

So like you I assume as the information is now becoming available tends to lead us to think not only does the Oxford vaccine actually get reactive response wanted it will be available in batches soon.

All deaths are sad, but thank goodness the poor chap from Brazil was on the placebo or we could be writing off the Oxford vaccine for a few more months!

22 minutes ago, Indy said:

I believe the different authorising bodies have different levels of information required as part of the tier three studies, some like the US driven more by politics than rational.

So like you I assume as the information is now becoming available tends to lead us to think not only does the Oxford vaccine actually get reactive response wanted it will be available in batches soon.

All deaths are sad, but thank goodness the poor chap from Brazil was on the placebo or we could be writing off the Oxford vaccine for a few more months!

This is for everybody really, but I understand the BBC is about to announce on the news mass vaccinations before Christmas. Will update in a while.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Well b back said:

This is for everybody really, but I understand the BBC is about to announce on the news mass vaccinations before Christmas. Will update in a while.

is this for Covid or Flu?

3 hours ago, Well b back said:

Which Christmas?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

is this for Covid or Flu?

It was Midlands today again insisting the vaccinations using Oxford and Pfizer are about to begin and there is now about to be another launched. Went back to get link a couple of hours later and taken down again.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Well b back said:

id seen them, was kinda hoping this might be the big reveal... Still eagerly awaiting confirmation of approval!

1 hour ago, Well b back said:

It was Midlands today again insisting the vaccinations using Oxford and Pfizer are about to begin and there is now about to be another launched. Went back to get link a couple of hours later and taken down again.

really odd these things are getting leaked via such a random outlet like Midlands today! Be good to see the clip

2 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

really odd these things are getting leaked via such a random outlet like Midlands today! Be good to see the clip

They had it down again within 2 hours I was out. I am eagerly awaiting 10:30 to see if it is repeated. I sort of wonder if they are using some of the stored Oxford and or Pfizer and adding those numbers to the trials as Trump seems to have banned all talk of Oxford in the US. Don’t know if you watched last night but he claimed to have 5 vaccines ready of which none of them were Oxford or China, which with Pfizer seem to be the only 3 that close.

7 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Yes, not strange but it’s annoying when you get Jenner saying how positive they are that the vaccine has such a good effect on us, then Bumbling Boris coming out with we might never have an effective vaccine nearly the same day!

To me it’s sounds like Boris doesn’t want to let anything positive out as it might have a big impact on the general public feeling more relaxed, given it’s going to take months to roll it out to be effective.

A full project plan by the government would help on how, where and when......looking forward to that day.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/23/health/covid-vaccine-astrazeneca-johnson-and-johnson.html#click=https://t.co/TZo9tKdwt7 AZ back in the game in USA... Come on Sarah! Bring it home!

edit: is it sad that I genuinely punched the air a little when I read that headline? 😂

Nice one.

The answers we came up with 6 weeks ago. Trump must be fuming his one chance of getting the vaccine in time blown by his own scientists.

13 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

I watched last night and I believe what they are saying is people in the Midlands are being injected with Pfizer and Oxford, but they are clarifying as ‘ part of the trial ‘. They then mentioned a 3rd unnamed vaccine would be used in Birmingham next week ( Johnson and Johnson ? ). Then they had the head of the QE Hospital on who said their staff are now trained to give the vaccine, but they don’t know when the vaccine will be released, could be before Christmas could be after. Why train staff if you are that far away I find myself asking ?

If you put 2 and 2 together and make 5, this almost sounds like the original story as they mentioned people injected so far were Staffordshire and Telford. I wonder ( probably being too optimistic ) is the vaccine here and not being publicised as due to limited numbers to many people would be fighting for it ?. 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Well b back said:

I watched last night and I believe what they are saying is people in the Midlands are being injected with Pfizer and Oxford, but they are clarifying as ‘ part of the trial ‘. They then mentioned a 3rd unnamed vaccine would be used in Birmingham next week ( Johnson and Johnson ? ). Then they had the head of the QE Hospital on who said their staff are now trained to give the vaccine, but they don’t know when the vaccine will be released, could be before Christmas could be after. Why train staff if you are that far away I find myself asking ?

If you put 2 and 2 together and make 5, this almost sounds like the original story as they mentioned people injected so far were Staffordshire and Telford. I wonder ( probably being too optimistic ) is the vaccine here and not being publicised as due to limited numbers to many people would be fighting for it ?. 

So, do I have this right Wbb ?

Are you saying that you think people are already receiving the vaccine(s) on a large scale in the Midlands ?

If so, does that suggest that these are people who have agreed to take part in the trials or that the vaccine(s) have been given approval already ? And the reason they have not officially announced that is that there is not the required amount available (as well as the ability to deliver it) for other areas ?  

15 minutes ago, Mark .Y. said:

So, do I have this right Wbb ?

Are you saying that you think people are already receiving the vaccine(s) on a large scale in the Midlands ?

If so, does that suggest that these are people who have agreed to take part in the trials or that the vaccine(s) have been given approval already ? And the reason they have not officially announced that is that there is not the required amount available (as well as the ability to deliver it) for other areas ?  

They are saying a trial. 
I am just making 5 from 2 + 2. Wish I knew, but if you put everything together just seems to add up to that initial story.

• Thanks 1

•  WSJ NEWS EXCLUSIVE 
  •  HEALTH

Pivotal Studies of Covid-19 Vaccines From AstraZeneca, J&J Resuming 

The testing, paused to probe medical events in study subjects, is restarting after investigators didn’t find a link to the shots

im-244200?width=620&size=1.5

Vials during filling and packaging tests for the University of Oxford’s Covid-19 vaccine candidate; the FDA has decided to let U.S. trials resume.

PHOTO: VINCENZO PINTO/AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE/GETTY IMAGES
By 
Thomas M. Burton
 and 
Peter Loftus
Updated Oct. 23, 2020 5:48 pm ET
  •  
  •  
    TEXT

Listen to this article
6 minutes

00:00
1x

Paused studies of leading Covid-19 vaccine candidates from AstraZeneca AZN 0.08% PLC andJohnson & Johnson JNJ 0.11% are resuming, the companies said Friday.

The restarts mean testing of two of the most advanced Covid-19 vaccines in development can get back on track after their testing had been sidetracked. The testing is crucial for regulators to evaluate whether the vaccines safely protect against the virus and should be given widely.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration had wrapped up an examination of two cases of a possible neurological side effect that emerged in two people in studies testing AstraZeneca’s shot, and said a late-stage trial in the U.S. can resume, according to the company.