Well b back

Come on Sarah

Really Russia is carrying out widespread testing on the population via this strategy, they’ve not tested it enough yet.

a massive gamble, if it works the rest of the world will I hope be grateful to the people involved, if it goes wrong, well let’s hope that doesn’t happen.

• Like 1

Now this is pure guesswork but are we being prepared for that Midlands Today report to be a reality ?. As you probably just saw I put a link for the BBC story re the vaccine. I then went off to do my evening search for vaccine news. In the last 4 hours I have already the same report in 4 different major U.K. papers as well as BBC, ITV and SKY.

Yes I feel the same way WBB. I think there’s a massive worry that a vaccine announcement will lead to an enormous feeling of relief and people will relax and not bother about restrictions. I think these stories are definitely preparing the ground.

• Like 1

Plenty of events have altered life forever and we got on with things just fine. Look at 9-11 and how that altered travel security. I don't think people even bat an eye at the extra measures now.

Once an effective vaccine makes the cut, we will at least have some certainty about loads of things and can target different groups based on circumstance etc. I'm not stupid enough to think it will all be over in 6 months time but I'm hopeful we'll be a hell of a lot more certain of our path out of this mess by then. Maybe, just maybe an effective vaccine and further treatments can actually help us with working out a better track and trace system and enable things like rapid PCR testing at pinch points like airports etc to become a reality.

As for "herd immunity" I think by the end of winter in 6 months, we'll have a better idea on how that all works as well. I've still only seen isolated stories about reinfection and certainly nobody having it worse off 2nd time around.

I'm glad the pharma companies are being cautious with emergency approval for the most part, while we are just about managing to contain things to a low level, it would be a risk that wouldn't be worth taking yet considering we will potentially have full approval by spring next year. Say we got a strong vaccine contender to work and got most of the elderly and front line innocculated, we could then control outbreaks without the need for drastic measures like social distancing as long as people's general behaviour and attitude to general hygiene has permanently improved.

• Like 3

That's a very balanced and indeed hopeful post @Tetteys Jig ...we have to learn to live with this, taking all the best precautions. It might be around for 2 or 3 years for all we know. Time for folk to wise up about not just public health but personal wellbeing.

I want to think that something positive will emerge societally too. I read that that is what pandemics can do. This worldwide 'event' is making us all think about what is important. Perhaps (to end on a philosophical point) that's one of the bigger meanings of all this?

• Like 1

Here it is guys I will put the link up this as soon as it is online.

Midlands Today lunchtime news has just said ‘ A vaccine will start to be distributed this month in Staffordshire and Herefordshire ‘ with mobile units. They even gave the 2 vaccines names.

1 hour ago, Tetteys Jig said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-england-birmingham-54375643?__twitter_impression=true saw this and thought of you WBB! Somethings happening!

Yep TJ it’s official that story 2 weeks ago was spot on. Clearly the guy wasn’t supposed to come on the news and tell us lol. What rubbish reporting though a document ‘ leaked yesterday ‘. Was just booking my flu jab and the receptionist wasn’t one little bit surprised. 
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-54375643

• Thanks 1

It’s all gone very quiet since that bbc report the other day and mysteriously just like similar articles has vanished without trace.

5 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

Yea I knowit’s the Sun but big article saying vaccine is only weeks away, sorry can’t do the link 

Yep

We have been reporting on here that it seems it’s going to be released next 3 or 4 weeks in Staffordshire and Herefordshire. I will be first in quee lol.

2 hours ago, It's Character Forming said:

here ya go

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/12872851/covid-vaccine-nhs-jab-christmas/

Seems a sensible and well thought out update, in the Sun !!!

Thanks as well CF. O look it’s the old leaked documents and 2 different vaccines, although I am beginning to wonder if they have misread that and it’s 2 jabs rather than 2 vaccines.

If it wouldn’t have been for the US trying to mess up Oxford I think the Midlands Today report was initially right and it would have been next week.

The results must be pretty close now for Oxford going by the total number of infections in Brazil alone.

Here’s a shock

Doctors in the West Midlands were last week told to prepare for a vaccine that would be ready by November, with 600,000 doses being manufactured nearby at Keele University.

9 hours ago, Well b back said:

There are reports all over the place that the vaccine will be rolled out over the next couple of weeks. Clearly the bbc were stopped from telling us all the facts.

https://www.theweek.co.uk/108321/leaked-nhs-documents-reveal-plan-for-coronavirus-vaccinations-to-begin-november

bring it on! No amount of lockdown measures and pub closing is going to beat this now so the vaccine is now needed ASAP. My friend is a GP in Manchester and when I mentioned this to him at the weekend, it was the first he heard of it. He mentioned the whole "Transverse Myelitis" thing and said he'd want to read the paper first before he was convinced.

To be fair, this vaccine is going to be the hardest PR campaign ever undertaken from both ends of the spectrum... you'll have half the population desperate for it and half running a mile to avoid it! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

bring it on! No amount of lockdown measures and pub closing is going to beat this now so the vaccine is now needed ASAP. My friend is a GP in Manchester and when I mentioned this to him at the weekend, it was the first he heard of it. He mentioned the whole "Transverse Myelitis" thing and said he'd want to read the paper first before he was convinced.

To be fair, this vaccine is going to be the hardest PR campaign ever undertaken from both ends of the spectrum... you'll have half the population desperate for it and half running a mile to avoid it! 

I’ve queed through the night for tickets at FCR, I might sound mad but I would quee for days for this lol.

Now I must say I had the opposite experience with the nurses at our gp practice ( admittedly I am more Walsall way where this letter is said to have been out for sometime ) who when I went for my flu jab they were happily joining in the conversation and that body language was shall we saying knowing !. 3 nurses and none of them said that won’t be happening. But who knows, I still feel my expectations are that it will still be another month before the efficacy results are in, meaning the first doses will be out before Christmas. I suspect they have already pretty much given emergency approval just need to ensure the efficacy rate is above 50 %. These leaks seem to be following the exact route the government are using for most of the Coronavirus news.

23 hours ago, Well b back said:

Thanks as well CF. O look it’s the old leaked documents and 2 different vaccines, although I am beginning to wonder if they have misread that and it’s 2 jabs rather than 2 vaccines.

If it wouldn’t have been for the US trying to mess up Oxford I think the Midlands Today report was initially right and it would have been next week.

The results must be pretty close now for Oxford going by the total number of infections in Brazil alone.

The original link did quote two different names for vaccines though Wbb, I doubt if they would give the 2 doses different names - though you never know, perhaps it is protocol because it helps avoid confusion.............we need an expert  🙂   

I think it’s all official, I will get the link up tonight once I have checked exactly what they said, but if my wife just heard Midlands Today correctly the first 500 in Staffordshire are receiving this vaccine next week. Watch this space.

• Thanks 1

Around 6 minutes and the vaccine being used is Novax. There is a lot more here about long term Covid if you want to listen to the beginning as well but I will put that on virus main thread. I live just over the border, but my daughter is Staffordshire so may have to reside there for a couple of months lol.

1 hour ago, Well b back said:

Thanks WBB it’s actually 500 for a phase 3 trial of another vaccine, Novavax I think? Not actually the full roll out starting yet, but good news nonetheless- as we’ve discussed before there’s plenty of scope for multiple winners in this race to create a vaccine 😀

Yeah, this looks a lot less exciting than the whole Triumph and Ambush vaccines that are being planned out now but even so, nice to have another phase 3 chance to add to the collection. I think soon we will see real pressure on rushing a vaccine out the rate its currently spreading