Well b back

Come on Sarah

Here is for your info NY Times weekly tracker. There are a few moves including where AstraZeneca have said emergency use of Oxford could be ready by October. This brings more credibility to some of the reports saying Oxford are close to having the number of infections required to move to registration, if indeed it works as surely those results would need to be out by end of September ? latest for this to happen.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/science/coronavirus-vaccine-tracker.html

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, sonyc said:

This is excellent. 
I am going to add an opinion as well. I reckon AstraZeneca are miles ahead of warp speed, so if Oxford works, this article actually gives yet more credibility to it being launched October / November as we already know millions of doses are already being manufactured by AstraZeneca, so if this report proves correct then the reason he gives for the end of the year is it will need to be manufactured, whereas as just mentioned Oxford ( for the vulnerable ) is already manufactured. ( hope that makes sense ).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Well b back said:

It’s like they don’t want it to come to an end lol. Even if the EDP picked up on this thread they could get some real scoops. Did you see the article I posted after ? Basically reporting on this 3 months ago as a suspicion but no trial results ?.

The reporting over the last 2 days has ITV telling us there may never be a vaccine, and others telling us today the NHS are preparing for a second far more deadly wave, beginning September peaking January, February, March. I have no idea ! Reading the foreign press the U.K. are as close as anyone, reading and listening to our press we are miles away, yet politicians seem to think we can go to football ect from October.

I appreciate they don’t want to build up hopes, but please treat us like adults and tell us the truth and either give us hope, or tell us these Companies are not telling the truth and there is no chance of vaccines or treatments in the foreseeable future. I suspect though they know far more than they are letting on as otherwise they wouldn’t all be spending billions on drugs that are never going to work.

I am sick now of being the mad one in people’s eyes that thinks there will be a vaccine soon lol.

Oh, I'm telling people I expect a vaccine soon too, so you're not the only one 🤫

• Like 1

Are we on the home straight ? Western leaders ( Trumps **** aside ) have avoided any comments like these, and we are talking France and Germany

https://www.euronews.com/2020/08/21/macron-reasonable-prospect-of-having-coronavirus-vaccine-ready-in-coming-months

WHO tells us Pendemic will be over within 2 years ? Is this their first admission of a vaccine ? only a week ago it was even With a vaccine this will go on for years !. Why 2 years ? That’s how long it is estimated it will take to inoculate the poorer countries.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-53870798

1 minute ago, Well b back said:

Are we on the home straight ? Western leaders ( Trumps **** aside ) have avoided any comments like these, and we are talking France and Germany

https://www.euronews.com/2020/08/21/macron-reasonable-prospect-of-having-coronavirus-vaccine-ready-in-coming-months

WHO tells us Pendemic will be over within 2 years ? Is this their first admission of a vaccine ? only a week ago it was even With a vaccine this will go on for years !. Why 2 years ? That’s how long it is estimated it will take to inoculate the poorer countries.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-53870798

Good spot WBB....."over in under two years"....I'm not sure of the home straight but maybe we're about to have a pit stop!

• Like 1

This is one of the few political statements I will put on here. As we know 4 weeks ago Oxford told us and the Goverment what was happening and going to happen once they changed the message. They have been proved spot on by the looks of it. Let’s hope some of the treatments that have been mentioned on here work, or alternatively the vaccine is ready for the over 50s and vulnerable over the next few weeks. 
Come on Sarah now is the time to send Adrian out with the latest upto date info.

Don’t know about any of the rest of you but I am ready to take the risk of having the vaccine now ?.

What would you feel if it became available with a disclaimer ?

1 minute ago, Well b back said:

Don’t know about any of the rest of you but I am ready to take the risk of having the vaccine now ?.

As much as the last few months have been doing my, and everyone else's, nut in I am willing to wait until the vaccines are fully tested and checked before going near them. No disclaimers, as little risk as possible and no eye balls a-popping or zombie flesh eating.😀

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Well b back said:

I feel we are only a couple of months away now so better for everybody to complete the full testing programme.

Not sure that a disclaimer would stand up in a court of law anyway 😷

• Like 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53875410 So now prof. Whitty seems to think we have just 9 months of challenging times with the virus now and refused to rule out a vaccine being available this winter... this after the WHO chap said the pandemic will last until the end of 2021, kinda ties in well with a year long worldwide vaccination programme...

Reading between the lines, it seems to me that we are near breakthrough for a working vaccine and may be able to get some emergency doses to those most at need this Autumn with the rest of us getting sorted by early next year.

Bit different from the story ran earlier saying "Coronavirus is here forever". All I thought on that one was that Coronaviruses have been here longer than humans and will continue to be here but not Covid 19, the perfect storm. Perhaps the western govts will take pandemic prep more seriously now and we won't have such a mess for the next pandemic to hit.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53875410 So now prof. Whitty seems to think we have just 9 months of challenging times with the virus now and refused to rule out a vaccine being available this winter... this after the WHO chap said the pandemic will last until the end of 2021, kinda ties in well with a year long worldwide vaccination programme...

Reading between the lines, it seems to me that we are near breakthrough for a working vaccine and may be able to get some emergency doses to those most at need this Autumn with the rest of us getting sorted by early next year.

Bit different from the story ran earlier saying "Coronavirus is here forever". All I thought on that one was that Coronaviruses have been here longer than humans and will continue to be here but not Covid 19, the perfect storm. Perhaps the western govts will take pandemic prep more seriously now and we won't have such a mess for the next pandemic to hit.

Whilst I am a believer that the vaccine will be here later this year, Prof Whitty surely is suggesting it won't be here this year with this quote

He said it was unlikely there would be a vaccine in 2020 but there was a "reasonable chance" of a successful jab being ready for the following winter in 2021-22.

That doesn't seem to tie-in with other news stories but must be what he believes.

1 hour ago, Mark .Y. said:

Whilst I am a believer that the vaccine will be here later this year, Prof Whitty surely is suggesting it won't be here this year with this quote

He said it was unlikely there would be a vaccine in 2020 but there was a "reasonable chance" of a successful jab being ready for the following winter in 2021-22.

That doesn't seem to tie-in with other news stories but must be what he believes.

I took that as in it will be next year its in general circulation. This year it will be ready for select groups

I read Whitty's comments too and concluded there is some positive news ahead but he was simply aiming to lower expectations ahead of the hard winter he alluded to. I think, given that it may be early 2021(?) then (and without counting our chickens) 12 months to develop a workable vaccine will be considered a very big achievement. 

And 2 months later the bbc catch up with human challenge

The whole world is waiting for a Covid vaccine. 

There are now at least 30 experimental vaccines in human trials and thousands of volunteers have been immunised.

But it can take a long time to get results because you have to wait for these volunteers to be exposed to Covid-19 naturally as they go about their daily lives.

A challenge study, by contrast, would involve volunteers being given a Covid vaccine and, a few weeks later, being infected with live coronavirus in order to test whether the jab has protected them.

Results are available immediately but there are risks and ethical questions, which is why no vaccine team has rushed into one. 

Yet there are plenty of people who say they would take part if given the chance.

Alastair Fraser-Urquhart is one of them. He's 18 and has just received his A-level results.

"I'm in the lowest-risk category for Covid so why wouldn't I make that choice and help save other people who would deal with it far worse than me?"

2 hours ago, sonyc said:

I read Whitty's comments too and concluded there is some positive news ahead but he was simply aiming to lower expectations ahead of the hard winter he alluded to. I think, given that it may be early 2021(?) then (and without counting our chickens) 12 months to develop a workable vaccine will be considered a very big achievement. 

he's not one to say things without being very sure of them either like some politicians etc. so I tend to listen to him when he does speak.

Good spots everyone.

There are lots of ways of reading it, but whichever way Whitty has gone from a number of years to a number of months. 
For what it is worth my vote would go for reading it a bit like the Foreign press are reporting ie could be given to the high risk and older as emergency use this winter, then the year would come into play as the world. My thoughts for this come from Australia and India ordering millions of viles and syringes as as mentioned before it will cost more to safely dispose of them if they were not needed.

As we mentioned last week it’s a bit like governments are slowly beginning to prepare us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nevermind, neoliberalism has had it said:

Clambering for a vaccine? not me, unless it has gone through the safeguards and trials all other vaccines have completed before they are let loose for a global profit frenzy. Thanks, but no thanks, inject somebody more gullible and fearty.

Hi

Welcome to the thread. 
The reason our vaccine passes all it’s safety parts is it’s been in manufacture now for several years not just since January. Until there was an outbreak, the scientists knew there would be a Corona Virus, they just had no idea which one. Have a quick glance through as well there are quotes that show what happened years ago could not happen now as they worked out which gene was reacting. A lot of the vaccines being developed are not even a medication as such they are an electrical charge.

Unfortunately it is not just the deaths that are a major concern for this virus but the number of fit healthy people being disabled for the rest of their lives. This virus is different to most before it and unless we have a vaccine it is likely that the virus would kill huge numbers, but just as worrying is the number of people ( far more ) that will be left unhealthy for the rest of their shortened lives.

• Like 2

And here’s the Sky News version. Goes from not a vaccine till end of next year, to ‘ I will be surprised if there is a vaccine for the WHOLE POPULATION this winter. Like we said before why can’t they treat us like adults and say either so far it’s working and this is the earliest or there are complications and we have taken six steps back.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-foolish-to-assume-covid-19-vaccine-will-be-here-for-winter-whitty-12054756

8 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

I took that as in it will be next year its in general circulation. This year it will be ready for select groups

Ah, I kind of took it as a bit more pessimistic and that he didn't expect anything at all this year. Hope I'm wrong  🙂

3 hours ago, Mark .Y. said:

Ah, I kind of took it as a bit more pessimistic and that he didn't expect anything at all this year. Hope I'm wrong  🙂

we'll see, quite telling he didn't rule it out though, was more just trying to get the message to suggest we should plan for winter without a working vaccine and if there is one, its a bonus.

Our friends at the NY Times say the following and interestingly Trump is suggesting a vaccine could be ready before November elections. Another interesting point is that ( forgetting the safety elements ) they say 8 vaccines are ahead of Russia, so if Russia actually works ( again forget the safety ) then so do 8 others.

A cool reception for Russia’s vaccine

Named to evoke 20th-century Soviet space triumph, Sputnik V was supposed to end the pandemic. The Russian vaccine for the novel coronavirus, officially approved this month, was hailed by President Vladimir Putin as “this first, very important step for our country, and generally for the whole world.”
But weeks later, Russian health officials have found themselves on the defensive. The West has criticized their efforts, and just 24 percent of Russian doctors say they will give the vaccine to patients, according to one survey. 
Though Russia’s minister of health, Mikhail Murashko, has dismissed these concerns as foreign jealousy, experts point to a lack of late-stage, large, randomized control trials, ordinarily critical in establishing a vaccine’s safety and effectiveness. Eight vaccines are further along than Russia’s in late-stage trials, including ones produced in the United States, Britain and China. 
International race: The U.S. has poured billions of dollars into a vaccine effort called Operation Warp Speed. But China’s and Russia’s fast-tracked vaccine approvals have led President Trump to, without evidence, accuse the U.S. Food and Drug Administration of slow-walking its trials for political reasons.

Wow. This is an experiment to see how we can safely get crowds back, with human beings as the trialists. The only difference I see between this and human trials is that you have a 100% chance of getting infected with the virus in a human trial.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/23/arts/music/coronavirus-concert-experiment.html?campaign_id=51&emc=edit_MBE_p_20200824&instance_id=21553&nl=morning-briefing&regi_id=141174537&section=topNews&segment_id=36797&te=1&user_id=974bdc9414d93873197a0e53bd27f7aa

• Thanks 1

Well here we go. I will put the whole article up in a minute as it is to do with plasma tests and Trump, but buried inside is this little gem. Tettey do you think it adds anything to the discussion yesterday as to that year meant whole world ?

Meanwhile, a report by the Financial Times suggests the White House is considering granting emergency authorisation for a vaccine being developed by Oxford University and pharmaceutical giant AstraZeneca, ahead of the US presidential election on 3 November. 

The White House has not commented on the story, but a spokesperson for AstraZeneca told Reuters that efficacy results for its trials were not expected until later this year.

Without paying for it I can’t get the whole FT article, but here are the headlines

Trump considers fast-tracking UK Covid-19 vaccine before US election

7 minutes ago, Well b back said:

US allow Plasma. Not sure if this is Trump pushing or it really works though.

Isnt it interesting that the BBC can be very positive about other countries treatments and vaccines and give very few positive reports on ours.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53884710

"experts have questioned the robustness" in the same few sentences mentioning Donald Trump should give us more than a note of caution, ahead of November 3rd I think.

Yet, plasma trials have been ongoing for a while with little snippets of news. Journalists finding something to write about or real progress? It's difficult to determine.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Well here we go. I will put the whole article up in a minute as it is to do with plasma tests and Trump, but buried inside is this little gem. Tettey do you think it adds anything to the discussion yesterday as to that year meant whole world ?

Meanwhile, a report by the Financial Times suggests the White House is considering granting emergency authorisation for a vaccine being developed by Oxford University and pharmaceutical giant AstraZeneca, ahead of the US presidential election on 3 November. 

The White House has not commented on the story, but a spokesperson for AstraZeneca told Reuters that efficacy results for its trials were not expected until later this year.

kind of goes hand in hand with my suspicions really. They will need to be very careful with who they pick first for it and how it's distributed/communicated though... we don’t want this to be a PR disaster and then it impact the mass rollout that will likely be early next year all things equal.

There is a lot of time that goes into QC/QA approval for these things that kind of follows a critical path timeline so no amount of money/personnel can mean you can rush it. There is some scope to speed things through though I suspect everything possible is being done already to speed up the delivery of this vaccine safely through trials.

For the very high risk who's alternative is a really bad struggle with this virus though, I'd imagine we'd balance out the risks and determine its best to use it. As vaccines go, Oxfords doesn't look like it's even potentially risky anyway due to the nature of it. The main risk i'd say would be rushing manufacturing and distribution.

40 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

kind of goes hand in hand with my suspicions really. They will need to be very careful with who they pick first for it and how it's distributed/communicated though... we don’t want this to be a PR disaster and then it impact the mass rollout that will likely be early next year all things equal.

There is a lot of time that goes into QC/QA approval for these things that kind of follows a critical path timeline so no amount of money/personnel can mean you can rush it. There is some scope to speed things through though I suspect everything possible is being done already to speed up the delivery of this vaccine safely through trials.

For the very high risk who's alternative is a really bad struggle with this virus though, I'd imagine we'd balance out the risks and determine its best to use it. As vaccines go, Oxfords doesn't look like it's even potentially risky anyway due to the nature of it. The main risk i'd say would be rushing manufacturing and distribution.

Agreed. I guess they are have already started the approvals based around safety, so they are closer to be ready when the final results of effectiveness are in.

As you know I will always stand to be corrected, but I seem to remember putting up an Oxford report where they were saying this vaccine is a vaccine ( with a couple of tweaks ) that they have used for other things ?