Well b back

Come on Sarah

13 hours ago, Van wink said:

Noticed today the hospital admisssions for influenza are now higher than covid.

The only surprise here is the same didn't happen last year. Lockdowns don't stop spread of endemic disease

31 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

The only surprise here is the same didn't happen last year. Lockdowns don't stop spread of endemic disease

All sorts of possibilities here, maybe the flu vaccine last year was more effective than this, people were also still being careful and limiting contacts, wearing masks etc which will of course have helped in reducing spread of influenza. 

21 hours ago, Van wink said:

All sorts of possibilities here, maybe the flu vaccine last year was more effective than this, people were also still being careful and limiting contacts, wearing masks etc which will of course have helped in reducing spread of influenza. 

With the lockdowns, flu all but disappeared for a while, so now the population immunity is much weaker. It's the same with the strep A deaths.

Well here it is, let the trials for cancer vaccines begin. As was also expected, it seems these vaccines are also working against cancers that you already have, teaching your body to fight the cancer cells. 
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-64176038

Just astonished this is not national news headlines, clearly Harry and William are far more news worthy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 16/12/2022 at 22:23, Barbe bleu said:

That Oxford vaccine had probably saved hundreds of thousands of lives across the world. Unfortunately there were side effects but the balance is firmly with the positive.

The viral vector vaccine  has many advantages over mrna vaccines and it would be a great pity if the West overlooked it.

I'm just wondering what the source is for that? Genuinely curious.

5 hours ago, Well b back said:

Well here it is, let the trials for cancer vaccines begin. As was also expected, it seems these vaccines are also working against cancers that you already have, teaching your body to fight the cancer cells. 
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-64176038

Just astonished this is not national news headlines, clearly Harry and William are far more news worthy.

This could be one of the most important medical trials but as you say, a dysfunctional family makes headlines

3 hours ago, ron obvious said:

I'm just wondering what the source is for that? Genuinely curious.

No one source I am afraid. Just an analysis based on undergraduate level study and a keen interest.

I could explain my rationale in fuller detail but basically there were 3 billion or so doses of the AZ vaccine and it was one of the first out of the block, meaning it did the heavy lifting at the critical time. If you belive that vaccines saved lives (which you do, right?) then this one probably saved more than any other /most others

55 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

This could be one of the most important medical trials 

Hopefully. In fairness to the press though these trials haven't even begun so the news of a breakthrough is going to be someway away yet.

Also, immunological approaches to treatment are not wholly new and bespoke medicine is not cheap.  I think its great that we are doing this and I'm praying for a silver bullet but I'd be happy even if these trials just nudge things on a little. Not sure that's really newsworthy though.

Edited by Barbe bleu

1 minute ago, Barbe bleu said:

Also, immunological approaches to treatment are not wholly new and bespoke medicine is not cheap.  I think its great that we are doing this and I'm praying for a silver bullet but I'd be happy even if these trials just nudge things on a little. Not sure that's really newsworthy though.

.......and private and internal family bickering/disputes are??

I'm reluctant to resurrect the main Covid thread, but it's depressing to see a massive upsurge in cases in China.  Showing very clearly that lockdowns/restrictions are only temporary measures to allow vaccines to be deployed. and for some reason that has not been done very well in China even now.

Early on during Covid the Chinese government seemed to be pushing a line that it was dealing with Covid much better than the West, but that idea has been pretty thoroughly demolished now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, It's Character Forming said:

Early on during Covid the Chinese government seemed to be pushing a line that it was dealing with Covid much better than the West, but that idea has been pretty thoroughly demolished now.

Hardly, although we don't know the true numbers of Chinese deaths (or the UK's for that matter) in the early years of Covid it is very clear that despite having a population 21 times the size of UK that China only suffered a tiny fraction of the number of deaths in comparison to the UK.

Their lockdowns, although very stringent when applied, were far shorter than those employed in the UK (and most other European countries) and I'm pretty sure I'm right in saying that China was the only major economy that recorded any growth at all in 2020 - again performing far better and the European economies especially the UK.

So I think the Chinese are fully entitled to claim that they dealt with Covid much better than the Western countries - until quite recently. Given that success and of course the importance that the Chinese government have attached their Covid policy and its propaganda value to them, it is perhaps all the more surprising that they dropped the ball so spectacularly recently.

1 hour ago, It's Character Forming said:

I'm reluctant to resurrect the main Covid thread, but it's depressing to see a massive upsurge in cases in China.  Showing very clearly that lockdowns/restrictions are only temporary measures to allow vaccines to be deployed. and for some reason that has not been done very well in China even now.

The new variant is from Omicrom and has numerous cases in the US. Obviously it will emerge here. But I understand its purely a darn nuisance to countries, their health systems and economies rather than life threatening.

10 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

The new variant is from Omicrom and has numerous cases in the US. Obviously it will emerge here. But I understand its purely a darn nuisance to countries, their health systems and economies rather than life threatening.

I think that's true where people are properly vaccinated,  but for reasons I don't understand it seems China has big gaps in its vaccine coverage especially among the elderly, hence it's a much bigger problem there.

44 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

I think that's true where people are properly vaccinated,  but for reasons I don't understand it seems China has big gaps in its vaccine coverage especially among the elderly, hence it's a much bigger problem there.

Their vaccine seems fine and used around the world, however the Chinese people themselves did not trust the Chinese government. That’s my understanding.

Dont forget as well ( remember earlier in the thread when we were ridiculed ) the covid vaccines had done most of their safety trials as they were being developed as cancer vaccines, or at least the mRNA ones were.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Their vaccine seems fine and used around the world, however the Chinese people themselves did not trust the Chinese government. That’s my understanding.

Dont forget as well ( remember earlier in the thread when we were ridiculed ) the covid vaccines had done most of their safety trials as they were being developed as cancer vaccines, or at least the mRNA ones were.

😟 that's understandable - the Chinese government has simply removed the Covid restrictions rather than admit their "zero-Covid" policy has failed, and the people are paying the price, so you can understand them being dubious about trusting their government.  But the simple answer is that the people (who have refused) should have taken the vaccine like they have everywhere else.

Just a quick advance notice with the vaccines, it looks like there will be an Autumn Covid boosters. 
It is also recommended that the extremely vulnerable should receive a spring booster.

Edited by Well b back