Well b back

Come on Sarah

1 hour ago, It's Character Forming said:

The next Zoe App webinar is Wednesday 3rd at 4pm (so handily before the Brentford game !)

Title "Covid Vaccines and the Immune system"

They're taking questions in advance, any suggestions ?

There are several reports that suggest antibody neutralisation rates can be/are reduced as a result of single, key, mutations.    Are CD4 and CD8 cells likely to be similarly effected or is their binding mechanism less discriminating and therefore likely to be more 'mutation resistent'?

4 hours ago, Barbe bleu said:

There are several reports that suggest antibody neutralisation rates can be/are reduced as a result of single, key, mutations.    Are CD4 and CD8 cells likely to be similarly effected or is their binding mechanism less discriminating and therefore likely to be more 'mutation resistent'?

Thanks @Barbe bleu will you be submitting that question yourself ?  And, what does it mean 🙂 ?

40 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Thanks @Barbe bleu will you be submitting that question yourself ?  And, what does it mean 🙂 ?

Nope!

Not sure really what it means, but i would be interested in the answer

6 hours ago, It's Character Forming said:

The next Zoe App webinar is Wednesday 3rd at 4pm (so handily before the Brentford game !)

Title "Covid Vaccines and the Immune system"

They're taking questions in advance, any suggestions ?

I attended the last one ICF, a few technical problems to start but otherwise a good watch, would recommend to anyone with the interest and time.

• Like 1

On 22/02/2021 at 10:30, Tetteys Jig said:

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/19107740.coronavirus-scotland-vaccination-linked-substantial-reduction-hospital-admissions/

Oxford/AZ smashing it out of the park with these early indicators!

My arm is ready for my go on Thursday Sarah!

Ended up with Pfizer surprisingly enough! Shame as I was really looking forward to being a proper ripped chimpanzee as well! Jab 2 in 12 weeks...

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Ended up with Pfizer surprisingly enough! Shame as I was really looking forward to being a proper ripped chimpanzee as well! Jab 2 in 12 weeks...

image.thumb.png.c3f16674bbc5172f0c4947674c92f407.png

**** I have my jab tomorrow but I already look like that! What the hell will I look like after I have the AZ jab! Fingers crossed for the European Pfizer jab 😂👍

18 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

my wife had the AZ one... I just thought she'd been getting lazy down there recently... 😳

You s e xy man.

• Confused 1

Indeed, good news, we now wait to see the current vaccine results again the variants out there, hopefully they will still be strongly effective.

On 25/02/2021 at 12:39, Barbe bleu said:

There are several reports that suggest antibody neutralisation rates can be/are reduced as a result of single, key, mutations.    Are CD4 and CD8 cells likely to be similarly effected or are their binding mechanisms less discriminating and therefore likely to be more 'mutation resistent'?

Van wink actually provided most of the answer to this today.

Or as Bill might put it, I have largely answered my own question...

Good news

"A crucial wing of the immune system appears to be just as good at recognising all the new coronavirus variants, a study has found.

In laboratory tests, T-cell responses in those vaccinated or previously infected with coronavirus were largely unaffected by each of the key variants. This included the new Brazilian variant, found in small numbers in the UK last week.

The new findings suggest that even if people are able to be reinfected by the variants, some of which are believed to partially evade our first immune response, the body will have key tools for preventing severe disease.

However, the scientists behind the findings cautioned that the protective abilities of the T-cell response remained to be proven in the field.

“If you have a good T-cell response you may not be able to prevent infection, but you should be able to soften the blow,” Professor Alessandro Sette, from the La Jolla Institute for Immunology in San Diego, California, said. “That is important. The opposite scenario would have been really concerning, if the new variants had been able to evade both the antibody response and the T-cell response.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Thanks SONYC

As I have mentioned before I suspect the mRNA jabs will be altered for lots of things such as cancers so this is probably likely.

"Britain’s Covid-19 vaccines may stop people passing on the virus“almost completely”, the head of immunisation at Public Health England has revealed.

Dr Mary Ramsay said grounds for hope that vaccination may achieve the holy grail of halting community transmission were emerging from new studies.

“What we don’t yet know is how long that might last and whether or not that will be enough to stop the infection spreading more widely in the population over time,” she told Radio 4’s Today on Tuesday 

“But there’s really very good signs that this is going to at least reduce infection rates across the population, and hopefully ... prevent people passing it on almost completely if they’ve been vaccinated fully.”

• Thanks 1

Sarah beginning to get awards for her astonishing work, well done Sarah.

Prof Gilbert was speaking after receiving the Royal Society for Arts, Manufactures and Commerce (RSA) Albert Medal. She said it was a "great honour". 

Previous winners include Winston Churchill, Marie Curie, Alexander Graham Bell, Stephen Hawking and Tim Berners-Lee.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Sarah beginning to get awards for her astonishing work, well done Sarah.

Prof Gilbert was speaking after receiving the Royal Society for Arts, Manufactures and Commerce (RSA) Albert Medal. She said it was a "great honour". 

Previous winners include Winston Churchill, Marie Curie, Alexander Graham Bell, Stephen Hawking and Tim Berners-Lee.

And has her own thread named after her here ☺️

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, sonyc said:

And has her own thread named after her here ☺️

😂 an honour she shared with the current and previous presidents of the USA and Prince Philip.

And Dave Chisnall 😂🤔  

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

😂 an honour she shared with the current and previous presidents of the USA and Prince Philip.

And Dave Chisnall 😂🤔  

Indeed.

This quiet little corner of the country honours more people than Lord Nelson!☺️

Seriously,  I reckon WBBs thread would make for an interesting read should Sarah ever stumble upon it. On the whole it honours a very important subject very creditably. Full of research, information updates from around the world, arguments and debates, data, theories .....not to ignore the sheer hope....it's all here isn't it!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, sonyc said:

Indeed.

This quiet little corner of the country honours more people than Lord Nelson!☺️

Seriously,  I reckon WBBs thread would make for an interesting read should Sarah ever stumble upon it. On the whole it honours a very important subject very creditably. Full of research, information updates from around the world, arguments and debates, data, theories .....not to ignore the sheer hope....it's all here isn't it!

Sounds like you summed up our championship season there Sonyc 😂👍

10 minutes ago, nevermind, neoliberalism has had it said:

where can I sign up for the Astra Zeneca /Pfizer experiment, if they are compatible it should/could be providing a better all round protection, according to a biochemist I know.

https://comcovstudy.org.uk/participate

Thats the link to sign up for that study but I dont think any of the areas are recruiting volunteers atm. I suspect its too late for that one.

Any update on how the Oxford vaccine protects against severe Covid? Pfizer was reported as preventing severe cases in people who still caught Covid but not sure if this has been confirmed for Oxford?

6 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Any update on how the Oxford vaccine protects against severe Covid? Pfizer was reported as preventing severe cases in people who still caught Covid but not sure if this has been confirmed for Oxford?

Good news on Pfizer v Brazilian variant today ICF

The Pfizer vaccine is able to neutralise the highly contagious Brazilian P.1 variant, a study has found.

Blood from people who had received the Pfizer/BioNTech jab was effective against a version of the virus engineered to carry the same mutations as P.1, according to research published in the New England Journal of Medicine.

The vaccine's efficacy against the Brazilian variant was roughly the same as against a less infectious strain from 2020, scientists said.

Pfizer has previously found that its vaccine is able to neutralise other highly contagious variants that were first found in the UK and South Africa.

Public health experts have said that the Brazilian coronavirus variant has currently not reached the UK in sufficient numbers to present a major threat to the vaccine roll-out, amid evidence it is up to 2.2 times more transmissible. 

The P.1 variant is thought to have originated in Manaus, where it was able to reinfect a significant number of residents who had developed antibodies from previous infections.

• Like 1

I think there has been something mentioned that T cell response is effective for AZ and Pfizer against the new variants but the above study suggests the response from Pfizer may give an even stronger response “roughly the same as for the previous strain” we will have to wait and see.

I don’t think you will get a choice, in my case I was going to be given Pfizer but the decision changed after I had mentioned certain aspects of my medical history.

I would be delighted to have either vaccine ICF👍

Edited by Van wink