Well b back

Come on Sarah

Woke up early especially.

Get in. 
Who gives a stuff we only got a point last night, this is the biggest news ever, what a day.

Sarah Gilbert and Andrew Pollard ( as per page 1 ) who we had never heard off what an achievement, and from my heart, thank you, thank you, thank you. Your team altering the vaccine over a weekend to work against coronavirus, what scientists.

What a day, more to follow from around the world as I wake up.

• Like 3

Great news indeed WBB, the news broke on my phone as I sat down to my first cup of tea of the day!

My first thought was to post the link on your thread, I hope you don't mind WBB.

4 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

Great news indeed WBB, the news broke on my phone as I sat down to my first cup of tea of the day!

My first thought was to post the link on your thread, I hope you don't mind WBB.

Absolutely not. 
Most won’t see it this way ( I am 60 ), but from achievement this matches the moon landing.

If anyone sees efficacy data ( I am waiting for Jenners press release ) please put it on as everyone so far is being very lazy and saying 62 % 70 % average, but I don’t reckon that’s right.

First comments found

Pascal Soriot, chief executive of AstraZeneca, said: "Today is an important day for millions of people in the UK who will get access to this new vaccine.

"It has been shown to be effective, well-tolerated, simple to administer and is supplied by AstraZeneca at no profit."

Professor Andrew Pollard, director of the Oxford Vaccine Group who led the clinical trial, said: "Though this is just the beginning, we will start to get ahead of the pandemic, protect health and economies when the vulnerable are vaccinated everywhere, as many as possible as soon possible."

In all the people mentioned AstraZeneca should stand out as well, as without their agreement to proceed at no profit, this would never have happened.

4 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Absolutely not. 
Most won’t see it this way ( I am 60 ), but from achievement this matches the moon landing.

I won't disagree with that WBB, the stakes were also so much higher with the vaccine.

Very, very late to bed last night and have awoke to this news! Excellent. Puts Ncfc into proper context for me. Rates are doubling here and this is at last the proper calalry. 

Thanks for this thread and all the posters for the solidarity and WBB of course.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Well b back said:

In all the people mentioned AstraZeneca should stand out as well, as without their agreement to proceed at no profit, this would never have happened.

Another good quote.

1 hour ago, Well b back said:

@Tetteys Jig must be working or fast asleep lol

As he has said over the last few days about Oxford his silence is deafening 

I was enjoying tier 2 while we still have it...

What fantastic news to wake up to! Now we can crack on and get the population vaccinated!

I wonder they will still run  extended trials on the big dose/little dose regime and the oxf/sputnik combination of vectors 

My wife, daughter and sister in law have just conceded, I wasn’t mad.

Maybe I will get listened to in the future - or maybe not

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

I wonder they will still run  extended trials on the big dose/little dose regime and the oxf/sputnik combination of vectors 

Pretty sure they will continue exploring all avenues as you never know what might turn up

5 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Pretty sure they will continue exploring all avenues as you never know what might turn up

Indeed MHRA have just confirmed a rolling approval 

1 minute ago, Well b back said:

MHRA advise 2 doses 4 - 12 weeks apart.

all age groups over 18

Rolling approval

So at 1m jabs a week, that's say 30 weeks to get half the population vaccinated. Say by June we may be out of the woods? Unless we can improve on that rate but the Pfizer roll out has been slower but presumably that's because of the logistics and storage as well as limited stock?

9 minutes ago, sonyc said:

So at 1m jabs a week, that's say 30 weeks to get half the population vaccinated. Say by June we may be out of the woods? Unless we can improve on that rate but the Pfizer roll out has been slower but presumably that's because of the logistics and storage as well as limited stock?

This is the real concern. Many will runaway with the news as politicians try to to take credit for the good news dropping their guard.

BUT - Nothing changes until the Spring at the earliest with the general 'herd' immunity question. The darkest days are ahead I'm afraid for Covid.

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Another good quote.

That actually brought a tear to my eye. If I get my life back through their efforts and hard work, I will forever be in their debt. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

This is the real concern. Many will runaway with the news as politicians try to to take credit for the good news dropping their guard.

BUT - Nothing changes until the Spring at the earliest with the general 'herd' immunity question. The darkest days are ahead I'm afraid for Covid.

Thanks. I agree. I'm watching the briefing right now on Sky news. Some cautious notes in voices coming across, but that is fine. Sky making out it is experimental and lots of ongoing study. That makes sense and what you may expect.

I was worried that I may not be able to have it too (gluten intolerant since this February). But that now seems answered.

We have quite a bit of time to go with the gap between shots (12 weeks being talked about a lot).

These are indeed dark days Yellow but an end is at least in sight. 

Without being too political, this government throws the term ‘world beating’ with gay abandon, but if we can truly be world beating in one area, please let it be the roll out of the vaccine. 

44 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Has a good ring to it

Dame Sarah Gilbert

Sir Andrew Pollard

Sir Pascal Soiriot

Yes but are these are just the top of a big team.  Truth probably is that no one person deserves recognition above the others