Well b back

Come on Sarah

It does restore some of the faith lost in humanity when you see what these scientists have achieved. I was have glad of this thread as well WBB, it has also shown that on serious subjects where other threads have become so polarised, this one has remained largely untainted.

On a side note,the reality of it is for my household, is that my wife (an HCA) will be vaccinated on New Years Day! And being CEV I am hoping that I might also get it around the end of Jan beginning of Feb. But having the wife immune will surely lessen the household risk somewhat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Well b back said:

And I forgot that group of people that worked over the weekend when they received the simulation of the virus, that managed to develop a vaccine in 2 days.

Think that’s all of them lol

I saw this on the BBC Panarama programme I believe? Yes, bloody amazing!

4 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

It does restore some of the faith lost in humanity when you see what these scientists have achieved. I was have glad of this thread as well WBB, it has also shown that on serious subjects where other threads have become so polarised, this one has remained largely untainted.

On a side note,the reality of it is for my household, is that my wife (an HCA) will be vaccinated on New Years Day! And being CEV I am hoping that I might also get it around the end of Jan beginning of Feb. But having the wife immune will surely lessen the household risk somewhat.

That’s great news.

It makes so much difference. The lady next door is nearly 90. We have all looked out for her, but it’s company she needs. She was one of the very first to be vaccinated so her confinement will soon come to an end, however of course she is warned she could still pass it to people entering her house so the more vaccinated the better.

Of course it is suggested that once the pandemic is ended we will be developing these vaccines to make the body immune to cancers ect. This has been a very difficult year, however I think the word is every cloud has a silver lining what with the advancement of science and the ways we have learnt to deal ( purely by accident ) with things like flu.

We all know the importance of anything the Serum Institute says and here is there latest press statement.

India's Serum Institute expects approval for AstraZeneca vaccine in days

The Serum Institute of India, the county's maker of the Oxford/AstraZeneca coronavirus vaccine, said it expected the government to approve the vaccine for emergency use in a few days.

Serum Chief Executive Adar Poonawalla also told reporters that the company had already made 40 million to 50 million doses of the vaccine. 

The country is also set commence a dummy vaccination exercise in four states today , with each state delivering does to 100 people across two districts to trial its cold chain distribution. 

After the US, India has been one of the hardest hit countries in the world with 147,901 reported deaths from coronavirus. 

we're into the dates Sir John Bell said now... the silence is deafening.

If its as good as the results claim then I don't see what the big fuss is about getting people on board with it. Most people are on board and the ones that need it most certainly are. Most negative things said about these vaccines that aren't completely deluded such as Bolsanaros fair point about the companies not taking any liabilities (in amongst his more deluded rant) should be debunked fairly quickly when it's clear how many lives are saved and how it's our ticket back to a safe normality. The proof is in the pudding as they say.

Every day we wait is potentially another thousand or so lives lost at the current rates. I was genuinely disappointed we didn't manage to get this emergency approved earlier for the care homes and front lines. We could have avoided much of this current pressure on the hospitals. I understand they have made a point of demonstrating that things have been done properly but it has come at a huge cost.

The silence is deafening...

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

we're into the dates Sir John Bell said now... the silence is deafening.

If its as good as the results claim then I don't see what the big fuss is about getting people on board with it. Most people are on board and the ones that need it most certainly are. Most negative things said about these vaccines that aren't completely deluded such as Bolsanaros fair point about the companies not taking any liabilities (in amongst his more deluded rant) should be debunked fairly quickly when it's clear how many lives are saved and how it's our ticket back to a safe normality. The proof is in the pudding as they say.

Every day we wait is potentially another thousand or so lives lost at the current rates. I was genuinely disappointed we didn't manage to get this emergency approved earlier for the care homes and front lines. We could have avoided much of this current pressure on the hospitals. I understand they have made a point of demonstrating that things have been done properly but it has come at a huge cost.

The silence is deafening...

Must say I am already giving up on today, getting fed up with constantly doing new searches.

Hopefully this is all drawing  to a close now.

We appear to be close to approving a cheap, robust vaccine and (in the UK at least) have the sort of disease and genetic surveillance that can react quickly if and when it resurfaces, hopefully in much reduced form.

I wonder if the world will see more value in vaccinations and invest accordingly. A lot of countries have been talking for a long time about their 'moon mission' maybe this will be happening and the likes if the cancer vaccines you talk of can finally take off after a decade of just languishing.

Imperial College continuing with the human challenge trials.

The Imperial human challenge trial is being run by hVivo, a spin-off company from Queen Mary University of London. Already roughly 2,000 people have signed up to take part in challenge studies in Britain through the group 1Day Sooner. 

Those testing the vaccine will be given the jab and will then wait a month for antibodies to build. The volunteers will then be exposed to the virus.

Rather than giving people a weakened form of the illness, the Imperial vaccine instead uses synthetic strands of genetic code based on the virus' genetic material. 

2 hours ago, Daz Sparks said:

Spot on Daz Sparks. You cannot easily have a simple exchange of differing views on the other threads because someone is so defensive of their point of view. You want to get to understand something, the 'why' of a different viewpoint. That way, you can compare your own take. This thread stays on track. 

Good luck for your quick vaccination.

I share the frustration that the Oxford vaccine approval hasn’t come through yet but the MHRA isn’t a rubber stamping exercise and if there’s a problem they’ll get unbelievable flak so I can understand them making sure before they sign it off. I really hope it’s tomorrow (or still even today) though!

It’s also down to organised vaccine centres too! I think we’re not ready for mass immunisation yet, I can see the next two days will be quiet then come New Year’s Eve we’ll get the announcement and those recruited to help in the mass centres will know dates for each area.

Probably as said the 4th onwards will see us go! 

This may just explain today’s delay

He added that AstraZeneca believes the vaccine will be effective against the new strain of the coronavirus, but was running tests to confirm it.

• Thanks 1

Britain’s drug regulator could clear the shot for use as early as this week, according to a person familiar with the matter, who asked not to be identified because the deliberations are confidential. 

Good morning

Will this be the day history is made. Serum Institute have just posted

The Serum Institute of India, which is manufacturing the Oxford-AstraZeneca coronavirus vaccine in India, on Monday said that around 50 million doses of the vaccine, are ready. A top official further said that the company will be able to scale up capacity to around 100 million by March next year. 

The Telegraph are teasing, but I think at 8:02 am they are guessing.

We have got the cavalry coming," said Matt Hancock when the Pfizer vaccine was rolled out earlier this month and now it has emerged the Oxford vaccine has been approved.

Here is some info just released by the Serum Institute ( you probably only need the first paragraph wouldn’t copy an paste ). I appreciate India are waiting for the MHRA first, but at this rate they will approve it before us lol

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/expecting-covid-vaccine-approval-soon-50-million-doses-ready-serum-institute-ceo/articleshow/79995874.cms

11 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Another day, no Oxford

Reassuring in one way, frustrating in the alternative. 

27 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Reassuring in one way, frustrating in the alternative. 

Think it’s almost definitely the ‘ new formula ‘ that is being looked at. Serum Institute seem to think it is as good as approved and they have 50 million doses ready and have upped production to almost max.

46 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

Says in that article that there has been  no formal application for approval.   Why on earth not?  Why does there have to be a formal application if the data has been handed over? 

This is very odd

It's the way that bureaucracies work. The bigger the bureaucracy the more steps in the process. 

good news indeed

two full doses approved ?  Sounds like the emphasis will be on getting the first dose into as many people as possible ..the Blair project?

Edited by Van wink

Game changer for the UK, despite the increasingly bad news with the number of cases and hospitalisations, this truly is the light at the end of the tunnel.

Yep, saw this as breaking news this morning..................fantastic, now let's get on and get it into people 🙂