Well b back

Come on Sarah

3 hours ago, Well b back said:

Following on from that a piece from professor Mills who attended the vaccination meetings.

https://www.research.ox.ac.uk/Article/2020-11-10-covid-19-vaccine-reliable-communications-needed-to-beat-infodemic-of-misinformation

She is right of course but trying to close the social media Pandora's Box is going to be hard. So much bad info is swirling around at the moment that getting sane voices heard over the noise will be essential but tricky.

9 minutes ago, Herman said:

She is right of course but trying to close the social media Pandora's Box is going to be hard. So much bad info is swirling around at the moment that getting sane voices heard over the noise will be essential but tricky.

It will be very important to simply stick to facts and not shout back. 

21 minutes ago, Well b back said:

It will be very important to simply stick to facts and not shout back. 

I lost that ability a long time ago.😀

Another reason for Oxford hopefully working. Do I have my sums right ? Our 5 million Moderna doses will cost £200 million. Our 100 million Oxford doses will cost £300 million. Coca-Cola have raised $2billion, that won’t go far if they are buying them from Moderna. And these figures are per dose and I assume the 2 doses are not buy 1 get 1 free.

Oxford’s vaccine is likely to be considerably cheaper, probably costing under £3 a dose, compared with potentially nearly £40 for Moderna’s and half that for Pfizer’s. It can be stored in ordinary fridges rather than freezers, which is a big advantage, especially for worldwide use.

Oxford results being here by Christmas sounds a long way off but let’s try a bit of reverse psychology.

Oxford results will be here within 4 weeks and 3 days.

Did anyone else get their email from the vaccination trial team today ?. Answered a big question around one of our discussions and confirms you would get the NHS jab if it was your turn even if you had begun a trial.

When an approved Covid-19 vaccine is made available through the NHS and you are part of the group “called up” to have your Covid-19 vaccine, you will not be at a disadvantage because you are taking part in a Covid-19 vaccine trial. There is no need to take any action now, but when you are called up please speak to your research team who will be able to advise you about your individual situation. You can also find further information at the end of this newsletter. 

2 bits of News

Fauci says 40 million Americans should be vaccinated in December with their 2nd jab in January.

China say one of their vaccines has now been used on 1 million ( yep 1 million ) Chinese with no adverse effects.

Bill Gates on CNN just said AstraZeneca immune levels are much higher the Pfizer and Moderna. He also repeated MRNA vaccinations will likely vaccinate against some cancers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Cheers Sonyc

Gates said so much last night couldn’t take it all in. Indeed he mentioned Pfizer had invented boxes for transportation that worked with dry ice. 

Nations begin to make plans

Spain expects to vaccinate "a very substantial part" of its population within the first half of next year, Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez announced on Friday.

"Our country, Spain, will be the first country in the EU, along with Germany, to have a complete vaccination plan," he said, adding that full details would be presented at a cabinet meeting on Tuesday.

Spain is home to 47 million people and has been badly affected by the pandemic,

Pfizer begin their next steps, applying for emergency use in USA, with others including the U.K. in discussions

Pfizer and its partner BioNTech say they will apply for emergency authorisation in the US for their Covid-19 vaccine on Friday.

It will be the job of the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to decide if the vaccine is safe to roll out. It is not clear how long the FDA will take to study the data. However, the US government expects to approve the vaccine in the first half of December.

Data from an advanced trial showed the vaccine protects 94% of adults over 65.

The trial involved 41,000 people worldwide. Half were given the vaccine, and half a placebo.

The companies said in a release that they have also begun submissions for authorisation in areas including the UK, Europe, Australia, Canada and Japan, with a up to 50 million doses expected to be produced by the end of this year, followed by as many as 1.3 billion doses in 2021.

The UK has pre-ordered 40 million doses and should get 10 million by the end of the year.

6 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

That is amazing news TJ and seems to line up with Fauci’s statements. 
Is this relying on the Oxford vaccine being ready ?

Hancock will not comment on how long it will take the regulators, however the Goverment have formerly asked the regulators to assess for emergency usage.

1000 people enter trial to be given the new antibodies. This if successful will be used for people that do not gain the required immune response from a vaccination.

If FDA authorisation does come in the first half of next month, Pfizer and BioNTech will "be ready to distribute the vaccine candidate within hours", the two companies said.

This would be remarkably quick for vaccine development - within 10 months of detailing the genetic code. The average wait for approval in the US is nearer eight years.

Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla said on Thursday that the filing for emergency use was a "milestone in our journey to deliver a Covid-19 vaccine to the world".

Initial doses would be scarce, though, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDCP) will decide who is first in line.

14 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Breaking news

Oxford is 70% effective.

Oxford AstraZeneca Covid vaccine has 70% efficacy, data reveals

Vaccine developed by AstraZeneca and Oxford University shows average efficacy of 70% in protecting against virus

Mon 23 Nov 2020 07.18 GMT

A coronavirus vaccine developed in the UK can prevent 70.4% of people from getting Covid-19, according to new data.

Oxford University and AstraZeneca announced their jab is effective in preventing many people getting ill and it has been shown to work in different age groups, including the elderly.

Sarah Gilbert, professor of vaccinology at the University of Oxford, said: “The announcement today takes us another step closer to the time when we can use vaccines to bring an end to the devastation caused by (Covid-19).

“We will continue to work to provide the detailed information to regulators. It has been a privilege to be part of this multi-national effort which will reap benefits for the whole world.”

Oxford University said that interim analysis from its phase three vaccine trial shows that the 70% effectiveness comes from combining two dose regimes. One was 90% effective, the other 62%.

In a statement, Professor Andrew Pollard, director of the Oxford Vaccine Group and chief investigator of the Oxford Vaccine Trial, said: “These findings show that we have an effective vaccine that will save many lives. Excitingly, we’ve found that one of our dosing regimens may be around 90% effective and if this dosing regime is used, more people could be vaccinated with planned vaccine supply.

“Today’s announcement is only possible thanks to the many volunteers in our trial, and the hard working and talented team of researchers based around the world.”

His colleague, Professor Sarah Gilbert, Professor of Vaccinology at the University of Oxford, said: “The announcement today takes us another step closer to the time when we can use vaccines to bring an end to the devastation caused by SARS-CoV-2. We will continue to work to provide the detailed information to regulators. It has been a privilege to be part of this multi-national effort which will reap benefits for the whole world.”

AstraZeneca’s chief executive Pascal Soriot, said: “Today marks an important milestone in our fight against the pandemic. This vaccine’s efficacy and safety confirm that it will be highly effective against Covid-19 and will have an immediate impact on this public health emergency.

“Furthermore, the vaccine’s simple supply chain and our no-profit pledge and commitment to broad, equitable and timely access means it will be affordable and globally available, supplying hundreds of millions of doses on approval.”

The UK has placed orders for 100 million doses of the Oxford vaccine - enough to vaccinate most of the population - with rollout expected in the coming weeks if the jab is approved.

It also has orders for 40 million doses of a jab from Pfizer and BioNTech, which has been shown to be 95% effective. Another jab from Moderna is 95% effective, according to trial data.

Business secretary Alok Sharma said the results of an interim analysis of the University of Oxford and AstraZeneca’s coronavirus vacccine candidate were “very promising”.

He tweeted: “Very promising data from the Oxford/AstraZeneca Phase III clinical trials. We are on the cusp of a huge scientific breakthrough that could protect millions of lives. The UK has secured early access to 100m doses of their vaccine - on top of 255m doses from other developers.”

Edited by Van wink
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Pockthorpe said:

I’m a bit confused . At the risk of sounding like an idiot why would’ve you use the dose regime that’s 90% . 

I’m sure they will but I’m not sure they really understand why that happened. I think the 90% is achieved by the first dose being a smaller dose than the second which also presumably gives you more available vaccine if less is used.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Van wink said:

I’m sure they will but I’m not sure they really understand why that happened. I think the 90% is achieved by the first dose being a smaller dose than the second which also presumably gives you more available vaccine if less is used.

That would be a great result . Hopefully as it’s still only now breaking news , all will be explained in more detail to slow coaches like me as the day goes on ! 

Distribution will be easier. Plus, manufacturing is underway. Massively significant in view of the tiers being planned and heavy restrictions being planned. Surely, this scheme is the route out? 

14 minutes ago, Van wink said:

The little said yesterday is part of a sub trial which was being done on different age groups. The 70% results are primarily from the 55 and under fit age groups, since summer additional different older age groups were added with smaller initial dose, this showed better effectiveness, added to wider age group after initial better results. But it’s only a small group tested in the 90% effective group. TJ / WBB will no doubt back this up.

I had a chat Friday with my toxicologist friend involved, he said it’s a game changer as 70% effectiveness and the easy of transportation and storage means heard immunity by the summer.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Indy said:

The little said yesterday is part of a sub trial which was being done on different age groups. The 70% results are primarily from the 55 and under fit age groups, since summer additional different older age groups were added with smaller initial dose, this showed better effectiveness, added to wider age group after initial better results. But it’s only a small group tested in the 90% effective group. TJ / WBB will no doubt back this up.

I had a chat Friday with my toxicologist friend involved, he said it’s a game changer as 70% effectiveness and the easy of transportation and storage means heard immunity by the summer.

Sarah saves the world, it seems it wasn’t Dolly Parton😉

• Haha 1