Well b back

Come on Sarah

Anyone see Hancock on Question Time ? Was that a slip, was it not really meant or maybe I misheard, we are working with Pfizer and AstraZeneca on the roll out.

Seems to be more of a fight to get the vaccination than people saying they don’t want it. Why are we not getting it first I hear the audience saying !.

Russian vaccine results beginning to get some coverage. 

The World Health Organisation (WHO) says it is in talks with the Russian institute that developed the Sputnik V candidate vaccine against COVID-19 over its potential application for emergency use listing.

It was found to be 92% effective following interim trials, and if granted, the WHO would effectively be recommending its use to member states.

The procedure streamlines the process by which new and unlicensed vaccines and other products can be used during a crisis, such as the coronavirus outbreak

• Thanks 1

The problem of course is the small numbers, only 20 positives compared to Pfizer’s 94, however Sarah Gilbert says

Sarah Gilbert, a vaccinologist at the University of Oxford, UK, agrees that the Sputnik V results should be interpreted cautiously because of the small number of cases. But she is encouraged, because the vaccine her team is developing with pharmaceutical company AstraZeneca also uses an adenovirus to expose the immune system to the coronavirus spike protein. “Seeing the Russian results, albeit from a small number of endpoints, does indicate that we would expect to see high efficacy, but we have to wait and see,” she says.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Well b back said:

The problem of course is the small numbers, only 20 positives compared to Pfizer’s 94, however Sarah Gilbert says

Sarah Gilbert, a vaccinologist at the University of Oxford, UK, agrees that the Sputnik V results should be interpreted cautiously because of the small number of cases. But she is encouraged, because the vaccine her team is developing with pharmaceutical company AstraZeneca also uses an adenovirus to expose the immune system to the coronavirus spike protein. “Seeing the Russian results, albeit from a small number of endpoints, does indicate that we would expect to see high efficacy, but we have to wait and see,” she says.

What a fortunate coincidence the Russian vaccine is so similar to the Oxford/Astra one 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, It's Character Forming said:

What a fortunate coincidence the Russian vaccine is so similar to the Oxford/Astra one 😀

I do have my suspicions that its basically just the Oxford vaccine with a different name 😆 all the better for some positive results though. Its been pretty clear for a couple of months what the deal has been with the AZ/Pfizer dual approach since the stories we got in September about "Triumph and Ambush" so I'm hopeful its a "when not if" for the Oxford vaccine interim results.

There was also talk yesterday of the Pfizer vaccine being supposedly okay for a few days out of -70 storage which would be a big help. I just hope their best before dates are M & S style rather than Lidl 😆

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, It's Character Forming said:

Indeed ICF, maybe they should call it Larceny V rather than Sputnik V😉

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, It's Character Forming said:

Not really as shared information was open back in April. On the flip side it shows just how effective the Oxford vaccine should be and no issues with storage temperature with a very much cheaper cost than Pfizer.

1 hour ago, Tetteys Jig said:

I do have my suspicions that its basically just the Oxford vaccine with a different name 😆 all the better for some positive results though. Its been pretty clear for a couple of months what the deal has been with the AZ/Pfizer dual approach since the stories we got in September about "Triumph and Ambush" so I'm hopeful its a "when not if" for the Oxford vaccine interim results.

There was also talk yesterday of the Pfizer vaccine being supposedly okay for a few days out of -70 storage which would be a big help. I just hope their best before dates are M & S style rather than Lidl 😆

Up to Days once removed from the -76 deg required temp apparently, hopefully more info will come as things move forward.

My sons college class had a positive. He was sent home but all 3 of us have just got a temperature. Off to the test centre at 3, fingers crossed for a negative.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Well b back said:

My sons college class had a positive. He was sent home but all 3 of us have just got a temperature. Off to the test centre at 3, fingers crossed for a negative.

Hope you're ok WBB.  I think one of the hardest things to deal with at the moment is that whenever you feel the least bit poorly, you're worried it may be Covid, although here obviously proper grounds for concern.  Let us know how it goes.

21 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Hope it's all okay WBB. 

I had a temperature in August, feeling week and Zoe suggested getting a test. Came back negative. Fingers crossed for you all.

Thanks all.

That was disgusting, hopefully all ok, feel fine, just a bit hot and sore throat for me. Blimey can’t believe the size of the quee to get in. My son was in fits as I was gagging lol. 

• Like 1

Presumably for future work ? And not Covid.

NEWS: The future of a critical professorship in vaccinology has been secured thanks to a generous donation. This will enable Prof Sarah Gilbert, who has 25 years of experience in vaccine development, to continue her ground-breaking research

40 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Thanks all.

That was disgusting, hopefully all ok, feel fine, just a bit hot and sore throat for me. Blimey can’t believe the size of the quee to get in. My son was in fits as I was gagging lol. 

Best wishes, hope all ok. 

Back with 3 negatives in our house.

Unfortunately my daughters house not so lucky with grandson and granddaughter both positive, but being 7 and 9 they are already getting over it after a rough couple of days. Suspect we will have some more in that house, unfortunately our son in law is a shielded but is only mid 30s so hopefully ok. All because somebody thought it a good idea to assume their symptoms were not cv and went to work as well in a pub, wearing a mask at no time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Well b back said:

Facebook, google, twitter sign up to stop anti vaxers

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54947661

If you have ever discussed with, face to face, a conspiracy theorist, you will find out just how weak their arguments are, the problem is the internet gives them oxygen , and it's difficult to persuade them their views are lunacy. They most often counter with the argument that you are brainwashed by the 'establishment', whoever the 'establishment' are. 

Empirically, over the years we all make our own judgements, when you read or watch a news article which you have first hand, cast iron knowledge of, invariably you will see factual errors in the reporting, mostly this is precipitated from the need for instant news and/or lazy journalism. However, when time is allowed, the truth tends to come out.

With regards to anti-vaxxers, they are on the most dangerous end of the conspiracy theory spectrum, and deserve special attention, particularly in the current climate.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Daz Sparks said:

If you have ever discussed with, face to face, a conspiracy theorist, you will find out just how weak their arguments are, the problem is the internet gives them oxygen , and it's difficult to persuade them their views are lunacy. They most often counter with the argument that you are brainwashed by the 'establishment', whoever the 'establishment' are. 

Empirically, over the years we all make our own judgements, when you read or watch a news article which you have first hand, cast iron knowledge of, invariably you will see factual errors in the reporting, mostly this is precipitated from the need for instant news and/or lazy journalism. However, when time is allowed, the truth tends to come out.

With regards to anti-vaxxers, they are on the most dangerous end of the conspiracy theory spectrum, and deserve special attention, particularly in the current climate.

Hi Daz

Yes I have always looked at these things in the past and laughed ( not just anti vaxers ) and thought who on earth would believe that. However the days we are in over the last few days I have thought about not just this but lots of other things. In the past things people have said you could laugh at, however to me the world has moved into a different place where lots more people are reading different opinions, so many more people than ever before see that information and are actually interested. The difference at this time is some of those conspiracy theories can actually kill somebody, and a bit like dangerous driving the people at risk are others. 
As TJ pointed out the other day people will say because it carries a warning on the back it is not safe. As he pointed out in that case you shouldn’t be taking paracetamol or putting on a plaster as they carry the same warning.

There will however be a future debate to be had, depending on how good the vaccines are in each age group. I wouldn’t be shocked to see some countries ( until there are at least proper treatments ) telling people they can’t enter without the jab. Likewise events with crowds, I suspect you will at least have to have a test if no vaccination unless of course the efficacy rate is near 100 % in those at risk groups. 

2 hours ago, Well b back said:

Hi Daz

Yes I have always looked at these things in the past and laughed ( not just anti vaxers ) and thought who on earth would believe that. However the days we are in over the last few days I have thought about not just this but lots of other things. In the past things people have said you could laugh at, however to me the world has moved into a different place where lots more people are reading different opinions, so many more people than ever before see that information and are actually interested. The difference at this time is some of those conspiracy theories can actually kill somebody, and a bit like dangerous driving the people at risk are others. 
As TJ pointed out the other day people will say because it carries a warning on the back it is not safe. As he pointed out in that case you shouldn’t be taking paracetamol or putting on a plaster as they carry the same warning.

There will however be a future debate to be had, depending on how good the vaccines are in each age group. I wouldn’t be shocked to see some countries ( until there are at least proper treatments ) telling people they can’t enter without the jab. Likewise events with crowds, I suspect you will at least have to have a test if no vaccination unless of course the efficacy rate is near 100 % in those at risk groups. 

If you put a plaster on, it’s because you’re already cut, if you take paracetamol it’s because you are already in pain. Why should a person that this virus poses practically no risk to need take a vaccine? If someone doesn’t want it, because they don’t need it, that doesn’t make them anti vax. it’s freedom to make their own choices for their own body. If you’re advocating going down the route of digital health passports and other measures to limit people’s ability to live a normal life, free to make their own choices then that will take us down a very dark and dangerous path

Edited by Teemu’s right foot

2 hours ago, Teemu’s right foot said:

If you put a plaster on, it’s because you’re already cut, if you take paracetamol it’s because you are already in pain. Why should a person that this virus poses practically no risk to need take a vaccine? If someone doesn’t want it, because they don’t need it, that doesn’t make them anti vax. it’s freedom to make their own choices for their own body. If you’re advocating going down the route of digital health passports and other measures to limit people’s ability to live a normal life, free to make their own choices then that will take us down a very dark and dangerous path

And where have I said that please ? We are talking about people saying you are being injected by a chip, or x is trying to kill people or even don’t take the vaccine as it’s proven to be unsafe. If somebody doesn’t want it, that’s down to them in the UK. Misinformation will be stamped on by all social media. 

Under 40s ( possibly 50s ) will not initially even be offered the vaccine. Children will certainly not be offered a vaccination. Wether that situation changes depends on the future efficacy rates. 
The plaster and paracetamol comments were connected to comments made on here about the vaccine carrying a warning about a safety warning. 

What other countries will do is something else. At present when you go or return to and from different countries you are asked to quarantine. Some Countries have already indicated they will make the vaccination compulsory, the U.K. have said they won’t. What we don’t know is what those other countries will say about people going into their countries without a vaccination at least until there is a treatment. If however the vaccine is highly effective in all age groups then it will always be that the taking of the vaccine does not even have to be recommended. If however the initial vaccines give little protection to some age groups then I am sure people will be encouraged to take the vaccine. You are not compelled to take the flu jab, but the uptake this year due to the recommendation has seen outlets being swamped. 

3 hours ago, Teemu’s right foot said:

Why should a person that this virus poses practically no risk to need take a vaccine?

Don't take this the wrong way, I am merely offering an answer to the question you have asked. 

The reason they should have it is this, the vaccine equally poses practically no risk and by being vaccinated, each individual will pose much less of a risk of spreading the virus to someone whom is at much higher risk.

Edited by Daz Sparks
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

Don't take this the wrong way, I am merely offering an answer to the question you have asked. 

The reason they should have it is this, the vaccine equally poses practically no risk and by being vaccinated, each individual will pose much less of a risk of spreading the virus to someone whom is at much higher risk.

Hi Daz

I didn’t say that lol I was responding to the person that did say that.

You are absolutely correct and have answered that part of the question that he posed superbly.

1 minute ago, Well b back said:

Hi Daz

I didn’t say that lol I was responding to the person that did say that.

You are absolutely correct and have answered that part of the question that he posed superbly.

Sorry WBB, I quoted from your post, but meant to quote Teemu's right foot. My bad!

• Thanks 1