Well b back

Come on Sarah

2 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

Gone very quiet ?

It has.

If you listen between the lines it’s probably more likely that results are in or almost in and anyone’s story ( such as BBC Midlands Today ) that says it’s a leak disappears the next day.

On an interesting note though China have now signed up to COVAX leaving US out on a limb and the only major Country not willing to help the world ( guess that will change if Biden wins ). Consequently ( it is reported, but not official ) WHO have in front of them the first vaccine for approval, which is a Chinese one. This story I will follow over the next few days.

Johnson and Johnson paused.

Is this the one being the trial in Staffs ?. Sure it will be back up and running soon.

Johnson & Johnson has temporarily paused its multinational Covid vaccine trial to investigate why one participant in the study fell ill.

The company says an independent review will check if the person's unexplained symptoms are related to the jab.

It has suspended recruitment to the phase 3 trial as a precaution.

The company says that in large trials with tens of thousands of volunteers it is expected that some may become unwell during the study period.

It said it could not give more details about the participant, for privacy reasons.

"We're also learning more about this participant's illness, and it's important to have all the facts before we share additional information," it said in a statement.

It is not the first Covid vaccine trial to have to take a pause. 

The UK's Oxford University study had an unexplained illness too, but has since deemed it safe to resume, except for in the US where regulators are still in discussions with the manufacturer Astra Zeneca.

The Johnson & Johnson trial started recruiting participants in late September, with a goal of enrolling up to 60,000 volunteers across more than 200 sites in the US as well as in South America and South Africa.

2 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Wow

That is amazing news. Looks like Trump might get his vaccine after all ?. The US have put so much into this vaccine can’t believe they don’t know what’s going on ?

I wonder if this is the one WHO are reportedly looking at ? I assumed it was one of the Chinese ones.

Well done TJ for spotting this, hopefully it means what I think it means, i.e. they have completed their testing and are applying to start using it ?

Hopefully the MS media will pick this up before too long and explain it !

1 hour ago, It's Character Forming said:

Well done TJ for spotting this, hopefully it means what I think it means, i.e. they have completed their testing and are applying to start using it ?

Hopefully the MS media will pick this up before too long and explain it !

Yep.

Plenty were congratulating them. 
Have we bought this one in the U.K. ?

4 hours ago, Well b back said:

Wow

That is amazing news. Looks like Trump might get his vaccine after all ?. The US have put so much into this vaccine can’t believe they don’t know what’s going on ?

I wonder if this is the one WHO are reportedly looking at ? I assumed it was one of the Chinese ones.

doubt it, in other articles, it says it will be end of the year earliest but its still very promising news!

I believe the WHO are looking at the Chinese one which id assume would be the next step for this moderna one if it all goes well

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tetteys Jig said:

doubt it, in other articles, it says it will be end of the year earliest but its still very promising news!

I believe the WHO are looking at the Chinese one which id assume would be the next step for this moderna one if it all goes well

Yes I understood it was the Chinese one, but if reports are to be believed I don’t think we will go for this one as it seems to protect the young and less so the older you get, but that is not a medical paper but a couple of newspaper reports.

12 hours ago, Well b back said:

Yes I understood it was the Chinese one, but if reports are to be believed I don’t think we will go for this one as it seems to protect the young and less so the older you get, but that is not a medical paper but a couple of newspaper reports.

I feel like there will be geopolitical logistics that go into vaccine delivery and China will work with Russia and much of South East Asia so if they have a viable vaccine, its less for the US and EU to worry about long term when the idea of immunising the masses comes in

• Like 1

Here is a bit of news that may or may not be relevant. Probably just coincidental but Biden was talking yesterday about being happy to take the vaccine and then

Mexico's President Andrés Manuel López Obrador has announced that he will take a Covid-19 vaccine - if doctors approve the treatment.

The president did not elaborate on what vaccine it was that he would take. 

A number of vaccines are being developed around the world. 

Mexico has the fourth highest number of deaths with 85,285 fatalities. A total of 834,910 cases have been confirmed since the outbreak began there.

I will watch to see if anymore join the quee in the next couple of days.

As we suspected, Pfizer results now expected end October. If all goes well authorisation will be sort mid November. Still reckon Boris thought this would be out about now.

Pharmaceutical giant Pfizer has confirmed it will not apply for emergency authorisation for its Covid-19 vaccine before late next month - puncturing President Donald Trump's hope for a virus jab before the 3 November presidential election. 

In a statement, Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla said the company may know whether or not their vaccine is effective by the end of October, but that the time needed to collect safety and manufacturing data will push the authorisation date several weeks later. 

"We are operating at the speed of science," he said. 

Trump has hinted that a vaccine might be ready before Americans go to the polls next month, fueling speculation that the timeline is politically motivated.

At a town hall event last night, Democratic challenger Joe Biden said he would take a vaccine when it becomes ready, if "the body of scientists" say it is safe.

Lots of places reporting now, and it clearly is Oxford ie 2 doses and may protect some from there more serious symptoms rather than the actual virus. The Sky story is clearly The Midlands Today story but being confirmed by SAGE, just a little later than they initially thought.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-54573288

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-more-than-one-vaccine-will-be-available-early-in-2021-sage-scientist-says-12107285

Not for me thanks. I’ve no interest in having this for quite a few years. If people want it then that’s up to them. But I’ve no interest in having a vaccine that’s been produced, tested and distributed in under a year for something that I’ve a 99.99% chance of surviving. 

58 minutes ago, Teemu’s right foot said:

Not for me thanks. I’ve no interest in having this for quite a few years. If people want it then that’s up to them. But I’ve no interest in having a vaccine that’s been produced, tested and distributed in under a year for something that I’ve a 99.99% chance of surviving. 

Hope I don’t catch it off you

1 hour ago, Teemu’s right foot said:

Have the vaccine then. That’s the purpose of it and then you won’t 

you know that the vaccine will never be 100% accurate right? Especially for the older lot. You will still be spreading to these people potentially and each person that refuses to take these vaccines slows down a return to "normal" and keeps their risk of catching covid much higher.

Your best bet it to reserve judgement until the paper is released upon approval to market.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Teemu’s right foot said:

This is completely false information regards the it being produced in under a year. 
The chance of you dieing may or may not be 99.99%, but what is it for your your pregnant wife, parents, grandparents, elderly friends let alone the economy. 
Have you also written into 99.99% what will happen to your heart, kidneys, liver, lungs even if you are asymptotic as those scenarios are only just being found out.

It will be everyone’s own choice wether they have a vaccine or not ( at least initially ) however you really should not be spreading false information that may stop somebody else who desperately needs it being vaccinated.

2 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

you know that the vaccine will never be 100% accurate right? Especially for the older lot. You will still be spreading to these people potentially and each person that refuses to take these vaccines slows down a return to "normal" and keeps their risk of catching covid much higher.

Your best bet it to reserve judgement until the paper is released upon approval to market.

Spot on.

At least when the paper comes out people will see this was a vaccine that was in production for a number of years. The extra good news is that all this social distancing and hygiene measures seems to have eaten into flu if not Covid. Just goes to show how as humans many of us ( me included ) could have been far more hygienic than we were, hopefully something we have all learnt. Maybe when mass crowds come back to football there will be as big quees at the sinks to wash your hands as there is at the urinal.

I do appreciate free speech ect but I do wonder if it will become a criminal offence to spread fake information.

• Like 1

Here is Van Tams quote re the results. Add to that I think we have already learnt that any statements are always worse case scenario we must be very close, no thanks to Trump in the end trying to push his own Agenda with Moderna.

Professor Van-Tam is said to be expecting third stage results from the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine by the end of November.

2 hours ago, Well b back said:

This is completely false information regards the it being produced in under a year. 
The chance of you dieing may or may not be 99.99%, but what is it for your your pregnant wife, parents, grandparents, elderly friends let alone the economy. 
Have you also written into 99.99% what will happen to your heart, kidneys, liver, lungs even if you are asymptotic as those scenarios are only just being found out.

It will be everyone’s own choice wether they have a vaccine or not ( at least initially ) however you really should not be spreading false information that may stop somebody else who desperately needs it being vaccinated.

Given my age and health i am highly unlikely to have any problems with this virus so why would I have the vaccine? If people are vulnerable or want to have the vaccine then they should do so. If people don’t want it they shouldn’t be vilified for that either and I don’t want it, I don’t have or want the flu one either

5 hours ago, Teemu’s right foot said:

Given my age and health i am highly unlikely to have any problems with this virus so why would I have the vaccine? If people are vulnerable or want to have the vaccine then they should do so. If people don’t want it they shouldn’t be vilified for that either and I don’t want it, I don’t have or want the flu one either

To be fair, you probably won’t need to take it if you’re fit and healthy and under 35 years old. If we can get 40% of the population, the oldest and the most vulnerable vaccinated the virus will run its course. There might be a case for vaccinating annually or biannually but the severity will be down graded to the same as Flu.

Edited by Indy
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Indy said:

To be fair, you probably won’t need to take it if you’re fit and healthy and under 35 years old. If we can get 40% of the population, the oldest and the most vulnerable vaccinated the virus will run its course. There might be a case for vaccinating annually or biannually but the severity will be down graded to the same as Flu.

Spot on, however once it is known what happens long term to your body even after having the asymptotic version people’s minds may be changed. This seems to be a bigger threat to health than all the deaths, but only time will see the % that are effected. But as it stands anyway there is no intention at present to vaccinate under 18s and everyone will have a choice. 
Unfortunately as well whilst there are no cures and whilst long Covid is still not treatable, life will not get back to how it was. If 30 % get vaccinated it will be a longtime before we see a full football stadium again. Even those that have had Covid may well catch it again every year, nobody knows, but we do know whilst it’s untreatable if you give Covid to somebody with cancer that’s a death sentence.

Deaths are much, much higher than the official figures are showing.